What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

College kids

Undergraduate course work leads to a bachelors degree in most cases. Graduate work leads to insanity and usually a Masters or PhD.

I wish I took orgo in community college... it is so much easier there and I could have just x-fered it. Instead I now have a Harvard graduate for a professor and he's ripping us to shreds. I mean test avg is 43...

Dimka - given the other classes you listed earlier, you're in a major that needs organic and you're better off with the more challenging version. Having a stronger foundation will make a big difference in some of those later classes.

i'm very confused right now.
any example?
is it like undergraduate Graphic Design and then Graduate Graphic Design?

Lol I know. Im biotech major and I need loads of orgo and biochem (very related subjects) for it. But seriously, this version is not just more challenging, this is super hardcore. Although after practically living in the library for the last two months I am beginning to understand some things :)
Oh btw, few weeks ago we were playing with acids in the lab, and other than having my book completely soaked in water by my neighbor (her hose blew off), I had concentrated H2SO4 burn through 4 pages of my book and my notebook soaked in... I think it was KI or something similar... Some K-I compound. And now my notebook looks like it has been soaked in blood. :)
Labs are fun, I'm good at practical stuff. All my labs in all my classes were, I don't wanna brag, but, flawless. I never broke anything, rarely did anything wrong, and when I did, always managed to redo everything very quickly... Even was able to do few labs simultaneously all with perfect results. Lol I once came up to my microbio prof to show my results and started talking to him, and after a while he tells the entire class "If you were professor here, you'd grind these idiots into the ground"... Lemme tell you I was not popular after that lol. But theory, lectures... killing me man. And its funny, I can tell you everything when I'm in a lab setting, but when I'm in a lecture setting - forget it, I'm as clueless as a tree. Maybe I should just remain a water :)

Think of it this way:
Undergrad - Bachelor.
Grad - Masters, and later PhD.

After this semester, I'll finally be finished with my General Education requirements!

These are the classes I'll have next Semester:
-General Environmental Geography
-Geographical Ecosystems and Field Activity
-Environmental Hazards
-Intermediate GIS and Lab

These are the classes I'm finishing up now:
-General Art History
-Anthropology and Gender
-Field Studies in Physical Geography and Geomorphology
-Introductory GIS and Lab
-California Geography

Looks like there's a budding geographer here. Quick; what's the capitol of Honduras? When I was working on my MS in Geography, I'd mention classes I was taking and more than a few people I know said they thought geography was all about memorizing where countries are and remembering their capitols.

Because that is all that is taught in a geography class at grade/middle/highschool. Memorize the states and their capitols. Now, Europe.

I am very good at some aspects of geography, but as a whole my experiences in those classes turned me off to the whole field. It would have been the same with biology (never saw anything living or dead in most of those classes) if I had not already had an intense interest in the subject.

They taught you about Europe, thats unamerican, I am not sure my geography teacher in highschool could find Europe if her life depended on it/

You think thats bad tell people you are studying archaeology. Then they say "oh so you dig up dinosaurs" or "oh like Indiana Jones" and then they assume I know everything about every culture that has ever existed especially Egypt.

As for class I am taking they are all grad level archaeology class: Ceramic analysis, Geoarchaeology, and then thesis hours.

I've been thinking about double majoring in electrical AND mechanical engineering. anybody wanna talk me out of it?

Don"t do it man!!!

Yeah, you're crazy if you try and get both of those, especially within a 4 year time period.
Here's what will make your decision for you....

Do you value your free time?

If not, go for it.

Bah, i probably couldn't get ONE of those degrees in 4 years. I already started college a year early anyway.

A dual ME & EE degree wouldn't make sense anyway. The ME degree by itself would be about as good and a combination of ME & Physics or ME & Computer Science, depending on which direction someone's interests run, would be much better.

is it that hard?

I'm looking to get into robotics and also to widen my job options.

I assume some of you guys are getting ready to regester for next semester/quarter or what ever? What classes did you guys get?

I have a fairly easy schedual, though I couldnt get english cause all the classes were filled.

Intro Phcyology
Photography 1
Statistics
3D Foundations
Intro Theater

I need to pick up the slack on allot of stuff from this semester though... I messed up real bad. Mostly because I was real pissed off at the school for giving me the wrong major...Supposed to be a photography major, they gave me some stupid Art history major.

pyschology is interesting, but i feel there is more that cannot be proved than can be proved...

Statistics is a good class. Highly recommened

right now, im taking psyhcology, english, algebra and history. Next semester i'll probably b e taking sciences, Biology, geology. Im moving towards a broad field of science, chemistry, astromony, astrology.. That kinda thing.
Guess you can say im a star gazer

Back