What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Obama has won!

• Thread starter Ant
  • Start date
I've mentioned in the past these same double standards and it only fell on deaf ears.

Before you start griping about double standards you better think about the fact that you have not been banned and you have crossed my lines more times than I care to count. Mods do not make decisions in a vacuum. As a collective we decided to ban Dimka.

Swords has been preaching hate speech towards Christians and Conservatives for awhile now

And you have been preaching hate towards liberals and non-Christains for a while now. And he is still here and you are still here. Where is the double standard

If Dimka's comments were towards Christians he wouldn't be banned right now.

THe HELL he wouldn't. Obviously you just chose to ignore my earlier post

Before you start griping about double standards you better think about the fact that you have not been banned and you have crossed my lines more times than I care to count. Mods do not make decisions in a vacuum. As a collective we decided to ban Dimka.

What is it that I should be banned for? I never asked for a pass, and if I did anything against the rules I'd gladly take the ban for being out of line. Crossed your lines, when? You're coming off as a person with a case of angst. Take a deep breath and relax.

And you have been preaching hate towards liberals and non-Christains for a while now. And he is still here and you are still here. Where is the double standard

Where have I preached hate towards liberals and non-Christians? I have offered respectful, thought out alternative viewpoints that hardly get any light on here. I have never outright attacked anyone on their beliefs, only have shared mine and have said several times that I have no problem with agreeing to disagree. My relationship with JLAP is case in point. We have some pretty opposite views but regardless we maintain respect for one another, and we don't send hatred filled remarks toward each other. I don't know where JLAP disappeared to lately, but I guarantee you he would correct you himself on this matter.

THe HELL he wouldn't. Obviously you just chose to ignore my earlier post

Just as you have ignored the outcry of others on double standards.

Guy tells a "gay joke" at work..
someone overhears it, is offended, and complains to the boss.
boss says "whats the big deal? its just a joke..you need to get a thicker skin if you want to work here!"

thats illegal..the boss could be fired for that.

a joke doesnt have to be only "about murder" to pass the offensive test.
plenty of racial and gay "jokes" arent about murder..
The fact that one person mentioned "murder" and the other didnt is totally irrelevant.

Our society typically takes the stance that it's alright to joke about things that are choices but not things you are born with.

Example of things that are a choice: Political stance/religion or lack of it/peoples opinions/etc.

Things that are not a choice: Sexual orientation/race/mental capacity/etc.

A mod quickly changed the subject line of Swords thread..because it was obviously offensive!
but yet..no banning.

You're beating a dead horse.

1.) I agree the title seemed to be in bad taste and it was changed.

2.) Swords already clarified that the title was commenting on what kind of campaigns he believed the parties to be running. When you keep repeating that it was aimed at raising hate against republicans/christians/conservatives, you're not being honest about the situation.

Several times dimka made comments about Obama that may offend the people you complain are censoring one side; yet he wasn't banned for them. He even said since Obama is pro choice, maybe his mother should have aborted. But swords did make a smartass Palin comment and deserves to be banned for it... right?

What was the basis behind the Palin comment anyway? I've never heard her say anything even remotely in the ballpark of anything like that. I mean, if there was evidence behind it, that's one thing. Obama is pro-abortion, we all know that. But I've not heard a peep from Palin about stringing anyone up. It's like saying Obama thinks we should all wear the same clothes to identify with one another and come together as a nation. It sounds just as absurd. Of course it would have to be something different to be hateful. Like Obama would like to kill (insert choice group or person here; we already know it's unwanted babies, so pick another), but it's the same idea. It doesn't do anything but fuel vicious stereotypes and start hate mongering.

Come on people! This is a thread on the elections, not about the gay comments! Besides Xvart already punished the guy who brought the murdering/torture up! Can we PLEASE get back on the subject before that happened!?!

What was the basis behind the Palin comment anyway? I've never heard her say anything even remotely in the ballpark of anything like that.

That's something you'll have to take up with swords. Maybe he'll drop by and elaborate if you ask him.

To me it seemed like an intentional exaggeration of her views.

