Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: She lied about it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was not just Ashley Todd who was trying to use racism to promote McCain, it was the McCain campaign. Seedjar provided the evidence. The McCain campaign, through its Pennsylvania communications director, tried to cement the relationship of Todd’s imaginary assailant with Obama and raised the racial temperature of the story by asserting that the backwards “B” that Todd said was carved on her cheek stood for “Barack.” The McCain campaign had no basis for this assertion, as the whole story was made up in the first place. Okay, maybe it’s not proof that the McCain campaign is using racism, but it’s more evidence, which is piling up. I almost feel sorry for the Republican commentators on the news channels who have to defend the McCain campaign.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tropics View Post
    It was not just Ashley Todd who was trying to use racism to promote McCain, it was the McCain campaign. Seedjar provided the evidence. The McCain campaign, through its Pennsylvania communications director, tried to cement the relationship of Todd’s imaginary assailant with Obama and raised the racial temperature of the story by asserting that the backwards “B” that Todd said was carved on her cheek stood for “Barack.” The McCain campaign had no basis for this assertion, as the whole story was made up in the first place. Okay, maybe it’s not proof that the McCain campaign is using racism, but it’s more evidence, which is piling up. I almost feel sorry for the Republican commentators on the news channels who have to defend the McCain campaign.
    well..there is definite proof of at least one thing here! if nothing else..
    there is a lot of proof in this very thread how things can just get made up out of thin air..
    and then get repeated over and over as indisputable facts..
    and a lot of proof that some people will believe anything they read, if it supports what they want to hear..

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're right. The McCain campaign made up the idea that the backwards "B" stood for "Barack," hoping that McCain supporters would believe it because it supports what they want to believe. In this case, though, the McCain campaign, after realizing that the story was untrue, didn't want it repeated because it would show how desperate the campaign was.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think I would say the McCain Campaign planned this girls breakdown, this is the sort of thing I said might happen to a portion of the public who is wound up too tightly about race (my "paradigm shift" theory). But I do agree that they would have used it in a minute as McCain's own Willie Horton scare tactic, had she held to her story (and the black eye not washed off). Some of you are probably too young to know about the "Willie Horton; Angry Black Men out Wilding" scare put on by Bush 1.0 back in the 1988 campaign (this girl would have only been around one at the time). Here's a link to the Wiki article on the fiasco: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willie_Horton

Now before someone comes out of right field and claims I'm a murder/rapist lover or something, what I'm alluding to is that the "scary black man" idea is partly what helped pappy Bush get in - they were able to milk the idea from that summer on, not just the last couple weeks. But it's a good scare tactic, and I hate to say it but for the "real america" areas they are concentrating on, these kinds of stories get great play. I should know, I've lived in "real america" all my life witnessing/experiencing first hand.how well diversity of any sort is tolerated. My dad ran away from home in AR, 1956 because he couldn't deal with the racism, he says what I think of as injustice nowadays is nothing in comparison to his home sweet home. He refuses to go back there because of the memories, even though I offered several times to take him to visit his dad before he dies.

McCain himself has of course not said the words "Obama is a scary black man" (it would be political suicide yet fun to watch) but the affect is coming across to that segment of the population which does hitch on to that idea. The fact the attendees are saying it and not the campaign itself furthers the idea that the semantics is working perfectly. It simply doesn't make the party look welcoming when they become more and more exclusionary with each speech - more so since Palin entered the picture the early McCain campaign was not behaving like it is now. This sort of thing galvanizes those sorts of people by talk of marginalizing city dwellers, intellectuals ("elitists" today), community organizations and the poor by making them "the other" (see Jacques Derrida's work). Psychologist Wilhelm Reich is an easier read and he called this phenomenon of mass marginalization of certain groups the "Mass Psychology of Fascism" - he himself having fled Germany in 1933. The book of the same title is available again after being burned and then banned by the US Gov for some decades.

I was glad to see McCain correct that lady by saying "He's not an Arab, he's a good family man - I just happen to disagree with him." even though he got booed by his people for it. Then I got to examining his statement, and started wondering, why can't Arabs be good family men...?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer to think of them as Bush 41 and Bush 43. It's fun to think of presidents as isotopes of people

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swords View Post
    I was glad to see McCain correct that lady by saying "He's not an Arab, he's a good family man - I just happen to disagree with him." even though he got booed by his people for it. Then I got to examining his statement, and started wondering, why can't Arabs be good family men...?
    Although I agree with you on the question of why can Arabs be family men (which actually most of them are) I have to give McCain the benefit of the doubt here even though I do not support more of what he believes in. I dont think he meant to imply that Arabs are not good family oriented people I think he just phrased his response poorly. He should have said something along the lines of "it doesnt matter if he is an Arab as he is a good family man and an American and thats what matters even if we disagree on many matters." That said I think to believe he is implying anything with that is looking too hard for something to get him on.
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I strongly agree with scottychaos and others on this one, this is the act of a weirdo trying a political stunt. I do not think McCain's campaign could or would do something like that. In addition to the morality, it would also be colossally stupid. AND, the B would not have been backwards.

Furthermore, on the race thing, I do not see Obama as all that, uh, black, visually and in some ways culturally. I mean, for a long time I though Colin Powell was a white guy with a good tan...
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The McCain camp didn't do anything to make this story happen. The allegation is that they jumped on it and spread details about it well before they should have, as evidenced by the quotes from the McCain campaign spokesman. It's not that big a deal. Fox News also ran with it in a BIG way for the brief time before the woman recanted. That's to be expected. No big deal. However, it was pretty obvious to me from the beginning that the story was a hoax, from the xanax-ed out look on the woman's face, the backwards "B", and the explanation of what happened. So if it's obvious to me, why is Fox and the McCain campaign running with it? It's just bad judgment, which they soon corrected, so no big deal all around.

So far, except for a few Palin quips that I'm sure she was told not to repeat, we've been thankfully free of the whole racist Willie Horton disgrace from the Bush 41 campaign.

Max
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast