Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: tattooed fish, thoughts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought it was fake! I had no idea that people tattoo/dye fish! I think it's horrible and people should not buy them, so maybe it will stop. This is disgusting
    Great Googly Moogly!

Beware of the yellow snow!

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was a kid I used to look at National Geographic magazine and made fun of the Africans with their bones through the nose and those round disks in there lips. And then I realized that Americans are no different with pierced ears and guys with tatoos. I don't like either. And now, women have tatoos and men have pierced ears and I just read an article about teenagers doing this "self-embedding", where they stick all sorts of stuff inside their skin. What's with that?

Ya know, mollys are nice attractive fish, marbled, sailfin, lyretail,... We don't need to do anything more than recombine the gametes.

Nice Mandarin BTW!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottychaos View Post

but IMO it "goes to far" when changes are so extreme that they adversely effect the health of the animal:

Scot
    so your against all pure breds? most all have health problems associated with line breeding the breds.........and where do you draw the line at it? knee problems run in both sides of my family and what do you know 3 out of 4 of us kids have had knee problems requiring surgery before we were 22........and there is no true "cure" other than total knee replacement.....all this crap is about where individuals choose to draw their line that they wont cross.....rather not have others drawing that line for me......
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know about the pain bit... Certainly their nervous system can experience pain otherwise, fish wouldn't still be around because they would have just been injuring themselves to death without knowing it. However, their memory span is like 5 seconds.

Now, if it causes it to live sickly the rest of its life, that's another matter.

As far as selective breeding, I see nothing wrong with it. I breed fancy guppies with huge tails and some fowl to have double lung capacity for long crows and other fowl that have tails that just keep growing.

Like these:
    One of my guppies
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...-7-19-2008.jpg

My Tomaru
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...u-x-6-mo-2.jpg
    video of his grandfather http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7nVaKwaMJ4

One of my long-tail roosters
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...ikou-14-mo.jpg

The fancy guppies would never survive in the wild due to slower swimming than their wild counterparts. The long-crowing fowl could go wild easy enough. But the long-tailed fowl need very special care.

That brings me to an important point about selectively bred domestic creatures; none of them are like wild animals. And after all, that's the point isn't it, to make them so that they can live with us.

Now if you are going to alter something, give it the care that it needs. Otherwise, don't do it.

It's one matter to make something the way you like it and give it the proper care than to do it and not give it that care.

I love cichlids, but the parrot cichlids have never appealed to me. Not due to the shape, but the colors. They don't look natural. I don't care if someone wants to dye their dog's fur for Easter or whatever, it will grow out. Natural color enhancers in fish food can be great. But I really don't like it when someone permanently colors an animal. Geesh, don't cheat. If they want it that color, breed it that color. Show some real talent as a breeder and put the paint / ink down. A real breeder works with the genetics and pigments already there.

If tattooing a dog helps it out from getting lost, go for it. If you need to tattoo a wing web for flock records, fine (I don't do that... I use leg bands). If you need to toe punch a chick for ID, do it quick and painless. There is a difference between something that could prove beneficial to the well being of the animal and something that could cause it health problems, i.e. dying a fish.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was a kid I used to look at National Geographic magazine and made fun of the Africans with their bones through their noses ...What's with that?
    It's called cultural relativism , it doesn't need to "make sense" to someone living outside the culture or outside academia who wants to learn why certain people do these things. Worldviews (reality-tunnels) often develop quite differently when one is raised in a completely different context (environment) and using a language other than the subject/predicate based system of western European languages. The Vatican is horrified by this relativism and calls it the "creeping evil" of our time! lol! IIRC the adornments are simply ways of identifying members of your tribe, and ritually initiating the members as part of the tribe at certain life-stages. I think it's interesting even if I sure don't wanna go through some of it. I believe the disk lip people are actually Indians from South America, I just can't recall what tribe it is this many years after school! lol!

Rattler,
    If gene line therapies are allowed to be developed, perhaps family histories of knee problems (diabetes and heart disease in my uncles family) could be combated and there would be a "cure". Don't convolute the issue and blame the animal rights people for that, look to the gov who won't allow it on "ethical" or "moral" grounds...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    actually if parents know full well bout these how is it any different than breeding two dogs that have history of hip dysplasia.....result is the same, offspring prone to a painful and possibly dibilitating condition......and for the record short of them figuring out how to tweak someones genes to control, say the shape of the nose, you wouldnt be able to fix my families "bad genes" all thats wrong is the shape of the notch in my femur that the patella rides in.......

as i said where do you draw the line? quite breeding thoroughbreds cause their muscles are so powerful they injure themselves every race? no more breeding pure bred hunting dogs cause their life expectancy is 1/2 to 2/3's what my pure bred schipperke is? no more breeding of cattle dogs cause when placed in city conditions they like to chase and herd things like cars and children.......not allowing couples to have kids cause of what their genetic code says and their is a 75% chance their kid will be born with a physical deformity or sickness that gives them a life expectancy of months or years not decades......

for the record i dont think humans are better than animals or animals deserve more rights than ppl cause they cant make decisions about their living conditions.....as far as im concerned im no higher on the totem pole than any other animal, ive seen wolves waste meat just like slob hunters.....seen prairie dogs destroy their habitat just like ppl.......other critters aint any better than us and we aint any better than them......
    cervid serial killer
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nd for the record short of them figuring out how to tweak someones genes to control, say the shape of the nose, you wouldnt be able to fix my families "bad genes" all thats wrong is the shape of the notch in my femur that the patella rides in.......
    dude, that's what genes control. None of the gene therapies are gonna be completed in one giant leap, damn that Armstrong for giving people the idea of "giant leaps" for mankind! But if we aren't even allowed to start, we can't ever finish. If this sort of thing is perfected it could be passed on to the critters we all love so much. My uncle is a big Sib. Husky fan but they always have bad knees or develop cancer by the time they reach 8 years or so they've gotta be put down. I wish he'd stop buying them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my buddy has a boxer.....likely be dead at 8 to 10 years old from cancer......dont really feel sorry for the dog, prolly going to have a better 8 years on this earth than lots that have it in their genes to live twice that.....are dogs with smashedin faces my thing? no but i aint going to tell someone thats going to treat an animal well not to buy it.....im not going to stop bird hunting just cause its likely my current dog will live through 2 different hunting dogs........

as i said....where do you draw the line? and who gets to decide where its drawn.....the same scientists that are studying Yellowstone grizzlies and are saying there needs to be a lead ammo ban around the park cause the griz are going out, feeding on the remains of hunter shot critters and ingesting lead(found in levels in their systems to low to show side effects in humans) and not considering that the whole Yellowstone ecosystem is a giant hot spring that naturally concentrates heavy metals in the soil and water...those bears are going to pop positive for arsenic too but no they dont tell yah that.........
    cervid serial killer