What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Obama has won!

• Thread starter Ant
  • Start date
Overnight, our international credibility has been restored. The rest of the world favored an Obama Presidency overwhelmingly thanks to eight years of Bush arrogance (making the "arrogant" charge by Dimka all the more puzzling. ???) America has never been hated around the world like we have been since we invaded Iraq. For those of you who don't travel, maybe you haven't had to face this fact. I'm traveling internationally all the time, and it was no joke - we have fallen in the eyes of the world in a pronounced and disturbing way. And I'm talking about our traditional long-standing allies, not just random countries. It cannot be overstated the amount of damage Bush has done.

And finally, for those of you who cannot accept that the American people have spoken, there's only one response:

whambulance.jpg

Capslock

Dang! Wallstreet went down more.
My moms stocks are already down 50%,they are all good stcoks...

I posted this last night and it is already on page 5!?! lol, also please stop the debating lol! I need a break! So any way, on other news no one is going to bring up that democrats have the presidency and the majority in the house at the same time? That hasn't happened since 1932 right?

Lol xvart, I was saying people should just stop complaining, because it won't change anything. I should have worded it better. Or just wait till I'm home lol (on my phone right now).but the point is, people need to stop pissing and moaning, it won't change a thing. And lol at the whaaaaabulance

XD Whenever anybody ever complains at me for the rest of my life, I am going to respond by saying "Uh-oh. Should I call the whaaaaambulance?"

XD lol, wrong place for that!

Obama's election is historic. Our future has been changed (and for the better, I might add).

I didn't finish :)
Since Obama is much more liked on an international level,
international traders should be more confedent.
Wallstreet runs off of confedence.
Why complain who is president,
when what has been done is done :jester:

Congratulations to the future 44th and first half black half white president (As far I know, lol)! :)

Since everyone knows how the County is going to go uphill or downhill before the man has even taken his oath....
What are tonight's Powerball numbers?

17-23-01-34-16 and the power ball is 03

So any way, on other news no one is going to bring up that democrats have the presidency and the majority in the house at the same time? That hasn't happened since 1932 right?

Hoover (R) was president until 1933 when Roosevelt (D) took office.

While the country came out of the Great Depression during his time in office, it's likely that FDR's "New Deal" policies actually caused the depression to last longer than it could've.

I don't think anyone on either side is trying to predict the future. Either side can look at it the way they see fit according to Obama's past political actions and voting record on certain legislation. From where I stand, it doesn't look good. Depending on your interests, it may look better.

If you happen to have interests in proposal 8 and voted due to that (a popular reason from tv news reports on voter data), I don't see how not being "married" is going to kill you. I can't speak for people on that side of the fence, just how it seems to me. However, having your arms of defense taken away or laws made to where you can't defend yourself, and that just may kill you. Heaven forbid, put in a life and death situation in the middle of the night in your own home are you going to wish you were "married" or that you could defend yourself? How far would this go... Freeze burglar, I have a marriage license! LOL

Now there's an idea for a political cartoon...

|Obama comes around to collect fire arms| |In exchange, he hands out marriage licenses to same sex couples| |said people burglarized and attempt to defend themselves against assailant with license|

Either way, it doesn't matter. He's in now.

I believe foreign administrations like Obama because they'll be able to push him around and tell him what to do (or think they can). That will certainly make USA more likable, but at the same time weaken it.
And as for the rest of the world hating USA, that's not gonna change very much, believe me. Everyone hated, hates, and will hate USA. Back in the 90s it was hated, and no one likes US any better now.
I too traveled a lot, and everywhere is the same - "Stupid Americans", and such dislike is not groundless. People really should learn about the world around us and respect it, rather than "US be da best, rest of world be bad and weird!" stuff. Of course some things are ridiculous, and basically come down to "We hate them because they live better than us, and that's just not right" So there's two sides to that as well.
I guess we'll see what happens, although I am not optimistic at all.

P.S.
Taking away firearms is a joke, they'll just take away licensed guns while leaving all the illegal ones. Seems kind of one-sided to me. I'm with Indiana Gardner on this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
"We hate them because they live better than us, and that's just not right"

That is exactly it! I have a friend who's French and is now a US citizen, a status of which she is very proud, and I'm proud to have her as one.

However, her family back home has expressed that very thing to her!

At the same time, I have some very dear international friends in Japan, Italy, and the British Isles who seem to realize we don't all live high on the hog and are people just like they are.

they'll just take away licensed guns while leaving all the illegal ones

Right again! Criminals will always have access to black market fire arms. Tougher laws and legislation only keeps them out of the hands of responsible people. Enforce the laws we have first before seeing if we need more might be the logical place to start, but then politicians aren't logical.

