Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Freeze Dried Bloodworms

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimscott View Post
    VFT's need something living and struggling to get away. They should be kept outside where the food comes to them.
    I know, but living in Hong Kong means leaving my plant outside in the carpark of the building or near our buildings swimming pool, which either way is a bad idea with lots of nosy kids around who are sure to go poking at my plants, or worst yet, tip it over etc...

Quote Originally Posted by allenphoon View Post
    Why don't you use fish pellet? seems it more easy to find, and just crush it whenever you want to use it, my drosera react well a few day after i feed it =D
    I always wondered what other types of fish food work??? personally, finding FD Bloodworms is easy as pie here, although i do have other fishfoods ranging from stuff for Shrimps/Crays, Massivore Delite, and a few other types of dried fish food...

Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    Make sure you aren't allergic... Several years ago I was crushing them for pings and, apparently, I inhaled some dust that floated up into the air. I went into anaphylaxis. Worst day ever. Since then I keep an epi-pen in case some other completely random thing thing makes my throat close and my face swell up.
    Luckily i don't think i'm allergic, especially since i've broken up a lot of different pellets in the past and never had a problem...

Now as far as the traps not eating dead food, i use that trick of gently massaging the traps once they are close to fool it into thinking there is live prey inside and it seems to work??? although i'm still waiting for my traps to re-open to see if the food has been digested or not...

But can any one answer me as to how much you should feed each time, i.e. roughly how many bloodworms per trap and how often, also if its okay to use dried meal worms in a VFT???

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After having been in this hobby for now 7 years I have slowly learned that there are some plants that I should not have in my collection because I don't have the resources to do a good job with them / keep them alive. If you look at my grow list, I have 2 token, young Neps, in a glorified terrarium. I don't go after them because I just don't have the space or money to have a collection of them and do well by them. On the other hand, I have a 4-tier grow rack by glass doors. I can keep a variety of subtropical CP's there. Even my VFT & Sarracenia collection I have to modify because of where I live. I have to tote them somewhere else for the winter because they would freeze to death where I live. In my opinion, if you don't have a way of keeping a VFT outside, it's best not to grow them. It would be a slow death. It's not just about food. It's also light energy and dormancy that has to be taken into consideration.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i will suggest you to read the nutrition value before doing that, try choose fish food with high nitrogen value and less other mineral value. i read from somewhere else state that minerals such as magnesium and etc are not good and maybe giving a negative impact on them...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimscott View Post
    After having been in this hobby for now 7 years I have slowly learned that there are some plants that I should not have in my collection because I don't have the resources to do a good job with them / keep them alive. If you look at my grow list, I have 2 token, young Neps, in a glorified terrarium. I don't go after them because I just don't have the space or money to have a collection of them and do well by them. On the other hand, I have a 4-tier grow rack by glass doors. I can keep a variety of subtropical CP's there. Even my VFT & Sarracenia collection I have to modify because of where I live. I have to tote them somewhere else for the winter because they would freeze to death where I live. In my opinion, if you don't have a way of keeping a VFT outside, it's best not to grow them. It would be a slow death. It's not just about food. It's also light energy and dormancy that has to be taken into consideration.
    Thanks for your input, personally i try to keep my VFT's right next to the sunniest window seal during the morning, and in the afternoon, i tend to move it to the other side of my flat where it gets the most afternoon sun...

As for growing indoors, although i knew it may suffer a little bit (as with most plants grown indoors), i didn't know just how bad it might get effected... and being in Hong Kong, getting any info regarding odd ball stuff such as carnivorous plants is a gamble since most of the shops in this town just want to make money and very rarely give you the correct info for growing plants or even keeping pets for that matter...

I also try to supplement the amount of light my plant gets by hooking up a fish tank light with reflector boards all around it to maximize the potential for photosynthesis right after sundown...

Either way though, owning a VFT was something i always wanted to try so when the chance came along i had to jump on it... so i guess i can say if it doesn't work out i'll probably drop trying to raise these plants again and stick raising fish/inverts etc...

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now tropical fish (saltwater) and invertebrates is something I can get into... if I had the money. I used to work for a tropical fish wholesaler and took care of the saltwater section.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ unfortunately i'm more of a Freshwater guy myself... since running a 200G S/W tank would cost just way too much in HK, since i'd have to run a chiller on there 24/7 plus everything else... although maybe in the future i'll convert my 55G to a S/W tank...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quick question about freeze-dried bloodworms as drosera food...

The only bottle I was able to find at my local pet store was this Hikari brand "Blood Worms... with Bio-Encapsulated Multi-Vitamins"...

It sounds as if the worms with fortified with vitamins during the freeze-dry process... Does anybody have any experience with this brand? I'm a bit worried about using them on my D. capensis for fear of inadvertantly "over"-feeding them (due to the extra "vitamins")...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Ghost Writer,

All I can say is, don't give up! VFT can be challenging, but there is a whole world of CPs out there that you can grow in Hong Kong. Try some Drosera capensis or other tolerant species, you might be surprised!

Cole
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 11-21-2010 at 01:57 PM.
    Duele no tenerte cerca, duele no escuchar tu voz. Duele respirar tu ausencia, pero, duele más decirte adiós.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast