What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

venus flytrap

hi everyone im new to the site i been wanting a venus flytrap for a few weeks now but i dont know where to get one at im from queens nyc if anyone out there know any places in the 5 boro of ny ill even go to long island so if anyone know about any spots please just respone back thanks :-(

Welcome to TF! Queens? I was born in the Bronx and raised on the Island. Let's Go Mets! Anyways, your local Lowes might have one in their "Cube Of Death". Truthfully, their plants are almost always neglected and weak. Also, this isn't the best time of year to purchase a VFT, because they are / should be in dormancy until late winter / spring The online stores have healthier plants, such as the owner of this discussion forum. Your best bet is to wait until the spring or hook up with someone who has baby plants that are in growth mode.

Thanks guys for the mention of my store. I would like to add that the vast majority of my Venus flytraps are in a cold house under full dormancy. But I also keep some plants in the warmer greenhouse to only be under light dormancy for winter sales. These plants are not as big and beautiful as summer plants since they're still in winter growth and slightly sleeping but they are in active growth and ready for good homes :) They are still cooler than they want to be for summer growth, and under a natural photo period so they could take those ques and go fully dormant at any time, but I've not had that happen in past years. Here are two plants I shipped out just last week. 'Dentate Traps' on the left and a typical on the right (3.5" pots)
Remember that plants in this growth are shorter (ground hugging rather than upright) and have smaller traps. But come spring they'll perk back up.
Andrew

1206080936a.jpg

Back