What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Obama has won!

• Thread starter Ant
  • Start date
P.S.
As for the same sex couples... other than it being completely wrong, I think we should bring back the medieval punishments, tortures, and executions... but that's just me.

Wow, what a load of BS. Whats wrong with gay marriage? They should not be denied the right to marry each other, it is just plain wrong not to let them get married. Why should gays be punished?

Stop whining, Obama is not going to ruin our country!

I do not think one man can ruin a country by himself-he needs help...
:-))
I think(and I am not the most knowing in this field) that McCain was pushed into certain things by the GOP and was not free to be himself. Obama ran a smarter campaign. I still voted for McCain, hoping the mask would drop, but it's moot-he lost. Obama will be President and as such, I will be behind him.
I just bought Rattler's PB numbers, so we will see if he is

:hail:

or

:crazy:

Cheers,

Joe

10% is all i ask for Joe....

Maxposwilo, I believe that was another example of sarcasm, which is particularly rampant in this thread. For my part, I'd like to see how a democrat does with our country for once, I'm sick of republicans (no offense to anyone here, obviously.) If he fails, hey I was wrong, but I think he'll do a great job and have no reason to think he'll send us into more trouble.. if it's even possible to be in more trouble than we currently are. And max, I agree about bringing back medieval methods and maybe some tribal rituals as well. Virgin! Virgin!

We need another witch craze. The Inquisition was such a blast.

How about this: If Obama does great and resotres our standing in the world (my Dutch friends tell me the Dutch translation for Bush's America is roughly "Arrogant Satan Country" BTW) and helps our economy and does all the stuff he most likely will, those who voted for McCain cant say ****.

And if the opposite happens, ill shut up. Fair?

I find it extremly narrow minded that you cannot realize how much having the World Community behind President Obama will help us.

Good luck arguing a point you cannot win. Obama's nearly in the office.

one point though......been saying all along neither McCain nor Obama was going to be able to do jack for the economy.....its part of a natural cycle.......you can make it worse, you can minimize a few of the damages but its going to go through a valley no matter what.......if you have peaks, you have valleys.......have also said i dont care one bit what the world thinks of us just like i dont expect them to care about what i think of them.........

I believe that was another example of sarcasm, which is particularly rampant in this thread.
Sorry, I think that's my fault. lol
Or am I being sarcastic...?
:scratch:

Hey what's with all this after-election arguing? Wasn't this all supposed to happen before yesterday? Let's just be happy with whatever we got.:boogie:

I believe foreign administrations like Obama because they'll be able to push him around and tell him what to do (or think they can).

And this is based on what? Nobody pushes around the President of the United States. The question is about respect. Not many international countries respect Bush, but they don't "push him around." They don't respect Bush, and as he is the elected head representative of our country, it reflects on us. That is the point. It is about respect. Is it not possible that international populations like Obama because he is inspiring and he is an intelligent person? Is it not possible that they like him because they feel he has the potential to be a great international leader?

It may not be the only reason we are hated by some, but it is one of the reasons and I personally know someone who has experienced that first hand from their own family after moving to the US. So I don't think it should be dismissed as incorrect.

I also know a couple people that think the moon landing was a hoax, but that doesn't mean that is the predominate train of thought.

I honestly believe that Obama's win was directly linked to Bush. If the news media keeps painting a picture of this country and its President in a bad light, it will eventually have an effect on the psyche of its viewers. I believe that the MSM proved yesterday that it can influence Americans. Yesterday was also the day that American voters could wash away their sins of electing Bush. I forget the percentage, I believe it was 60-75% of voters who were exit polled that said they voted for Obama because of Bush (according to CNN).

I agree that Bush was a big factor in the election, but I don't think that is unique to Obama. It wasn't a republican year. However, the statistic I think you were referring to was (I just happened to catch this a couple minutes ago on TV again) that 67% of voters who disapprove of Bush voted for Obama, which makes a world of difference. It wasn't that they voted for Obama because they didn't like Bush. They voted for Obama and didn't support Bush. But, your point still stands that it was a definite advantage. And, I completely agree about your point about washing sins of Bush, which is exactly what happened.

I think it's great that Obama broke the "racial barrier", but I don't believe he was the guy Dr. King had in mind. It was Dr. King who said a person should be judged by their character not by their color. How many people, especially the African-American voting block, voted for Obama on basis of his skin color? Something to think about.