Come on people! This is a thread on the elections, not about the gay comments! Besides Xvart already punished the guy who brought the murdering/torture up! Can we PLEASE get back on the subject before that happened!?!

*cough*

So umm yeah what about that Obama. Has he picked his cabinet yet. ;)

Alright, this topic has blown up and there are simply too many points to respond to individually. So here is my general response as a mod:

If any of you feel that the banning of Dimka is unjust, please contact a moderator.

Regardless of your location on the political spectrum, we will not tolerate hate or bigotry. If you feel that another member's post crosses the line from satire or your regular political commentary, use the "Report Post" function. If you sit and stew, it doesn't do anybody any good.

If you abuse the Report Post function, you make the entire process meaningless, so keep this in mind. Don't be the Boy That Cried Wolf.

We moderators have been pretty tolerant of all of the political mudslinging from BOTH sides, but where people or posts have crossed the line, we have edited posts, given warnings, and in a few cases given bans. We haven't given out ant perma-bans, and I sincerely hope that we wont have to.

This isn't about political "sides," you can trust me, things would be different on TF if I went around banning or warning everyone that I didn't agree with. The same goes for any mod, no decision such as a banning is made by a single mod, we discuss everything, and nobody can enact punishment for personal reasons. We ask the same of you, play nice, or you'll get a time out.

This thread has trailed off, we are going to give it the opportunity to go back on track. For those of you wishing to further discuss any perceived injustice, feel free to contact me or your chosen moderator. This discussion is not pertinent to the thread, and it is not a matter best addressed en masse.

Last note: Anyone calling the moderator team here at TF anything less than diverse is kindly directed to the list of moderators.

Agreed with Ant.

This forum allows a lot of spirited debate, and that's something we all should appreciate. As long as you don't advocate murder or torture against a group of people, you're pretty much OK. Criticism, ridicule, and shame are all part of political debate and that's the way it should be. We do NOT have the right to never be offended. However, we should have the right to be free of violence and physical threat. What Dimka said was dumb and over the line, and his penalty is short and mild. He'll be back on in no time just like rattler. Swords didn't advocate killing or torturing anyone. He engaged in political ridicule, which is one of the cornerstones of our system. Everyone does it on both sides, and that's great! And frankly this forum puts up with a lot of that in an admirable way that shows restraint. No public forum ever allows advocating torture and murder, though. That's just common sense.

So toughen up people! You're going to be offended from time to time. I am too, but so what? It's the price of a system where we can all get our voices heard. I called the whaaaambulance once, don't make me do it again!

Capslock

The superstar wakes up from his beauty sleep and what does he find...;) lol!

It's hate speech to say go ahead and kill me for speaking and writing for the disenfranchised, the marginalized "other"? Is it hateful to be a member of Amnesty International cos in a way I "hate" the policies of countries which allow this sort of persecution based on religion, free speech and sexuality? In this regard Palin is no more scary to me than Tipper Gore (a democrat with the same ideas). A number of the countries AI is active in do have policies where these sorts of things I described still take place, stoning is now more common than being set ablaze today. I used a description of the tactics being promoted on myself in a sarcastic manner (lyrical suicide?) but I'll admit to having fear of something like that developing here. It's a far fetched and irrational fear and probably not so much actual stake burnings but that's where my sarcasm was getting out of hand - which is indicative of how much the idea of pro-torture bothers me. If the citizenry begins to think certain people being tortured for their ideas is OK, with the caveat that "so long as it's "those people" and not us" then how long before the government itself decides "game on" for torturing all it's dissident citizens? Persecution mania doled out by governments historically never stays focused on just one type of people, it's a slippery slope.

As we all know, the figurehead at the top of the Government can't actually do it all alone and needs help of the congress (except in cases of "executive privilege") so the chance of actually getting to a medieval church-state is unlikely. So I don't really have to loose sleep over the idea of the villagers at my door with torches. I just was so shocked by the idea people liking the idea of torturing people with a different lifestyle. I actually think Dimka had to have been being sarcastic too, nobody really thinks that way do they? I mean, even he laughed at my sarcastic response! Did anyone ask if he was just being silly before banning him?

