Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Obama has won!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Come on people! This is a thread on the elections, not about the gay comments! Besides Xvart already punished the guy who brought the murdering/torture up! Can we PLEASE get back on the subject before that happened!?!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Indiana Gardener View Post
    What was the basis behind the Palin comment anyway? I've never heard her say anything even remotely in the ballpark of anything like that.
    That's something you'll have to take up with swords. Maybe he'll drop by and elaborate if you ask him.

To me it seemed like an intentional exaggeration of her views.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ant View Post
    Come on people! This is a thread on the elections, not about the gay comments! Besides Xvart already punished the guy who brought the murdering/torture up! Can we PLEASE get back on the subject before that happened!?!
    *cough*

So umm yeah what about that Obama. Has he picked his cabinet yet.
    James 1:17

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Alright, this topic has blown up and there are simply too many points to respond to individually. So here is my general response as a mod:

If any of you feel that the banning of Dimka is unjust, please contact a moderator.

Regardless of your location on the political spectrum, we will not tolerate hate or bigotry. If you feel that another member's post crosses the line from satire or your regular political commentary, use the "Report Post" function. If you sit and stew, it doesn't do anybody any good.

If you abuse the Report Post function, you make the entire process meaningless, so keep this in mind. Don't be the Boy That Cried Wolf.

We moderators have been pretty tolerant of all of the political mudslinging from BOTH sides, but where people or posts have crossed the line, we have edited posts, given warnings, and in a few cases given bans. We haven't given out ant perma-bans, and I sincerely hope that we wont have to.

This isn't about political "sides," you can trust me, things would be different on TF if I went around banning or warning everyone that I didn't agree with. The same goes for any mod, no decision such as a banning is made by a single mod, we discuss everything, and nobody can enact punishment for personal reasons. We ask the same of you, play nice, or you'll get a time out.

This thread has trailed off, we are going to give it the opportunity to go back on track. For those of you wishing to further discuss any perceived injustice, feel free to contact me or your chosen moderator. This discussion is not pertinent to the thread, and it is not a matter best addressed en masse.

Last note: Anyone calling the moderator team here at TF anything less than diverse is kindly directed to the list of moderators.
    »\(║_o)/» ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed with Ant.

This forum allows a lot of spirited debate, and that's something we all should appreciate. As long as you don't advocate murder or torture against a group of people, you're pretty much OK. Criticism, ridicule, and shame are all part of political debate and that's the way it should be. We do NOT have the right to never be offended. However, we should have the right to be free of violence and physical threat. What Dimka said was dumb and over the line, and his penalty is short and mild. He'll be back on in no time just like rattler. Swords didn't advocate killing or torturing anyone. He engaged in political ridicule, which is one of the cornerstones of our system. Everyone does it on both sides, and that's great! And frankly this forum puts up with a lot of that in an admirable way that shows restraint. No public forum ever allows advocating torture and murder, though. That's just common sense.

So toughen up people! You're going to be offended from time to time. I am too, but so what? It's the price of a system where we can all get our voices heard. I called the whaaaambulance once, don't make me do it again!

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The superstar wakes up from his beauty sleep and what does he find... lol!

It's hate speech to say go ahead and kill me for speaking and writing for the disenfranchised, the marginalized "other"? Is it hateful to be a member of Amnesty International cos in a way I "hate" the policies of countries which allow this sort of persecution based on religion, free speech and sexuality? In this regard Palin is no more scary to me than Tipper Gore (a democrat with the same ideas). A number of the countries AI is active in do have policies where these sorts of things I described still take place, stoning is now more common than being set ablaze today. I used a description of the tactics being promoted on myself in a sarcastic manner (lyrical suicide?) but I'll admit to having fear of something like that developing here. It's a far fetched and irrational fear and probably not so much actual stake burnings but that's where my sarcasm was getting out of hand - which is indicative of how much the idea of pro-torture bothers me. If the citizenry begins to think certain people being tortured for their ideas is OK, with the caveat that "so long as it's "those people" and not us" then how long before the government itself decides "game on" for torturing all it's dissident citizens? Persecution mania doled out by governments historically never stays focused on just one type of people, it's a slippery slope.

As we all know, the figurehead at the top of the Government can't actually do it all alone and needs help of the congress (except in cases of "executive privilege") so the chance of actually getting to a medieval church-state is unlikely. So I don't really have to loose sleep over the idea of the villagers at my door with torches. I just was so shocked by the idea people liking the idea of torturing people with a different lifestyle. I actually think Dimka had to have been being sarcastic too, nobody really thinks that way do they? I mean, even he laughed at my sarcastic response! Did anyone ask if he was just being silly before banning him?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find it interesting that not one of the people complaining about this even chose to bat an eyelash at Dimka's comments until he was banned. Clearly it goes both ways. But swords topic title WAS changed and Dimka WAS banned.

I too have not been happy with some of the moderator's actions of late but they do listen and act accordingly, despite some comments to the contrary.

So how bout dat election?
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know, I'm still buzzing about the election. I live in San Francisco, where it's about 90% Obama supporters. On the night of the election, there were impromptu street parties, people lit off fireworks, and were hanging out of windows hooting and hollering. I've never seen anything like it, and I think there's a buzz around the country that we're poised for a new era, even from some McCain supporters. Personally I favor Obama, but think that whoever won the election we'd be better off. And now that Obama is President, I'll be every bit as critical of him as I am of every President. It's our jobs as citizens to keep them honest and accountable!

As for our "debates" on this board, I just want everyone to know that I truly appreciate the voices here that are in opposition to mine. Scotty, Outsiders, rattler, even Dimka - thank you for being here and being strong with your voices and opinions. I'd fight and die for your right to be here and voice your opinions. Free speech is worth that, as our founding fathers demonstrated. And despite our political differences, I like you guys. And we all share a love of CPs. We should always keep that in mind.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain