Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Special Comment: Proposition 8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd just like to say that the entirity of my teachers throughout public school were very professional people who never mixed politics into class. Yes, in college some professors are a little more vocal, but even then, they usually do not devote class time to irrelevant discussion.

I will also say that no matter what, nobody ever had a bigger voice than my parents.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottychaos View Post
    Im really torn on this issue..
    because it clashes on two positions I feel strongly about:

1. liberals really DO use the courts to try to pass laws "the people" (majority) are against..
    I think this is a very bad thing..the people should decide laws, not judges.
    so in that sense, I think what happened with prop 8 was "the right thing"..
    it was a case of democracy working properly..to cut down a ruling that should have never been made,
    because it was made improperly..(how did judges get all this power anyway??)

2. gays SHOULD totally have the right to marry! im sorry "the people" of California dont see it that way..yet..

All we can do is wait for the older generations to die off..
    IMO, its really the exact same thing as racial prejudice..
    "The people" just elected a black president..which I never expected to see in my lifetime!
    Gay rights will also eventually reach the same point..true equality for all.
    We just need to wait for the majority to get with the program..

and before anyone says "maybe the majority is right?"
    "the majority" also once supported slavery, lack of womens rights, segregation, etc etc..
    just because its the majority, doesnt mean its right..

Scot

I agree with this. Actually I find myself agreeing with most of what scottychaos says lately. This never used to happen...
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to know what are "far left" politics exactly?. Don't just tell me to watch the news, you know what you're against make me a list. Since the term "far left politics" has been used 32,000 times in this thread I'd really like to know just how far left I really am with my relativistic way of thinking.

"Conventional people are roused to fury by departures from convention,
    largely because they regard such departures as a criticism of themselves."
    -Bertrand Russell

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/results/polls/#CAI01p1

The above link breaks down all kinds of demographics on who voted which way.

What I found most interesting is that the older the age of the voter, the more likely they voted against the ban! It was the younger voters who voted in favor of it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nightsky View Post
    http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/results/polls/#CAI01p1

The above link breaks down all kinds of demographics on who voted which way.

What I found most interesting is that the older the age of the voter, the more likely they voted against the ban! It was the younger voters who voted in favor of it!
    You've got it the wrong way around bud lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWurm View Post
    You've got it the wrong way around bud lol
    Yeah, just saw that. Doh. Still - it's a great link to see who voted what. Lots of data for those interested.

Personally, I take issue with the whole gay issue.

BUT - what two consenting adults do is not up to me. I have no right to impose upon them what I think they should do with their lives. The gov't needs to keep its nose out of peoples personal business. I don't want people telling me how to live, and don't think I have the right to tell others the same.

I therefore would have voted against this if I lived there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The racial distribution of yes vs no is something a lot of my fellow far-left travellers don't like to acknowledge. But it's very real. I think the age distribution of yes vs no is fascinating because I remembers polls showing a similar cross-over 20(?) years ago. If true, it suggests that we aren't seeing a situation in which a younger generation is growing up more open-minded about gay marriage. Maybe they'll switch their thinking too. As some comic said - gays should be allowed to marry so they can be as miserable as straight people.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals — but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with you there. However I think many people (black, white, etc) are still today under the belief that homosexuality is a choice and don't understand that it is no different than being born with green eyes or short curly hair. That is just the way someone is in the toss of the genetic dice. One can put on colored contacts or buy hair extensions but that is only a cover, just like a gay person marrying someone of the opposite sex and trying to "fit in". I feel that denying ones true nature, or fostering a purveying belief that there's something wrong with themselves because they aren't just like everyone else, will only lead them to a lifetime of unhappiness. But until more people start to realize this there will probably be oppression of the homosexuals from basically all sides, up to and including themselves depending upon their upbringing.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast