What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Here they come .....

These things are like super invasives. Pesticide resistant, virtually no predators, thouthands of offspring...
Well now they will be an asian ladybug and a japanese beetle combined. I really need a nepenthes.

Oh they smell like mint too me. It isint even strong.

New article - "Stink bug spread worries growers across nation".

Some excerpts:
This spring, stink bugs have been seen in 33 states, including every one east of the Mississippi River and as far west as California, Oregon and Washington.
Mark Seetin, the association's director of regulatory and industry affairs, called it the worst threat to farmers he's see in his 40 years in agriculture.
"If I was a mad scientist doing gene splicing and putting together a bug that would really be nasty and I was turning it loose on my enemy, I probably couldn't do a better job," Bartlett said. "One might define this thing as the bug from hell."

While this is obviously terrible, the national attention they get will finally lead to someone finding a way to control them. Like Japanese beetles, they're probably here to stay but if we can reduce the damage and reduce the numbers in my house - it'll be a good thing.... :hail:

Yeah, Ron I thought I was rid of those freaking bugs when I left Florida, such is not the case as 2 years ago, I saw the first groups of them I have ever seen up here... Only noticed them because I was not paying attention when I leaned against the house using my hand as a prop... Yeah, super pleasant smell right there...

We don't have anything like that across the Atlantic :') Haha, no Poison Ivy or Poison Oak either. We have something that look a bit like those stink bugs, called 'Shield Bugs', but they don't smell and aren't invasive into homes :') Maybe they have something like that on mainland Europe, but we have really strict border laws, so we have neither invasive bugs or rabies- the advantage of living on an island :')

Back