Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Book: The Savvy Converts Guide to Choosing A Religion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do, and I'll try not to stick my foot in my mouth.

Where do the extremists get the kill non-believers thing? Probably from the same place so-called "christians" bomb abortion clinics, carrying things out of context too far?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't feel too bad, that last question I put up is THE question of religion, of all religions. If not faith that yours is the one then where is the objective proof that any one is better or truer than another. Buddhists, Muslims and any others most likely have the same convictions that you do of your subjective religious experiences and results to prayers. If they didn't they probably wouldn't continue with that line of belief for very long. And there really is room for everybody, even us toenail worshipers!

There's nothing wrong with admitting to faith, so long as it is not taken to the extremes that impose on anyone else's faith. And that's why I bought this book, it looks at them all equally.

I'm not Ahmad but I'll chime in just cos...
    I believe the ministers of religions are the ones who drive all extremism, whether it be Osama Bin Laden driving Al Qaida or Rev. Donald Wildmon driving anti-McDonalds and anti-gay sentiments. There are the Operation Rescue Christians who have their own ministers who likely drive such sentiments within their own sect. A good title for a book on religion would be "The Joy of Sects".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was just the equality of Christ to buddha, etc. I didn't take offense though. BTW, my best friend in the whole world is Cherokee (and she's purdy :-) and she's a Christian instead of a native religion practicer. Anyone can practice anything. I just don't have to agree. :-) ... and you don't have to agree with me. Free will is a gift. I'll believe the Bible, but I won't cram it down your throat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Indiana Gardener View Post
    I do, and I'll try not to stick my foot in my mouth.

Where do the extremists get the kill non-believers thing? Probably from the same place so-called "christians" bomb abortion clinics, carrying things out of context too far?

There are quotes in the Qu'ran that say "Kill the nonbelievers when you find them", but this was talking about the pagan Arabs who were trying to kill the Prophet Muhammad (SAW). Many Republicans take these quotes and say that Islam is a violent religion (which it's not)

The reason why some Muslims perform terrorist attacks is because of things like America supporting Israel (Israel is cruel to the Muslims living there), and carpet bombing Afghanistan and Pakistan and stuff. Not to mention America runs Guantanamo Bay ("Sh it-whole" in Spanish), which is basically a concentration camp for Muslims.

These terrorist attacks are committed in retaliation of the injustices done to Muslims around the world, not because they believe in martydom or 77 virgins (which is a false stereotype. There is no such thing as 77 virgins)
    "I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one."

Wolfn's Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    >There is no such thing as 77 virgins>
    Not in today's world! LOL Made me grin. :-)

I don't doubt the meanness, but why do Muslims wants Israel's land? Would be like Canada coming to take Montana or us going and taking Manitoba wouldn't it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahmad, which denomination (if that's the word) of Islam are you and where is your family from? I used to be fascinated by Sufism, but never considered myself one.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Indiana Gardener View Post
    >There is no such thing as 77 virgins>
    Not in today's world! LOL Made me grin. :-)

I don't doubt the meanness, but why do Muslims wants Israel's land? Would be like Canada coming to take MT wouldn't it?

Well, the Muslims were already living there when the UN decided to make it a Jewish country after the Holocaust. Today, the Israeli Army bulldozes Muslim homes (occasionally with the house still occupied), and treats the Muslims like crap.

A very similar example is the Native Americans and the settlers. The Native Americans were living in America, when the settlers came and said it was their God-given right to move in and try to wipe out the Native Americans.

Wolfn's Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by herenorthere View Post
    Ahmad, which denomination (if that's the word) of Islam are you and where is your family from? I used to be fascinated by Sufism, but never considered myself one.

I'm actually a convert to Islam. I've been following Islam since about 2006. I'm half Native American (Ojibwe tribe).

I follow Sunni Islam, the Hanafi sect. However, I prefer to be known as a Muslim, not Sunni.

As for Sufis, the rest of us don't really like them. They seem to be too mystical and are almost like hippies. That's basically the best I can describe them.

Wolfn's Growlist