If we brought back medieval punishments for crimes, there'd be a lot less of it. We would need to adapt modern ways of telling guilt or innocence though. I know I have toads in my garden, but I'm no witch (warlock? or whatever). LOL I'm reminded of that Monty Python scene where that lady weighed the same as the duck on those rigged scales - so she must float, therefore she's a witch! LOL

Wow, I see ignornace is alive and well. Do you really think people hate the US because we are wealthy. Why dont they hate all the European countries with higher standards of living? Did you ever consider the fact that US foreign policy for the last oh 50 years has been horrible. Seriously look at the way we run things, you have oil we sell you weapons and ignore the fact that you are considered one of the most tyranical rulers in the world and your people are not getting basic human rights. However if you dont have oil we do things to depress your economy or just give your country to someone else because you dont have anything we want and we have bigger guns than they do. Seriously the world hates us for the most part because of our foriegn policy. Oh wait they hate us because of our freedom I forgot. The Dutch better watch out they are probably next.

Wow, I see ignornace is alive and well. Do you really think people hate the US because we are wealthy.

I don't think it's ignorance to think that when someone's own family resents them for moving to the US for that vary reason. Maybe that isn't everyone's reason, but it exists. She isn't even wealthy. They just don't like it because they think now that she lives here, she must be. I don't know about you, but I'm not wealthy. Some countries, but not all people in them, just seem to have that "rich American" mentality. It may not be the only reason we are hated by some, but it is one of the reasons and I personally know someone who has experienced that first hand from their own family after moving to the US. So I don't think it should be dismissed as incorrect.

I don't see the connection people have with Obama because they disagree about us doing business with countries who practice substandard treatment with their citizens because Obama doesn't even want to drill more of our own oil until we get a better fuel source going. McCain was the one who was going to start things going here at home so that, eventually, we wouldn't have to deal with those countries (supposedly).

Sorry about Prop 8, it's looking bleak. That's the only non-prez thing I've been watching for...

Maybe someday gays too will also be viewed as completely human and deserving of the same rights as heteros by the majority of the populace. :(

Well if black people and women can get their right's eventually(hopefully) gays can to.

i don't see how who someone marries should decide their right's, that's like saying if you like dark chocolate instead of milk chocolate you can have basic right's. It just doesn't make sense and is rediculous.

I'd have to disagree with you, Ktulu. Even though the foreign policy enrages a lot of people, it is not the major hatred factor. Though I'll admit I still can't get over the Balkans conflict. USA had no business whatsoever to bomb Serbia, and Albania had no right to the territories at all. Stronger Serbia was simply not convenient for USA and Europe.
People really hate USA because of the "rich americans" mentality. Honestly, most of the world thinks money grows on trees here... Funny that... Trust me I speak from experience, having spent 12 years in 15 countries.
Oh well, the life goes on...

First off congrats to Obama on the victory.

*/takes gloves off

I honestly believe that Obama's win was directly linked to Bush. If the news media keeps painting a picture of this country and its President in a bad light, it will eventually have an effect on the psyche of its viewers. I believe that the MSM proved yesterday that it can influence Americans. Yesterday was also the day that American voters could wash away their sins of electing Bush. I forget the percentage, I believe it was 60-75% of voters who were exit polled that said they voted for Obama because of Bush (according to CNN). This isn't the first time in history something crazy like this has happened. Jimmy Carter was ONLY elected President because of the mistrust of Washington insiders. The country at that time felt that it could correct all its wrongs by electing Jimmy Carter. Result? Jimmy Carter is considered one of the worst Presidents in our history. Americans did the same thing yesterday, electing Obama because of the mistrust and the Bush label of the GOP. What will the result be? Nobody knows, we have to sit and wait.

I think it's great that Obama broke the "racial barrier", but I don't believe he was the guy Dr. King had in mind. It was Dr. King who said a person should be judged by their character not by their color. How many people, especially the African-American voting block, voted for Obama on basis of his skin color? Something to think about.

The biggest thing I fear about Obama is his idea that we need to fundamentally change/transform America. I believe this country has flaws that need fixed but fundamentally changing this country?

Lastly to those who are excited about the international community's round of applause for Obama: Do you live in those countries? What bearing do they have on our American soil? Why is it a good thing that countries are celebrating Obama's Presidency? They don't share our common interests.

Back