I find it interesting that not one of the people complaining about this even chose to bat an eyelash at Dimka's comments until he was banned. Clearly it goes both ways. But swords topic title WAS changed and Dimka WAS banned.

I too have not been happy with some of the moderator's actions of late but they do listen and act accordingly, despite some comments to the contrary.

So how bout dat election?

You know, I'm still buzzing about the election. I live in San Francisco, where it's about 90% Obama supporters. On the night of the election, there were impromptu street parties, people lit off fireworks, and were hanging out of windows hooting and hollering. I've never seen anything like it, and I think there's a buzz around the country that we're poised for a new era, even from some McCain supporters. Personally I favor Obama, but think that whoever won the election we'd be better off. And now that Obama is President, I'll be every bit as critical of him as I am of every President. It's our jobs as citizens to keep them honest and accountable!

As for our "debates" on this board, I just want everyone to know that I truly appreciate the voices here that are in opposition to mine. Scotty, Outsiders, rattler, even Dimka - thank you for being here and being strong with your voices and opinions. I'd fight and die for your right to be here and voice your opinions. Free speech is worth that, as our founding fathers demonstrated. And despite our political differences, I like you guys. And we all share a love of CPs. We should always keep that in mind.

Capslock

First of all, let me be very clear: Dimka’s ban had absolutely nothing to do with homosexual rights. If you think otherwise, just know that you are wrong, and further discussion to dispute this will fall on deaf ears since it is irrelevant. In fact, I am personally disappointed and insulted that anyone would think that the moderating team would not ban someone who advocated any such posts regarding any group of people. But, I can live with that disappointment.

I've noticed that too. Maybe Swords is the mod in disguise?

I can only presume that if a moderator had made a comment like that he or she would not only not be a moderator anymore, but would be banned, too. Nobody is bigger than the game. In fact, if any of the moderators had said such things, I would vote in favor of a permanent ban, because moderators, of all people, should know better, and in my opinion, should be held to a higher standard.

but so far, Swords seems to be getting a pass on all of his hate speech

As I recall, never once in my time as a moderator have I seen a single reported post about swords except for the recent title change of the thread, which the title was changed before I even saw the reported post. In my opinion (speaking on my behalf and from my background) swords has repeatedly made it clear and obvious that he is a learner and prefers learning about any and all that he can. There is a world of difference, and which, again in my opinion, reinforces that his intentions were not malicious. Dimka’s comment had the intent of hate and disrespect. Is intent the litmus test of bannable offenses? Of course not. An unintended hateful post warrants a ban just as much as the other, but in the case of gray area, it is taken into consideration.

(the original thread title that a mod had to change)
translated:
Democrats = peace and love.
Republicans = fear and hate.

And, as swords explained, it was about the tone of the campaigns and not about political affiliations or personal belief systems.

So its only "bad" if its about gays?

As has now been explained several times, this is irrelevant and hopefully will not be brought up again.

His second comment I personally see as a nothing more than heavy sarcasm. Yes it is critical of Palin but he has just as much right to gripe about her as you have to gripe about Obama. In this thread alone the new President elect has been referred to as a terrorist and a heathen and scads of other things and yet none of you take issue with that but swords "disrespects" Palin by saying she wants to draw and quartet him and suddenly it is not okay to talk trash about a politician.

This is exactly how I felt about the post. If anyone else felt differently (and apparently nobody did since there was no reported post) then discussion would have been raised and any action would have been taken if warranted.

I know this will come as a surprise, but the moderating team is not perfect, and that is why we rely on community policing. I used to read every single post but that is practically impossible. Just because someone reports a post, doesn’t mean that something is going to happen. And, on the other side, just because nothing is publically announced doesn’t mean nothing is happening.

This IS NOT ABOUT CONSERVATIVE OR LIBERAL leanings

Exactly. Hopefully this will not muddle the discussion anymore.

If Dimka's comments were towards Christians, or religion and those who follow one, he wouldn't be banned right now.

And again, I am personally insulted and disappointed that you would think this; but, I can live with that.

