Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Special Comment: Proposition 8

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Veni vidi vinci.

I don't understand why it matters so much to some people what other people do in their private lives. Worry about your own path in life and leave others to tend to theirs.

When is affirmation of love and respect between consenting adults ever a bad thing??

"Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When is affirmation of love and respect between consenting adults ever a bad thing??
    When it conflicts with the tenets set forth in scripture. Many people tend to feel a need to "correct" what they see as a deviation from their own beholden principles, by enacting laws stemming from those metaphysical beliefs. Most often in an effort to enforce the "correctness" of those beliefs to themselves and "prove it" to the rest of us, by having the authority of a secular law drawn up around it.

As the quote from Mr. Russell indicates, many people believe that when different ideas arise, they feel that either the new idea or their old idea must be the "crazy" one. It never occurs to some people that both ideas (in this thread: lifestyles) can exist side by side, both being equally right as they are being lived by different persons. Legal gay marriage, does not mean mandatory gay marriage, as many anti-gay marriage activists seem to imagine.

On a plus note for civil rights, Connecticut just legalized gay marriage today.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And it's been awful. A few gay people got married and now they're emboldened and spreading their gay agenda everywhere. Husbands are leaving wives and wives are leaving husbands to start homosexual relationships. They never thought about it before, but can't stop themselves now that gay marriage is legal. Kids are being abandoned and most of them are turning gay too. I don't know what's going to happen next. Oh no! One of my male dogs suddenly stopped paying attention to the female and . . . Hey, stop that! . . . he's humping the other male. This sick and twisted gay agenda; it's taking over. Save yourselves!
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals — but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "If your wife leaves you for another woman, should you hold the door for both of them?"
    -Gallagher

(no watermelons were smashed in the creation of this post)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whoa.

You guys are horrible! You know that, don't you? LOL.
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well when two gay people (I mean man +man or woman + woman) can naturally produce a child,then I think it would be ok.But until then............... I have no problem with gay people,just keep it to yourself and don't try to push it on me.I'm glad people voted no on prop 8.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cool85k5 View Post
    Well when two gay people (I mean man +man or woman + woman) can naturally produce a child,then I think it would be ok.But until then...............
    What difference does that make?
    my wife and I are never going to have children..
    because of biology, not by choice..

does that mean we should not have the right to be married?

if being able to produce children is a prerequisite for marriage,
    then infertile people should not be allowed to be married..

that particular argument for denying gay marriage is clearly pointless..

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm all for civil unions, I mean, really, why shouldn't you be able to register someone you're close to to come visit you in the hospital? That's what really gets me. Too many situations where that's denied reeks of avoidable tragedy. I'm not saying that gay people can save each others life like that, but man, if I were dying on the operating table, I'd want my closest loved one holding my hand at least. It's just too sad.

That's really the only point I have to make. As far as marriage goes, I'm sure if what you want is ceremony, you can throw a party whenever you like without the governmental paper to certify that you threw said party, however, the benefits that paper entails should not be denied to anyone.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast