Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: tattooed fish, thoughts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...t=crying+trees

I feel sorry for these trees...They feel so much PAIN! Boo hoo...

"I'm just a scientist without the proper documentation."

My Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=113724

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hardly anything about western human culture is naturalistic anymore, "naturalists" at the beach often get arrested - lol! But we're still basically natural bio-units. As of yet we're not fashionably altering people (at least not against their wills). There's a few conspiracy nuts out there that think there's secret Eugenics programs going on but I actually like the idea of humans moving away from being strictly biological entities. I welcome the age of gene line therapies, longevity research and other sort of mechanization of the human body (i.e. cyborgs). But again, for me that choice is a choice, not a "choice" imposed by some "super being" (i.e. human to fish).

I like Earth First but this video is rather foolish here. Nothing but a publicity stunt, and a poor one at that. I prefer them "spiking" trees marked to be cut, ha!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now it seems we're going to get into a religious debate... Superbeings...

Actually, no need to get into that.

Ultimately, it is our choice what happens to our world, and everything in it; I believe you wouldn't argue there. These fish are only one small, insignificant example of what we are doing to Earth. There is NO POINT in arguing fish rights, when we are killing beings that are proven to be conscious (i.e., people killing people in wars and perverted, selfish acts of murder, etc.)! Let alone destroying habitats of thousands of species, many of which are actually smarter than the common fish. What are laws doing about that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uh, fish have been shown to show discomfort. What appears to be discomfort, anyways. Who can say?
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A fly shows discomfort when you swat it. At least, that's what I've noticed.

Who can say?

I'm just trying to say that there are more important things to think about and act upon than flies and fish.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm glad I got a good response on this topic.
    I don't think fish should be tattooed or dyed.
    On the other hand, this fish seems happy and healthy.
    It's in a well cared for 55 gallon tank and should live a long life.
    As far as dogs go, to breed pure bred dogs, they and there offspring need to be tattooed to keep track of lineage.
    My mother also works with the german shepard rescue of new england, and has adopted or fostered many dogs. Tracking on her non tattoed dogs is by injected microchip.
    SK-8 OR DIE

growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm just trying to say that there are more important things to think about and act upon than flies and fish.
    There's 6.5 billion or so people milling about the planet, there's a cause for everyone. If you can't find a cause you like but want to belong to one, make one up and be a pioneer. I've never seen a Save the Saprophytic Feeders campaign though. We could print up shirts with anti-swatting slogans like "Can't swat this!" But then we'd have the pro-swatter people with counter tee shirts saying "Keep your laws off my swatter!" lol!

I don't think people campaigning against fish manipulation (?), line-breeding dogs, factory farming, etc. takes any spotlight from other sorts of liberation or civil rights movements that involve humans. I don't see one cause as more worthy of attention than another, that's a judgment that each individual has to make. I figure it's all cumulative, eventually leading to a more progressive and better world as a whole. I'm merely glad to see people thinking and caring for something other than their immediate nervous system or culture comforts in some capacity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    swatting flies is not analogous to injecting fish with dye..
    they are not the same thing at all..

injecting the fish with dye is done only for profit..it is harming animals for personal gain..
    I suppose roach exterminators also harm (kill) animals for personal gain!
    but there is, IMO, a huge moral difference..

yes, we have to "draw the line" somewhere..
    its illegal to hit your dog with a baseball bat, or drown unwanted kittens, as it should be..but its not illegal to paint fish..because society has decieded mammals are "worthy" of cruelty law protection, and fish are far enough down the evolutionary ladder that they dont need to be protetected..

ok, fine..I can see the logic in placing the line there..
    the line is above fish, but below kittens..
    some think the line should be placed below fish..but above WHAT then?
    yes, should flies and roaches be protected?
    99.9% of people would obviously say no..

To me, it all comes down to humane treatment of the animal..
    is swatting a fly "humane"?
    I would say yes..it dies instantly..its actually far more "kind" to swat a fly than to let it get slowly digested inside your sarracenia pitcher! where it can take literally days to die..

Is injecting fish with die and painting their skin "humane"?
    no..I would say it isnt..
    because it has the potential to harm or kill the animal, just for the sake of profit and "fashion".

that it why, to me, injecting fish with dye is much worse than swatting a fly..
    and why they are totally different things, "apples and oranges"..not in the same class.

I had to kill an entire colony of Voles this past spring..
    I wasnt happy about it, but it needed to be done.
    they had tunnels and holes in the front yard, and were killing a tree..
    the colony was growing larger and I didnt want them to spread into other gardens..

I did some research, found out rat and mouse poisons are very cruel..
    they cause much pain and suffering before the animal dies..(the poison causes internal bleeding..they slowly die by having their insides ruptured.)

So I went with mousetraps instead..put some peanut butter on the trap, put the trap outside one of the holes, covered the trap with a clay flowerpot with a brick on top (to keep squirrels and birds from getting into the trap)..next morning, one dead vole..its little neck or back snapped in half instantly..
    instant death..I believe the little buggers never feel a thing, they never even saw it coming..

I ended up getting nine of them! the entire colony..

yes, we need to kill vermin..and there is nothing wrong with that.
    but we can choose to do it as humanely as possible..
    im not going to catch a mouse, put it in a box, and beat it with a hammer..

I also have zero problems with hunting..

but if you had a band of hunters put a deer inside a football stadium, so they could get drunk, chase it down with their pickup trucks and beat it to death with bats and cinder blocks, I think many people would protest..

but shooting a deer with a gun out in the woods, for food..no problem..

you end up with a dead deer both ways..
    but the difference is the motive and the method..

thats why im against fish being died and painted and purposly bred to be deformed..
    but im all for "fly swatter rights"!

Scot

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast