What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fur trade petition, buzzkill

This video has moved me in a way nothing has in a while:
http://www.peta.org/feat/ChineseFurFarms/index.asp
I do not have a fundamental problem with wearing leather, fur, or any hide. But the removal of an animals hide while it is alive seems so obscenely sadistic, words fail me. Don't watch the video if you are not thick skinned but please at least read the description of these practices by some of the Chinese fur traders, and consider signing the adjoining petition. You may not like the way PETA addresses some things in their actions but if you don't find this practice utterly perverse, then you have serious desensitization issues. Edit: Actually, it seems the petition mainly is used for solicitation, so if you don't want to be a donor to PETA you may not want to sign. Just look at the evidence they show and be aware that fur products often come from these places.

Last edited:
Hey Rattler should I string 'im up fer ya? lol! :D

I'm probably one of the few pro-PETA / ALF people here so none of this is news to me. My previous employer actually had one of PETAs affiliates as a client, we printed / bound / mailed their newsletters several times year. The Burlington Coat factory was sorta run outta MN when it came out on the news that all the fur used on their winter coat hoods was dog fur. Granted the meat was not wasted and it was the fur being sold as the" waste product" to the coat makers but a lot of people had big problems with that because they had not read the label. The coats did say "Mongolian Dog Fur" but nobody ever reads labels...!

Well I was aware in posting this that PETA gets people riled up like few other organizations do, but whether you are a hunter or a vegan, or a philosophical anorexic, this is not the way to take an animals hide. It kind of makes me want to skin one of these guys who's just doing his job, in my sick little way.

Edit: Well, I guess I am convinced this video isn't telling the truth. I knew it was probably to bad to be true, and also knew that PETA likes to exaggerate things.

This one made the rounds a while back. If I remember correctly, it was revealed that this is not a normal practice, and that this peasant did it on request of the camera person for extra shock value (the live skinning of the animal). I don't have link, it was a few years ago I first saw this.

But don't get me wrong, it is disgusting how we as humans treat animals - with no regard to their suffering as sentient beings. It shouldn't surprise me, look how we treat our own species. I'm a passionate animal lover, and things like this make me sick.

going to have to call BS, that stunt was done specifically for the camera.....no one with any brain cells skins an animal alive if they like keeping all of their fingers......if i tried to do that to a coon, bobcat, beaver, coyote or fox on a regular basis i would be covered in scars......also the whole setup doesnt even come close to what a fur farm looks like, looks like a couple individuals caught some animals and skinned them alive specifically for that video....that is defiantly NOT a fur farm, its a couple of idiot jackarses....

rattler, that's the first thing that came to mind watching the video. There is NO reason to skin a animal alive.
When the Discovery channel first came out they had lots of shocking video. They showed cats being dipped in hot oil and the skin pulled off alive, left skinless and alive for sale. Crazy!

Well I was aware in posting this that PETA gets people riled up like few other organizations do

With good reason...

Why would anyone be pro-PETA? I can understand being for animal rights and wanting them to be treated humanely, but PETA is nothing but a group of giant hypocrites. That's been proven over and over again. They don't love animals, they just hate people and try to cover up their two-faced habits. Ingrid Newkirk is an outright, two-faced militant. As for their VP, Mary Beth Sweetland, she may be an even bigger hypocrite. The whole organization is a sham.

They don't want people to kill animals, but they do... and have a huge walk-in freezer full of the some 2,000 that they themselves obtain and kill each yr. They don't want animals to be used in testing, while Ms. Sweetland uses animal tested insulin. They don't want animals to be harmed. Meanwhile, they can bomb labs where any innocent bystanders could be killed. It's such a huge double standard it's ridiculous.

They don't save animals at all like they claim they do, they kill them! They claim they turn over adoptable animals to the local shelter. The shelter states otherwise, "PETA refuses to surrender animals they obtain to area shelters for rehoming."

If I was going to support animal rights, it certainly wouldn't be through PETA. I'd donate to a local no-kill shelter (in fact, our one dog is from one) instead to see where my money is really going. Not to some terrorist organization like PETA that is guilty of bombings.

Sure, I don't like anyone skinning an animal alive either (and I doubt that was a legit video, probably a PETA publicity stunt), but I see PETA as being no less evil. - maybe even more so. They should be shut down, not supported.

See http://www.petakillsanimals.com/

here is why that video is fake.....(as in not an actual fur farm).....

#1 a fur farm is going to be looking to get the most $ out of an animal hide....in order to do that there needs to be as lil damage as possible.....in other words you would NOT be grabbing the animal by the tail and beating it against the ground....you would NOT be beating the animal over the head with a pipe or a knife to stun it better to complete skinning....this damages the fur....it would NOT EVER be done buy anyone seriously doing this for a paycheck...

