User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: alright can anyone beat this............

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From the standpoint of how much moisture is actually in the air, there isn't much difference between low and high humidity when temperatures are real low. But the difference is very noticeable.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I lost. Today it was 69 out! Its been a warm day in December...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We hit 61 today and it's still 56 at 9:45. I've seen the temperature drop faster in mid-summer. But some people ~20 miles away still don't have power back after last week's ice storm. Tomorrow will have a more normal high in the 30s, along with a few inches of snow & sleet.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And the snow and sleet arrived on time...
    Bruce my heat went out during that cold snap. I closed up all doors and opened the oven door and slept on the couch...
    The ups and downs the past three days have been ridiculous.
    Sturgeon's Law:
    "Nothing is always absolutely so".

http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102021

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well it's only a 20-year low around here. I've been enjoying it, more or less. Today I'm the only one at work (hooray, I'm in charge!) and campus will be closing early, so I don't even have to stay past dark.
    Finch, your story is horrifying. I'm really glad to hear you're alright. If I were in your position, I would file a formal complaint against your school - that's beyond dangerous, and totally unacceptable for an institution that offers housing. There should be failsafes in place to prevent that type of thing from happening. Where were the campus police while all that was happening?
    I managed to get my D. binata and capensis divisions out of my yard a day before the snow started - they'll be staying in my friend's garage with a few shoplights for the Winter. Hopefully, the snow will pile up enough to keep my temperate plants sheltered. I didn't manage to rake, so I'll have a nice mess of crumbly leaves to clean up once everything thaws. And, my firewood pile got soaked in the last batch of rains. A humongous rat has also decided to shelter itself in my kitchen cabinets... So far I'm down three $15 bags of chinchilla chow and about a half a dozen pieces of fruit.
    Winter seems like a lot more work than it was when I was a kid.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    10 years ago it would usually go down to -7 F, but in recent years it rarely dips below 20F
    Finer in 09'er

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finch, your story is horrifying. I'm really glad to hear you're alright. If I were in your position, I would file a formal complaint against your school - that's beyond dangerous, and totally unacceptable for an institution that offers housing. There should be failsafes in place to prevent that type of thing from happening. Where were the campus police while all that was happening?
    The police? Inside, there was absolutely no-one anywhere. I have taken it up with the person in charge of housing, for sure. I almost feel as if it was partially my fault, not bringing the keys. I should always have them just in case. But still, yeah, I might do that yet.

I also decided not to tell my parents how bad it really was for me. They have enough on their plates already, and this is one case where they are better off not knowing. They would absolutely freak out about it.
    that makes no logic

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would go over your housing office on this one. This is something that needs to go to the campus safety board or whatever - possibly even the deans. This kind of accident is the result of bad policy and poor oversight; it's the housing director's job specifically to make sure this stuff never happens. Yes, you should've had your keys, but that doesn't excuse their negligence. You may have noticed that college students are, on a whole, idiots - forgetting keys should be a given for campus residents. Especially in a place like South Dakota, where that can be a deadly mistake, authorities should be planning for it to happen.
    It's probably kind of you to not spring this type of thing on your parents until they have time to deal with it. But, if you don't get anywhere with your complaints, do get them involved. You're smart and you did your best to stay safe. (Besides putting yourself in the situation to begin with.) But what if you had been drunk, or sick, or upset after a fight with your roommates? Someone with less presence of mind could have easily died in your situation, and that's a serious problem.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123