What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are your favorite books?

• Thread starter swords
  • Start date
Junky -- William Burroughs
The Serpent and the Rainbow --Wade Davis
Breakfast of Champions --Kurt Vonnegut
Still life with Woodpecker --Tom Robbins
The Yellow wallpaper --Charlotte Perkins Gilman

Ha, someone else on earth knows William Burroughs! Somehow I feel my weirdness is partly vindicated! lol!

What do you think of his cut-up novels: Soft Machine, Wild Boys and Nova Express?

Pyro,
The only thing I've read by Orson Scott Card is his book on how to write fantasy & sci-fi stories. That's a good plan, take writing lessons from someone you've never read! lol!

Pyro,
The only thing I've read by Orson Scott Card is his book on how to write fantasy & sci-fi stories. That's a good plan, take writing lessons from someone you've never read! lol!

Go to the store/library today and grab a copy of 'Ender's Game' :) One of the best Sci-Fi novels out there.

Go to the store/library today and grab a copy of 'Ender's Game' :) One of the best Sci-Fi novels out there.

I have to agree, it is probably one of of my favorite books. The rest of the series is quite good too.

My wife and I did a 4-day vacation to the Lake George area of NY in September..
She has read all of the "Leatherstocking Tales" books before, but I never had.

After seeing "Cooper's Cave" at Glens Falls, visiting Fort William Henry and the remains of Fort Edward,
and hiking along the wild Hudson river on the eastern edge of the Adirondacks, I just had to read "The Last of the Mohicans" by James Fenimore Cooper!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leatherstocking_Tales

It was cool to read the story after I had just been to the actual locations where it took place!
(the story itself is fiction, but based on actual historical events of the French and Indian War.)

Just finished the book a few days ago!
great story!
and as always, much better than the movie! ;)
I might read more of the Leatherstocking Tales..

Before that I read:
http://www.ajjacobs.com/books/yolb.asp
highly recommended! :)

My all time favorite authors would have to be JRR Tolkein and Douglas Adams.
I have read all the works by both of them, multiple times.

Scot

interesting bit of trivia..
Alan Alda's character "Hawkeye" from MASH is named after Hawkeye, the scout from the Leatherstocking Tales
and Last of the Mohicans.
In one MASH episode, Hawkeye explains that his father gave him the nickname when he was a kid.

I have to agree, it is probably one of of my favorite books. The rest of the series is quite good too.

I thought 'Xenocide' and 'Children of the Mind' were a little weak personally. But I enjoyed 'Speaker for the Dead'. And the Bean books were good to for the most part.

Ha, someone else on earth knows William Burroughs! Somehow I feel my weirdness is partly vindicated! lol!

HA! first Skinny Puppy and now Burroughs!
I liked The Soft Machine more than any of the others... His obsession with "undifferentiated tissues" just kills me.
I loved Junky for the whole straight forward confessional thing. Yeah, the majority of his work falls into that category of confessional but this was a little less ambiguous more of a "hey guys, I killed my wife."

I thought 'Xenocide' and 'Children of the Mind' were a little weak personally. But I enjoyed 'Speaker for the Dead'. And the Bean books were good to for the most part.

I can see where you could say that, I liked them I think because of the anthropological aspects of them and the moral dilemmas that are present. I havent finished the Bean series yet and have only read the first one but it was pretty good.

I can see where you could say that, I liked them I think because of the anthropological aspects of them and the moral dilemmas that are present. I havent finished the Bean series yet and have only read the first one but it was pretty good.

Do not get me wrong, I enjoyed them I just do not think they are the same calibre as the first two. The Bean books are good. The third I think is a little slow but over all I enjoyed them

Here are some of my favorites:

The House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski <-I highly recommend this book for anyone that is interested in something *different*.
The New Mother by Lucy Clifford
The Ash Tree by M.R. James
The Summer People by Shirley Jackson
The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson

These were my favorites as a child and teen:

Night of the Living Dummy by R.L. Stein
Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (Series) by Alvin Schwartz
In a Dark, Dark Room by Alvin Schwartz
Animorphs: The Discovery by K. A. Applegate
Animorphs: The Threat by K. A. Applegate
Animorphs: The Solution by K. A. Applegate
The BFG by Roald Dahl
The Witches by Roald Dahl
Deathwatch by Robb White
The Pearl by John Steinbeck
The Bean Trees by Barbara Kingsolver

I wish I had more time to read.....

Take your pick from these authors:

Orson Scott Card
David Brin
Peter Hamilton
Julie Czernedas
Brian Stableford
Issac Asimov

I am sure there are others I can not think of right now

Woah. Pyro! You are a Science Fiction junkie too?

xvart.

My favorite book is Autobiography of a Yogi. It is a very good spiritual book for open minded people.

Kahnli,
A lotta people I know who like Burroughs can't stand the cut up novels at all. I really dig the spoken word records, live DVDs and his narratives used in music projects. If you don't have them, the I am Burroughs and Dead City Radio CDs are both great collections of bits, including some of those undifferentiated tissues and six foot aquatic centipedes making court appearances... lol!

Captain Hamata,
I collect certain books on occult & mystic topics but haven't seen that one.
I've recently purchased The Book of Secrets by Osho, it's a 1000 page book detailing several hundred various Tantra consciousness-altering techniques.
I also picked up, Enochian Vision Magic by Don DuQuette for it's historical / biographical information on the Elizabethan Magus Dr. John Dee and the books pictorial construction of Dee's wax Sigillum Dei Ameth seal. Which I've never seen done step by step and fully explained so that made the purchase worth it.

Back