User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Blatantantly political discussion, but...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blatantantly political discussion, but...

...hopefully constructive.

So, I can't say I've been politically active for very long. In fact, I'd have to admit that I'm one of those young'ns that Obama has inspired to emerge from disenfranchisement and try to participate in American democracy.

However, I'm being introduced the the fun dodge-parry-retort maneuvers of political debate on this forum in ways I'm not usually challenged with, be it from never being around heavily-political people or surrounded by people with similar views. I do have to commend this forum for showing me the blood-boiling world of differing political outlooks.

Well, I'm no debater. I'm a decent writer and an award winning orator(H.S. Academic Decathlon, but hey, being 2nd in all of Texas and 1st in my region was kinda cool), My real strong suit, however, comes from being raised by a bunch of psychologists(family, not institutions XD). So, in true theraputic form, I have a question that should enlighten all of us in a very simple way as to what is really going on politically here. Plus, I'm just curious.

Since most of us are fairly aware of who most of us are voting for, what would the candidate opposing your choice have to do for you to decide to vote for him? Purely hypothetical, of course, many of us will tow party lines irregardless of changes, myself included, and for those who are undecided, throw in your opinion on both candidates.

Ultimately, I'd like this to not turn into a debate, but for those who would like to share, please do come forward and enlighten us. In an expression of pure campiness, politics has separated everyone, this much is clear in any particular presidentially-related thread in this forum alone, much less the rest of America rallying with great, terrible separation along so many views. So I'd like to see where the middle ground lies among you all, at least, so discussions can at least flow along lines of what we really want, as opposed to bashing one party against another, as politics has lured us in to doing.

Firstly, I would be more likely to vote for McCain If he adopted a more hospitable form of healthcare (treatment for PUNishing beatings included). I really, really don't like this tax credit business, and I personally would not mind the extra tax; sales, income or otherwise. And speaking of which, I'm for anyone who would raise the minimum wage to at least something where the average person can lease an apartment without imminent fear of making rent on time. There's nothing worse than going to school and working a job or two without the money or time to enjoy simple frivolities like bowling or watching a movie or two just to keep your sanity. I'm sure plenty of people could understand that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my biggest issue with Obama isnt so much with him but his blind supporters....Obama says he is for one thing but his record shows the opposite.....typical politician....no better no worse other than his record on the second amendment is hideous given the fact he was trained in and taught constitutional law.........what torques me of most is his supporters that try to get me to accept that he is anything other than a career politician......want me to take what he says at the gospel truth and ignore his record.....if he really wanted to do change he would have tried to change the most currupt political machine outside of DC when he spent 8 years as apart of it but he didnt........

with McCain i dont agree with him half the time but what he says he can back up with his record.......so atleast for a politician i can believe over half of what he says even if i dont agree with it.....does he screw up sometimes? sure but he is human after all...he has also been highly against pork spending and because of it his voting record shows he is interested in changing how the government works internally....than you look at his running mate who has the highest approval ratings of any governor.....she took the republican party in her state head on cause she felt they were currupt and she won and it turns out they were......she took on big oil, negotiated more money and turned around and gave it to the residents of the state instead of putting it into state coffers........

now i step back and ask myself which ticket actually has tried to invoke change in the system? and which is just talking about it?
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Obama is less likely than McCain to something stupid on a whim or in a moment of fury. After almost 8 years of a president who's the king of doing stupid things, I want a president who doesn't do stupid things.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by herenorthere View Post
    I think Obama is less likely than McCain to something stupid on a whim or in a moment of fury. After almost 8 years of a president who's the king of doing stupid things, I want a president who doesn't do stupid things.
    So what can McCain do to override this perceived susceptibility?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good point..............but i do believe all of us here will agree McCain has more than a few IQ points on GW..........so im willing to deal with that risk........
    cervid serial killer
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's McCain's personality and it isn't going to change after 70+ years. In my opinion, a sometimes uncontrollable temper is a disqualifies from being president.

I don't know if McCain is smarter than W. Both were spoiled underachievers and I think both graduated deep in the bottom of their class in their elite, legacy schools.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both were spoiled underachievers and I think both graduated deep in the bottom of their class in their elite, legacy schools.
    yeah but likely for different reasons im fairly sure most of Bush's was do to lack of intellegence.......McCain strikes me more as a rebelious kid......besides after the primo education that was given to him that it appears he intentionally fumbled, reality did gave him one hell of a ***** slap across the face and i do like how he handled himself during that.....like i said i dont agree with him half the time but that still puts him way ahead of Obama in matching my beliefs.......
    cervid serial killer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly I am not so much for Obama as I am against McCain. He supported and continues to support the constitution usurping Patriot Act. He supports extending the powers of the Patriot Act, further removing our rights. He supports expanding our military so he is cleary swayed by the military industrial complex which honestly coupled with his belief that Americans should lose more rights scares the crap out of me. His idea on foreign policy suck. He picked a running mate who tried to set women's rights back 30+ years. He also supports measures that would take away womens rights.

I agree with rattler that Obama is a career politician, but I would rather have a career politician in office than someone who reminds of too many dictators. Obama also has a much better view on foreign policy in my opinion. I like the idea of universal health care but I am not sure our government can run it, but at the same time the way health care is running now in this country is not working. I too wonder if Obama can acheive the changes he talks about. I am not super thrilled about Obama but McCain/Palin just plain scare me. Her running the country when that old guys heart gives out that is truely a scary notion, unless Canadians attack mounted on moose, in which case she is the one we need. LOL.

Also as a side note I think someone who has spent 20+ years in our federal govt. qualifies as a career politician too.
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast