Thread: In the Name of Science!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the Name of Science!

Take a look:

http://www.slate.com/id/2205310/?GT1=38001

Share your thoughts. If we could (which is inevitable), then should we or should we not?
    "I'm just a scientist without the proper documentation."

My Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=113724

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jimmy, I was actually seconds away from posting this!

I think it'd be really cool to clone a Neanderthal or two. Of course I'd want them to be treated humanely, possibly giving them human rights if it turns out they are capable of understanding and exercising them.

Two flies one pitcher. Minus the crap eating. obregon562's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think it would be totally cool!

the only problem is what to do with it lol. Do you let it mature? Kill it and examine it? Maybe clone alot to do both? Would it be right to let a "family" roam in some secluded place?
    "It's easy to rip on cops, when you aren't the one needing saving"

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely yes!
    At least it'll be interesting to see if they could talk and stuff.
    Seeing a parallel branch of human evolution would totally rock!
    It is hard to always be a human being... people get in the way.

An education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease. It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
    - Terry Pratchett

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if they can do that with these animals, why not work on doing it with animals that have already/or are becoming extinct? animals that werent killed off over time from climate change, but animals killed off from overpoaching? i think it would be "cool" to bring a neanderthal back, but what would it really prove? is it worth the money? we could use this technology in so many better ways than this. why waste time?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, we are talking about a creature that clearly had culture, belief systems, possibly art and pretty much anything else we think makes us human. These were creatures as intellegent as humans I believe and I feel that cloning them would be equivalent to cloning humans. They likely would understand anything human beings do at least at a rudimentary level and this worries me. As an archaeologist however I would be really excited to see what they would be like especially if you allowed the clone individual to be raised as if it was any other human child. To clone one just to study it like a caged monkey I think would be wrong. I just couldnt go along with it unless you were going to allow the individual all of the rights of a human being and full cultural immersion.
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKristoff View Post
    if they can do that with these animals, why not work on doing it with animals that have already/or are becoming extinct? animals that werent killed off over time from climate change, but animals killed off from overpoaching? i think it would be "cool" to bring a neanderthal back, but what would it really prove? is it worth the money? we could use this technology in so many better ways than this. why waste time?
    I was actually going to say the exact same thing. Couldn't agree more.
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, we are talking about a creature that clearly had culture, belief systems, possibly art and pretty much anything else we think makes us human. These were creatures as intellegent as humans I believe and I feel that cloning them would be equivalent to cloning humans. They likely would understand anything human beings do at least at a rudimentary level and this worries me. As an archaeologist however I would be really excited to see what they would be like especially if you allowed the clone individual to be raised as if it was any other human child. To clone one just to study it like a caged monkey I think would be wrong. I just couldnt go along with it unless you were going to allow the individual all of the rights of a human being and full cultural immersion.
    ktulu, you believe they are a legitimate species now?

But I completely agree with you. This isn't fair to them, those other humans. Bringing them back (though I doubt that they could) may be interesting, but they are atleast somewhat intelligent and likely sapient. So how can you justify thrusting them into todays world or racism and hatred over religion and resources. They would never be seen as equals, and while I don't think animals should be seen as equals these people are not CREATURES, they are people too.
    that makes no logic

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast