What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If you could grow only one kind of carnivorous plant, what would it be?

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos
If you could only grow only one carnivorous plant for whatever reason (money, lack of growing space, moving, etc), what carnivorous plant would it be?

For me, if I could only grow one carnivorous plant, it would be Cephalotus

hmm thats a hard one

mine would be a mature nepenthes hamata seed grown

lol

It is between H heterodoxa x minor, drosophyllum, or cephalotus.

I guess it'd be N.Bicalcarata I just like it's two fangs.

This one that was found in Japan a few years ago, unnamed as of yet except "tuberous fangmouth" I've never seen a pic of a live specimen but I think it would be the best CP to get of all! If only I could get hold of one...
00000194_01b.jpg

00000194_02b.jpg

Edit: I almost forgot about the Imperial Venus Flytrap (D. Monstrum):
00000237_01b.jpg

00000237_03b.jpg

Don't miss the chance to see more amazing things "discovered" and preserved by the same guy below:

http://sow.ggnet.co.jp/room.htm?no=10

http://sow.ggnet.co.jp/room.htm?no=11

A very very unique plant. Thanks soo much for posting. Yup! I would really like to see a live specimen. Very very unusual. :D

lol!

Hmmm, that's a very hard question. Either...N. edwardsiana, villosa, aristo, the nep Jimmy posted LOL, Cephalotus 'Hummer's Giant', H. x 'Tequila', or S. 'Adrian Slack' or some other amazing Sarracenia hybrid. :p

Jimmy, that nep is amazing! Love the funnel shape :3.

Wow, that was very nice.
I would grow truncata if that was the only plant I could grow.

Oh wow Nice find Swords I changed my mind if a tuberous fangmouth was real I'll take that cool looking plant reminds me of the carnivorous plants on zelda games especially twilight princes kind..

Anyways nice combo of goblin shark and a monkey or something like that.. :-))

This one that was found in Japan a few years ago, unnamed as of yet except "tuberous fangmouth" I've never seen a pic of a live specimen but I think it would be the best CP to get of all! If only I could get hold of one...
00000194_01b.jpg

00000194_02b.jpg

Edit: I almost forgot about the Imperial Venus Flytrap (D. Monstrum):
00000237_01b.jpg

00000237_03b.jpg

Don't miss the chance to see more amazing things "discovered" and preserved by the same guy below:

http://sow.ggnet.co.jp/room.htm?no=10

http://sow.ggnet.co.jp/room.htm?no=11

Whoa, are those real carnivorous plants? Do they exist today?

*edit* Wait, I don't think those are real. On the same website, the guy has "preserved specimens" of dragons and fairies.

It's a shame. That would be cool if those were real carnivorous plants

Only as pieces of art by a Japanese artist. ;)

All the creatures and plants on those pages are made with powdered paper and acrylic medium (mixed by hand to create a sculptable paste) then dried and painted. When sculpted in this fragile media it gives the piece the lightness as well as brittleness of real specimens until everything sets. When cured it's sturdy almost like a plastic and no longer brittle even though it retains that appearance.

I wish he'd eventually add more work to his pages!

Onto a known to be real CP I want:
N. edwardisana is the the one Nep I always wanted that I never got hold of (got close though!) back when I had a house full of terrariums. a 50 cm pitcher full of big teeth, just imagine! I wanted to make a necklace of N. edwardsiana teeth with old dried pitchers like some people do of found sharks teeth. I just always had a "thing" for those toothy peristomes of hamata, macrophylla, villosa, bical, and edwardsiana. Just the paradox of it all, a plant with TEETH! lol! :)

yup! totally agree. The edwardsiana is a holy grail for almost everyone who grows neps. Same for me as well. Hopefully the day when it will be available as commonly as a hamata is nowadays is not too far away. :)

D. ordensis

Dionaea. I just have a special connection to them :)

Only one kind, hmmm :scratch:
My interpretation of kind is genus.
If I could only grow one genus it would have to be nepenthes! =D

Nepenthes klossii, duh! N. aristolochioides on 'roids! and its an intermediate (theorectically)!

Back