#2 the procedure used to skin the coon in that video simply is not done buy individuals looking to sell the fur...the animals are tube skinned so that the skin is kept whole.....a couple slits are made at the back end under the tail and its peeled off like a tube sock....ill take pics of a coyote and fox hide ive got at home to show how few cuts are made.....this procedure is done to every animal i can think of that is sold for fur but maybe big cats.....how the animals above were skinned is how i skin a deer when all i care about is getting the hide off quickly so that the meat cools fast....for example in what this means in price....last year, had i sold a top quality northern bobcat hide, skinned in the above manner i might have got $100 for it, tube skinned correctly it would have been worth closer to $450....a coyote skinned like above might have been worth $20, tube skinned correctly closer to $65..these were prices for top quality, raw, fleshed hides.....not tanned hides....just like a fur farm would deal in....so how an animal is skinned makes a big difference on the bottom line of a fur farm just like it does a trapper.....

#3 as i said the above procedure is a dangerous one for the skinner, the likelihood of getting hurt by the animal doing the above practice day in and day out is to damn high.......can yah do it a couple of times and get away with it? sure.....but doing it 8 hours a day, day in and day out means at some point you aint going to stun an animal as good as you thought and you will lose fingers or at the very least give a blood donation that would make the red cross proud.....kinda like the idiots that think 1000 pound cows are hung upside down before they are killed in a butchering facility......the only thing thats going to come of it is very high workman's comp rates and your going to go through throat slitters like wildfire and fill up the local hospital with maimed ppl...

This is the kind of thing that makes me sick. I wonder how much money Peta has made off people signing up to support them after seeing this video.

Edited my above post.

hmmmmmm.....dont have one done up to sell, have a couple trimmed up so they lay flat against the wall when hung....

basically couple cuts under the tail
IMG_0877.jpg

than peeled down like a tube sock, and the belly and back skin is left unharmed so who ever buys the raw furs can choose what they do with it

IMG_0876.jpg

IMG_0878.jpg

IMG_0879.jpg

IMG_0880.jpg

that is basically how most skins look when skinned to sell to a wholesale fur buyer though the leg fur is generally still attached.......

Those are nice! What would be the usual hair-left-on tanning fee for something the size of one of those?

Would look nice stretched in a frame on the wall... not that I have the means to do that now, but I'm curious anyway.

these raw furs ran about $110 combined 2 years ago($35 for the fox, $75 for the coyote).......my wife asked for them for x-mas......havent gotten around to tanning them but i can do it for about $10 worth of chemicals or send them to a professional and have it done for about $30.....IIRC i would prolly have paid $85-$90 for them last year, not sure what prices are this year yet as we are just starting the prime time for pelts......

$35 isn't so bad for the fox. That would be plus the cost of the pelt itself though.

I haven't really done anything much with hides, just salt curing a few things. My best to date is a squirrel back side that looks as if it's crawling through the wall. LOL I would like to get into doing more advanced work at some point, but probably not any time soon.

I've considered salt, borax, brain, and chemical. Salt makes them tough. Borax is supposed to make a softer and more durable pelt. Brain seems like a long, smelly process. Does chemical beat them all?

actually havent done much of it myself just cause i havent had the time........since these are basically just going to hang on the wall and nothing else im nor that concerned bout maintaining prefect flexibility throughout the hide or any of that, just concerned with preserving the skin and keeping the hair on the hide.....the pelt itself was $35, plus i think $10 to have it tanned........

when we were out hunting 2 years ago the wife and i were sitting and watching a 'yote hunt bout a half mile off through spotting scopes as there wasnt much else out and moving at mid-day, the wife stated she would really like a pelt of one for the living room wall like is at a friend of ours cabin......ive shot lots of fox and yotes but alot of them tend to have mange or a big hole punched through them due to me using my deer rifles for varmint rifles....i know a guy north of me that runs a trap line and i cherry picked a couple of his better pelts to give to the wife for x-mas....planning on seeing if i can shoot a bobcat this winter to go with these......rather shoot one and go through the process with fish and game than pay $450 for a good northern bobcat pelt :D i can get Texas 'cat pets much cheaper but they arent as nice as those from cold climates

just concerned with preserving the skin and keeping the hair on the hide

Same here, but I found last yr that my salt cured squirrel was loosing hair. I hair sprayed the whole thing. It looks great and you can't tell by looking, but it feels funky. No big deal since I just hangs on the wall, but I would like to do better.

I've also heard that southern animals aren't as well furred and that stands to reason, but haven't seen a southern pelt in person.

same reason its worthless to shoot 'yotes for sale till late December/January up here, has to get cold for awhile for the dense under coat to develop...which is why northern 'yotes, bobcats, foxes and such tend to bring better prices than southern animals but how much more depends on the current fur market......

Well, thanks for the clarification, whoever is responsible for making/instigating this video might be harmed if I ever met them--

Who knows, might have been someone with PETA. You know, for the greater good, just to let a few suffer to end the suffering of many. LOL That sounds about like their (il)logic. That would be along the same lines as their VP's stance on using animal tested insulin while being against animal testing, "I need my life so I can fight for theirs [animals' lives]." Makes a difference as to who it is that needs what ya know. She'd might as well walk around in a live-skinned fur coat since she's against that too. LOL

It's a person's right to be for or against whatever they wish, but I abhor hypocrisy.

Back