I have to disagree and think that Obama is exactly the kind of person that MLK had in mind. Obama has inspired a generation of people and empowered them to make choices that they believe will provide a better life not just for themselves as individuals, but as a people.

Lastly to those who are excited about the international community's round of applause for Obama: Do you live in those countries? What bearing do they have on our American soil? Why is it a good thing that countries are celebrating Obama's Presidency? They don't share our common interests.

Many of those countries do share our common interests, and furthermore, we live in a global society and it does matter what level of respect we have for other countries and the level of respect other countries have for the USA.

I do not think one man can ruin a country by himself-he needs help...

That's what we have congress for! lol.

one point though......been saying all along neither McCain nor Obama was going to be able to do jack for the economy.....its part of a natural cycle.......you can make it worse, you can minimize a few of the damages but its going to go through a valley no matter what.......if you have peaks, you have valleys.......have also said i dont care one bit what the world thinks of us just like i dont expect them to care about what i think of them.........

This is absolutely true, and to share some of the conversation rattler and I had via pm, I think the best thing Obama can do is let Pelosi build up some crazy spending bill and slap the veto on it. There is some legitimate concern about the democrats having power in both the executive branch and the legislative branch; but, I believe the Obama is in a place where he will not let that happen. He is fully aware of the responsibility he has been handed, and he must do whatever he can to make sure that the economy doesn't get worse. As economics go, it may be four years before we have recovered. As rattler said, these things happen and there will never be a time when our economy is always growing.

xvart.

And finally, for those of you who cannot accept that the American people have spoken, there's only one response:

whambulance.jpg

Capslock

Oh my god, you are now the coolest person I know.
~Joe

Oh my god, you are now the coolest person I know.
~Joe

Yeah I guess Max is pretty cool, hehe. Just kidding other Max.

I'm very fond of that expression but I rarely hear it from anyone but myself and an old friend. Would it be a pun? In any case, it's an ideal general-case smart*** comeback.
~Joe

If you happen to have interests in proposal 8 and voted due to that (a popular reason from tv news reports on voter data), I don't see how not being "married" is going to kill you.

Luckily for us, we live in a country where survival is not the only goal. In addition to life, there is liberty and the pursuit of happiness. The LGBT community simply wants the same legal rights as I have. Now that they once again have fewer rights than their heterosexual friends and neighbors, they are, by even the most conservative definitions, second class citizens. Good going California!

Wow, so many things I'd like to address, so little time.

Luckily, Xvart and DrWurm have me pretty well covered. haha

Luckily for us, we live in a country where survival is not the only goal. In addition to life, there is liberty and the pursuit of happiness. The LGBT community simply wants the same legal rights as I have. Now that they once again have fewer rights than their heterosexual friends and neighbors, they are, by even the most conservative definitions, second class citizens.

Summed up without any expletives? You did a better job replying to that than I could have hoped to do. ;)

I think that it's a shame that 8 passed. This was another chance for California to be a leader for change. Oh well, we now have a law on the books that sets the precedent that the government can abridge the powers/rights of religions (so long as we do it equally, apparently,) let's see what legislation we get based on that premise. >:- )

As for the same sex couples... .

Your comment is the most vile and sick thing I have ever heard anyone say on this forum!!!

You have crossed the line.

Last edited:
We need another witch craze. The Inquisition was such a blast.

Well, if we're real good and pray real hard maybe Santa will bring us the Palin Apocalypse in 2012! :censor:

She'd probably like to stretch my godless flesh out on the old rack. Maybe revoke my use of the 1st amendment by yanking out my heathenish tongue and lopping off my hands before lashing me to a stake in the center of town. As a show of "Love" for my own "tortured soul" of course!
I actually always kinda wanted to go that way, either burned as a heretic or eaten by zombies! :banana2:It just seems so romantic.

BTW if you haven't seen them "Mark of the Devil" and "Innocents from Hell" are two "awesome" (horrific) witchfinder general movies made in Italy in the 70's that are both on DVD now.

LoL!
I think I'd pass on being eaten by zombies...

As for the same sex couples...

Let me put this in words you can understand. Other than you being "completely wrong," any sort of discussion saying people should be tortured and executed for their belief system will not be tolerated. I don't care what you belief system you subscribe to, such a suggestion is disgusting and frankly, you should be ashamed of yourself.

I suggest using your three day ban to think of more constructive ways to get your point across, besides advocating for the death, torture, humiliation, and degradation of fellow people.

xvart.

Last edited:
Back