What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shipping in winter

Well, as I've begun upgrading my terrarium to a 75 gallon, I find that I have several extra plants that are taking up space. So, why keep them when I can just trade them, right?? However, I've never shipped plants before, and seeing as it's nice and frosty here in NJ, would it be better just to wait until spring? or perhaps there is a place to buy small quantities of 48 or 60hr heat packs? I mainly have some Cephalotus and several miniature orchids that are ready to go, and I'd love to see some new plants come in for the 75.

I have shipped year round and rarely have problems. Usually during extreme weather I will label the box as containing live plants. And I try to keep an eye on conditions (like I will not ship to rattler in MT right now cause of the bone shattering cold there)

But by and large a good packing job with lots of peanuts is protection enough.

Well, that's some good news. I deal with reptiles, too, so I have styrofoam-lined shipping boxes...just, silly me for not having heat packs at the moment.

If you can ship reptiles then you should be able to ship plants no worries

Out of curiosity what reptiles you breed/ship?

as Pyro said, we have sent stuff back and forth in the middle of winter, however we made sure the temps stayed above zero.......at this moment i wouldnt send or receive anything cause its to darn cold with daily highs the past two days of -17 or so....also i am kind leery of sending anything i cant easily replace......cause just cause we have had good luck doesnt mean at some point a mail truck isnt going to spend the night in a ditch and everything in side freezes solid....

Oh, I don't ship reptiles currently. I have a pair of green tree pythons and white-lipped pythons, but I'm not breeding either this season. I also have a few things that I still need mates for. Hmm...seems I need to keep thinking, as some of the things I have can't be replaced so readily.

Ah ha! Excellent. We may be in business now. Thanks Matt!

Ah chondros :)

Got me one as well

P5070062.jpg

P5070048.jpg

P5070056.jpg

Great animals.

And white-lips. I have heard they are a little nasty, bitey. Any truth to that?

Definitely are.

For some reason, I don't have a good picture of the male. But here's the female. They're both Cyclops Mountain locality.

P1010235-1.jpg

Back