Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Book: The Heroin Diaries

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Book: The Heroin Diaries

I just got this book in the mail today from one of my review item solicitors:

I haven't seen it in the bookshops yet but Amazon says it was released in late October. I'm not a huge Motley Crue fan but I liked 'em well enough back in the day from the times of these writings (86-87). I don't care much at all for autobiographies but since this is supposed to be a diary (based on Crowley's Diary of A Drug Fiend journal system of breaking habits) it has more of an immediacy and (ideally) unglossed immediate impressions. Entries range from a few sentences to a page or so. Who knows how much editing went into it when it was being prepared, only the author I suppose. But it's 400+ pages are laid out very enjoyable 2 color (red & black on glossy white paper) fanzine style using typewriter font and hand scrawled sketches, random collage art, keeping up an intense visual interest throughout as well as interesting text. I rolled my eyes when I pulled it out of the package figuring it was just a Nikki Sixx autobiography book but my eyes got big as a flipped through, it looks like it'll actually be quite enjoyable to both look at and read!

Here's the Amazon link if anyone's interested:
    http://www.amazon.com/Heroin-Diaries...8949999&sr=1-1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck with that. Did you ever read Jim Carroll's Basketball Diaries? I started it when he had his famous song back around the time I started college. I didn't get very far, but it was kind of like that, except that it was written by a kid rather than by a multimillionaire.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals — but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, I haven't heard of Basketball diaries but then I'm not into sports in the least. lol!
    But what you're saying is the book was mixed media? I have a large number of mixed media books, I have several scrap book text/image books by Burroughs, some of my faves of this type.

As I say, these diary entries are supposedly from the "girls" tour. Are they even known anymore? I've no idea what the scene of these people is like anymore. I haven't looked at a Circus or Hit Parader in 20 years. I see the drummer on comedy central as a butt of jokes a lot. And Vince Neil got really fat on some VH1 "reality" show other than that...? lol!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Basketball Diaries was written by a young teen basketball star junkie. It isn't mixed media - it's just another heroin diary.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals — but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche