User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2008 the longest year since 1992?

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level DavyJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2008 the longest year since 1992?

I love whenever this turns up, being interested in Astronomy, I always find this subject interesting. As it turns out, atomic clocks around the world will be adding an extra second to the year to account for the slowing of the Earth's rotation. This year it will occur exactly between 6:59:59 and 7:00:00 pm on Dec. 31. That means we will actually have a 6:59:60! This extra second was last added in 2005. Seeing as this is also a leap year, the 2008 calendar year will be the longest year we've had since 1992 when it last occurred. Our year this year will last 366 days + 1 second. Pretty neat. Here's the article...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081208/...i_extra_second
    "We are in a sense the Universe trying to understand itself. By Observing it we are observing what we are." - Phillip Plait

Growlist: Updated 1/11/12 http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=110846

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whoa. That's really neat! Though, it's strange there'll be a 6:59:60...but ok!
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i find it even more interesting that the time/date system that's been around for hundreds (thousands??) of years remains this accurate...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Through some astronomy courses I've taken, I have come to appreciate our time system. If it is something you are interested in, there are certainly some excellent educational sources available. Every ancient culture seemed to measure time differently; some used the moon cycles, other (including us) the sun. Also interesting is how these cultures dealt with 365 not being divisible by 12, etc. I suppose that is more in respect to calendar days. Actual time keeping is much more complicated.

Modern, accurate time pieces are rather new technology in the scheme of things. In older days, sailors at sea would observe the moons of Jupiter and their relative positions to the planet, to calculate how many longitude lines (i.e. time zones) they were away from home, telling them how much further they needed to travel. An instrument called an Astrolabe could be, and still can be, used to tell you what time during the day it is, all based upon the location of the sun and the date. Once you read about some of these things, you really gain an appreciation for the nuances of life, the conveniences we have, and how much life has changed through inventions we take for granted.
    "We are in a sense the Universe trying to understand itself. By Observing it we are observing what we are." - Phillip Plait

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the way, I'm waiting for xvart's response. I'm sure hes got some great nuggets of wisdom here too!

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There used to be ten months in the year. July and August were invented as holidays to Julius and Augustus Caesar, respectively, if I'm not mistaken.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just remember any and all measurements of "time" / dates / calendars only have a symbolic significance - leaning towards a sort of dogmatic faith which all of us who are employed are forced to follow. But time is purely for us domesticated primates and really has nothing to do with the workings of the universe. The universe itself does not follow the Gregorian calendar ("the Christian calendar" which the western world follows) which was created by Pope Gregory XIII in the 1500s, which has been reworked for accuracy. One of the funniest is: "...and the calendar was changed when Gregory decreed that the day after October 4, 1582 would be October 15, 1582." So today is not really today, and this isn't really what time it is right now...who knows what time it really is? We just believe it because that's what we've always been told. lol!

"I know precisely what time is, so long as nobody asks me."
    -St. Augustine

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seedjar View Post
    There used to be ten months in the year. July and August were invented as holidays to Julius and Augustus Caesar, respectively, if I'm not mistaken.
    ~Joe

I don't know about the additional months, but the year used to start in March, you can tell by how the months are named. October was the eighth (prefix oct), September the seventh, etc.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast