Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: tattooed fish, thoughts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate fish that look unnatural and are hurt during the porcess, but I love glofish! They are zebra danios that have ancestors that were given a color gene from coral. All current glofish were breed from their parents and retained the color. I think they come in red, yellow-orange, and green. Though I don't want to start an argument on genetic engineering...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    see.....you and i do not see an issue with it even if you choose not to do anything similar yourself....bet we can find a good many of those that make the laws that say its a horrible thing that should be outlawed.....

i dont see line breeding as an evil thing.....cant say that i can find true harm in the way pugs have been bred.....on the list of things wrong with this world thats pretty near the bottom.....parrot cichlids? no big deal....not my thing so i wont financially support it but i take no true issue with those that do.....even with the tattooed fish, i put a hook through the head of a minnow just right so it stays alive and try and get another fish to chew on it......and hope it takes it good enough so i can set the hook.......most the time i just get nibbles which by some definitions could me im submitting that minnow to torture cause it can live over an hour getting nibbled on here and there every 5-15 minutes......had the hook not been in his head he would likely get swallowed and killed quick......least the tattooed fish get cared for when someone buys them.......

other than for extream cases i really dont like drawing that line.....breeding flat faced dogs and tattooing fish is pretty far from extream in my book.....
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Red glofish have the gene for the Red Florescent Protein (RFP) from coral, the green ones have the gene for the Green Florescent Protein (GFP) from a species of jellyfish. These genes are so much fun to play with (transforming bacteria and such).

Two flies one pitcher. Minus the crap eating. obregon562's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tatooing is stupid, wasteful and dumb. On fish that is haha.

Messing with geneitcs to me is more humane and looks/works/feels better for the fish.
    "It's easy to rip on cops, when you aren't the one needing saving"

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    view my growlist
    http://grwlist.notlong.com

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's called cultural relativism , it doesn't need to "make sense" to someone living outside the culture or outside academia who wants to learn why certain people do these things. Worldviews (reality-tunnels) often develop quite differently when one is raised in a completely different context (environment) and using a language other than the subject/predicate based system of western European languages. The Vatican is horrified by this relativism and calls it the "creeping evil" of our time! lol! IIRC the adornments are simply ways of identifying members of your tribe, and ritually initiating the members as part of the tribe at certain life-stages. I think it's interesting even if I sure don't wanna go through some of it. I believe the disk lip people are actually Indians from South America, I just can't recall what tribe it is this many years after school! lol!
    Yeah, I know. I just think it's ugly and dumb. Couldn't they have just use nametags and post-its or different colored uniforms, like on Star Trek? Those aren't permanent demarcations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Relativism basically excuses anything and everything. It isn't moral or immoral; it's amoral. Pragmatism is a better word. Not the way political hacks use it - paying lip service to someone else's ideas or giving up just enough to get the votes they need to do what they want - but the way ethicists use it, meaning a search for common ground and relying on diverse ideas in identifying what is right. The fact that a prairie dog damages the environment or a killer whale tortures weaker creatures doesn't justify us doing the same. People can do better.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals — but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimscott View Post
    Yeah, I know. I just think it's ugly and dumb. Couldn't they have just use nametags and post-its or different colored uniforms, like on Star Trek? Those aren't permanent demarcations.
    Ironically the whole reason the lip plates in Africa developed is because Westerners found them ugly and grotesque and individuals with the plates for the slave trade, so blame Europeans and Americans for that one. Many of these body modifications are status symbols and proofs of completion of rites of passage. People in modern society often adorn themselves, their homes, their cars, etc. in gold or other objects we consider desirable or as a marker of social status. How are their symbols any different. The whole purpose of those types of symbols in any culture is to at a glance give your rank and position in society and to tell others who you are. Heck look how picky Americans are about their clothing, which because we have so many options is seen as saying something about who you are. How many brands of clothing merely plaster their name across the front or back of shirts and pants to show that you have their brand. These brand names then take on a cultural significance because not everyone can afford them or has them. Its the same thing when you examine the beauty of lip plates and the fact that larger is more desirable in that culture. They would think much of what we Americans do for social identification stupid and ugly as well. Its just a matter of what your culture finds attractive and acceptable ways of expressing your social status and identity.
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast