Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Words not to be forgotten

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seedjar View Post
    As for good things in the world, did you miss the part in Genesis when God goes on and on about how good creation is? How about:
    - Food
    - Water
    - The sun
    - The atmosphere
    - The troposphere
    - Gravity
    - The periodic table of elements
    - Natural beauty
    - Survival instincts
    - Free will
    - Compassion
    - Understanding
    - Communication
    - Written knowledge
    - Learning from our mistakes
    - That you don't need to be Christian to share their non-secular values (such as kindness, generosity, and stewardship)
    - We're not all in Hell right now - as the Bible suggests, things could be much, much worse
    If you read Genesis just a little further, you would have found out that those things were called "good" because God created them. I asked you to provide me a list of things that you felt were "good" outside of Christianity and God. Instead you come back rattling a list of things that I believe are created by God. Thanks for proving my point I guess.

Notice that several of those things are prerequisites of Christian tradition and values? No writing -> no Bible -> no Christian teachings -> no Christian church.
    How is this separate from the good of God?

If you really don't believe there's anything good outside of Christianity, why do you use a computer? Computers aren't Christian.
    Computers are nothing but tools. I use them the same as I use toilet paper, forks, knives or spoons. They are neutral items, if anything.

Seriously, I feel like you're just trying to be inflammatory now. I suggest you spend more time in church, because you seem to have missed a few of the more important parts.
    It's inflammatory to ask you to support your comment? I'm sorry to pick your brain and make you burn some brain cells.

I'm inflammatory, then you question my attendance in church? Hypocrisy at its best indeed.

I'm not sure if you read this:
    http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115705

But xvart says that comments like that earn a 3 day temp ban.
    James 1:17

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That would be like saying I shouldn't talk about Christianity on this board because of the beliefs the majority of people here share.
    No. It means that if you truly believe that the only good comes out of Christianity, which is essentially what you were saying, then no amount of stuff I could provide to the contrary would really… ah… get through. the above respone proves it. I felt that you would dismiss any example I gave because you already say you know the answer. Thats what i was getting at. Everyone does that to a degree, for certain, but... I just felt that saying the only good in the world comes out of a given person's religion (not necessarily the same as god) is terribly ethnocentric.
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch View Post
    No. It means that if you truly believe that the only good comes out of Christianity, which is essentially what you were saying, then no amount of stuff I could provide to the contrary would really… ah… get through. the above respone proves it. I felt that you would dismiss any example I gave because you already say you know the answer. Thats what i was getting at.
    Once again the question wasn't about my beliefs! You're allowed to have your own...you know? Do we have to agree? No. I asked a simple and honest question, since someone claimed that there's "good" in the world outside of Christianity. I asked what that was, in return I got a list of things that God said was "good" in Genesis, which doesn't answer the question that was presented. You're not making sense to me. How could I know what Joe or you believe is "good" in the world, outside of God? That's why I asked... because I don't.
    James 1:17

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's the age old fallacy of the fundamental arguments. If an all powerful being created everything, then everything is good, even if it is not in relevant scripture to whatever belief system to which you subscribe. Nobody can argue with that, because it all goes down to what is an internal and fundamental belief.

The only other thing I'm going to say is that we, as a culture, still hold on to beliefs that such acts of "goodness" are so unique to one belief system or another, and this "goodness" would never have surfaced had it not been for a belief system to set us straight. Take for one second, in the example that is dominating this thread now, if Christianity had never existed. Is it so far fetched to think that society, in whatever sense that it may exist, would not believe that killing someone else is wrong? Is that such a unique situation that only because of christianity do we not go out slaying everyone in sight?

For the most part, I don't think that we would be alive today if all the cavemen, pre-christianity, killed one another, simply because they didn't have the guidance of a savior or scripture?

For the record, I am not implying that this way of thinking is unique to christianity by any means. I just used that as an example since it was already brought up in discussion.

And I guess the discussion ends there.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will reopen this thread since there are several members who think it is still valid to continue discussion on it. In my opinion, though, threads shouldn't be locked after it gets out of hand. They should be locked before they get out of hand.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outsiders71 View Post
    Once again the question wasn't about my beliefs! You're allowed to have your own...you know? Do we have to agree? No. I asked a simple and honest question, since someone claimed that there's "good" in the world outside of Christianity. I asked what that was, in return I got a list of things that God said was "good" in Genesis, which doesn't answer the question that was presented. You're not making sense to me. How could I know what Joe or you believe is "good" in the world, outside of God? That's why I asked... because I don't.
    The post below does not include the word "God":

Quote Originally Posted by Outsiders71 View Post
    I'm not asking Joe to define my beliefs, I'm asking him to list what he believes is "good" outside of Christianity since he sees a lot of "good" in this world. My beliefs would not matter in Joe's response because I don't believe we share the same views.

~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mabudon View Post
    "pinto rage" is something good about the world
    Bonus points for you!
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xvart View Post
    I will reopen this thread since there are several members who think it is still valid to continue discussion on it. In my opinion, though, threads shouldn't be locked after it gets out of hand. They should be locked before they get out of hand.

xvart.

I back xvart on this comment. It is best to lock a thread before it gets out of hand. This thread has skated the line more than a few times. I politely advocate that all involved parties rein it in before they cross that line. If they choose to ignore this suggestion then they can face the consequences of their actions.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast