What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not Even The Bathroom Is Safe!

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Yesterday I went on lunch break and hit the public bathroom to do my business and wash up. So I'm at one of the urinals, directing trajectory and flow and a customer in the one next to me asks me if I knew if we sold eyes and hooks to hold up lights on eaves. What I wanted to do is make a 90 degree angle turn and express my dismay at him for asking me at that inconvenient moment. But I decided against it. I can't walk from one end of the store to the other without being asked questions and not even is the bathroom safe. And I recently found out that if you're clocked in, you get written up if you don't have that orange apron on. I might as well have concentric circles on that apron!

I feel your pain, jimscott. Although I have never been hit in the bathroom (most of ours at my university are single occupant bathrooms), I do get hit with tedious questions at the most inconvient times. I work with 400 residential students and unfortunately live on campus, right next door to a lot of these. Since I walk to work and park in the same parking lot, it seems that whenever I pass a student they remember that they have something so important to talk about.

One time, I was out running, and just getting back from a four mile run. I was just getting ready to run up the hill leading to the residence hall that my apartment was in when I passed this main walkway from campus to the bridge and stairs leading up to the hall. I would assume that it was obvious by the fact that my shirt was soaked in sweat and I was gasping for air that I might be in the middle of something, but nevertheless, a student yells at me, while I'm running, that his light in his room has been burnt out for three weeks! So I yell back, "have you reported it to the staff member on your floor or filled out the convenient online work order?" to which he responds, "No." So I yell back, "Then do that."

Most of the time, I get serious requests just passing people on campus and they only reason they ask is because it is convenient for them since they just happened to see me. While running late to an important meeting I happen to pass this student: "Oh, by the way, my roommate is racist." Isn't this something that is important enough that should be addressed immediately or could warrant an email? She just happens to say something only because I happen to pass her on campus?

So again, I feel your pain, and sometimes wish I had the option you suggest, lol!

xvart.

What I wanted to do is make a 90 degree angle turn and express my dismay at him for asking asking me at that inconvenient moment.

:-))

I also greatly dislike restroom jabbering. It about as annoying as :poke:

I hear ya. You'd think they'd respect someones 'personal time' at least.

My favorite is when I was in Seatac airport, and had to use the public restroom. I was on a break, and in uniform. So I'm at the urinal, and the guy next to me asks 'So, what kind of chemical are you guys going to spray onto us today from your chemtrails?' I just laughed, thinking he was joking, but he didn't laugh, and looked totally serious. I just flushed, shook my head, and walked away. What an idiot.:crazy:

Lol, being asked a question in a bathroom isn't as bad as having to run away from a duck! LOL, me and my brothers went camping, and one of my brothers goes to the bathroom and you could hear him scream from the camp site because there was a duck on the tolit in his stall. XD He sprinted back to the camp site!

lol. Better a duck than a swan! I won't go there...

Lol, being asked a question in a bathroom isn't as bad as having to run away from a duck! LOL, me and my brothers went camping, and one of my brothers goes to the bathroom and you could hear him scream from the camp site because there was a duck on the tolit in his stall. XD He sprinted back to the camp site!
Ha! :)
I was mortally terrified by a broom myself just last night. I was standing in the dark kitchen waiting for some coffee to filter through my one cup funnel and I felt something (like a big finger) touch my shoulder and then go all the way down my back. As if someone were sneaking on me from inside the pantry. I screamed like a maniac and jumped cos there's no one else here but my 2 cats who I knew were sleeping. How is it related to the bathroom experiences? I nearly wet myself!

Ha! :)
I was mortally terrified by a broom myself just last night. I was standing in the dark kitchen waiting for some coffee to filter through my one cup funnel and I felt something (like a big finger) touch my shoulder and then go all the way down my back. As if someone were sneaking on me from inside the pantry. I screamed like a maniac and jumped cos there's no one else here but my 2 cats who I knew were sleeping. How is it related to the bathroom experiences? I nearly wet myself!

Lol, I had something happen to me like that before. I was hiding in the closet and this white foam dish thing started slowly rolling off the shelf in front of me. Not knowing what it was, I freaked out and smacked it, then turned on the light and saw what it was.

try working for a newspaper if you can be reached AT ALL you are working........24 hours a day all week long...........and the wife wonders why i let my cell phone battery die on occasion :D

That's definitely worse than my work irritations, although I do have a few. I work two different campus jobs, and sometimes when I'm on break from one I'll go to the other office to take care of little things, like filing my timesheet, arranging for extra hours or whatever. Any time I do so, I get at least 5 minutes of, "Can you show me how to do this?" or, "So-and-so came by with a problem and blah-blah-blah I didn't do it right, can you fix it for me?" I'm one of the most senior student workers at either job, so I can't get really upset about it, but I make the same wage! And it's my break. Everyone knows they're my breaks - it's the only time I show up unscheduled, usually with my hands full of food and headphones on. Does that really seem like the time to ask a person a favor? Ugh. I'm not sure what's worse; that or when my office job calls me when I'm working tech support, for technical support, and then once I get there they start asking me about my office responsibilities instead. I make less doing tech support than I do at the office, so that one should probably rub me more, but somehow it doesn't... quite.
~Joe

Yeah those urinal moments are uncomfortable. I remember this one time where there were like 14 urinals on each wall (so about 28) and I 'm the only one using them. Then some guy walks in and goes right next to me. Come on!

Invasion of personal space, much? o.o

I simply will not engage in conversation at a bathroom. I do not care if people think I am being rude, I consider it rude to be bothered there in the first place.

There used to be a thing floating around the internet called, "The Man Test," that was a quiz on which urinal to take depending on which were already occupied. Now I can only find it as, "The Urinal Test," which is a less entertaining name for it. Still, very apropos.

I simply will not engage in conversation at a bathroom. I do not care if people think I am being rude, I consider it rude to be bothered there in the first place.

Amen to that. I'll make some rare exceptions for close friends. (My martial arts buddies have thrown me over their heads by the junk before, talking at urinals is small potatoes next to that.) But generally, I have something I intend to do in the bathroom and beyond that I'm not interested in what goes on there.
~Joe

Saw this on the inside door of the public bathroom stalls.

jgiwyp.jpg

Actually the stare is quite disconcerting when you are in that position.

Wow Jim, I think that was very rude of that customer. I guess girls don't have problems like that...seeing as we don't go in urinals ;) I've never had someone start talking to me through the stall before.

I hear ya. You'd think they'd respect someones 'personal time' at least.

My favorite is when I was in Seatac airport, and had to use the public restroom. I was on a break, and in uniform. So I'm at the urinal, and the guy next to me asks 'So, what kind of chemical are you guys going to spray onto us today from your chemtrails?' I just laughed, thinking he was joking, but he didn't laugh, and looked totally serious. I just flushed, shook my head, and walked away. What an idiot.:crazy:

What kind of chemical? Tempting... very tempting... :rolleyes:

Ah the joys of retail work. in some ways I am glad I dont have to deal with that anymore but at the same time this job comes with its own annoyances. I currently am a TA for a class and you should hear some of the excuses I get from people for why the missed class. Things like I was in Jail can I make up that class is still my favorite excuse I have gotten so far, though the one where she missed class because she was getting a certain body part augmented is another of the favorites. Otherwise its just people who are adults acting like I should hold their hand and do things or them like they are 6. its ridiculous.

Back