Let me also add this, as I feel somewhat responsible that there have been all these discussions and questioning of the moderating team’s intentions and motivations. Several months ago (after some other incident of which most of you are probably unaware) the moderating team created a new infraction: the three day ban. This was at my suggestion because I’ve seen effective use of it at other forums. The intention is that, while we here at terraforums promote an inclusive, muti-faceted membership where all opinions are valued while keeping in mind civility and respect. We don’t want to permanently ban anyone, and there are rarely incidents here since the membership (most days) is respectful and tolerant. However, it is good to have a standardized system in case that something does happen.

Fast forward three months or so during the height of the political discussions. I was very impressed at the tone of all the conversations and proud of the way everyone was engaging in various volatile discussions. However, it was obvious that the potential to spiral out of control was looming. I, without consulting with any moderators, posted the three ban notice in hopes of steering it further out of control. As we all know, moderators are not here every minute of every day, and in the cases where two or more people got into it and low and behold we have five pages of disrespect and personal attacks. The goal was to curb that in hope to keep everyone engaged in the discussion points. I know I’m not the only one who gets tired of seeing comments such as “you need a better education” or “your brain is so small” etc. etc.

As I’ve already said in that post, I should not have been so absolute in my statement, since sometimes the best thing to do is to work things out quietly and get people to resolve things on their own, without disrupting the entire community.

Furthermore, my intention (though not made clearly or made at all), was focused on the political discussions. Afterwards, the intent would be to return to business as usual where we address things more personally and subtly, without disruption of the community. I work with large populations of people on a daily basis and routinely work with judicial cases and conduct violations. I know what I’m talking about when working out conflicts, creating solutions, and mediating problems.

Here is the point, and hopefully everyone will recognize this and respect this: the difficulties of being a moderator is balancing the good of the one with the good of the whole. We want an inclusive community that thrives on intelligent and positive debate and discussion.

From my personal moderating philosophy, this forum, for the most part, is about education and sharing (most specifically about carnivorous plants), and we want to support not only the entire community as a whole, but the individuals and work with them to make better choices and provide a learning experience for everyone involved in any conflict.

I too have not been happy with some of the moderator's actions of late but they do listen and act accordingly, despite some comments to the contrary.

I hope I’ve addressed how this all happened and have tried to take personal responsibility for some of your (and anyone’s) disappointment at the process. If not, or there are more specific concerns you have, I would be happy to continue the conversation.

xvart.

As for our "debates" on this board, I just want everyone to know that I truly appreciate the voices here that are in opposition to mine. Scotty, Outsiders, rattler, even Dimka - thank you for being here and being strong with your voices and opinions. I'd fight and die for your right to be here and voice your opinions. Free speech is worth that, as our founding fathers demonstrated. And despite our political differences, I like you guys. And we all share a love of CPs. We should always keep that in mind.

Well said, Max. I think I will be more critical of Obama than if McCain had been elected, simply because of expectations. As a presidential candidate, I expected more from Obama should he be elected than if McCain. With all the hype and the movement behind him, there will be tons of disappointment and angry people that got involved if he blew it.

xvart.

i would like to lodge a complaint.....you guy's arguing has seemed to have scared away Joe and i DEMAND to know what my share of the Powerball winnings is after giving him the winning numbers :censor:

Well rattler, since Obama has taken the helm, we should start practicing some of his policies. So we're gonna spread the wealth around, and every one of the 300 million+ americans will be getting an equal portion. So if the jackpot is 3 million dollars, you'll be getting a little less than 3 cents in the mail.

(see, democrats can make fun of Obama too guys)

dang it man....I came up with the numbers i demand atleast $0.10!

Well rattler, since Obama has taken the helm, we should start practicing some of his policies. So we're gonna spread the wealth around, and every one of the 300 million+ americans will be getting an equal portion. So if the jackpot is 3 million dollars, you'll be getting a little less than 3 cents in the mail.

Heh. Rattler, you should have waited a little longer to ask/give powerball numbers until the pot was bigger. Then you would get 10 cents. But, how exciting that every American would win the powerball! lol.

xvart.

I will give you a dime for effort, lol, but there was no winner in those numbers.

dang nabbit............but i pulled them from yesterdays paper if they win once they should win again right?

Back