User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 9 to 16 of 40

Thread: Rarely seen WWII tools of warfare

  1. #9
    herenorthere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    almost Hartford
    Posts
    3,785
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not only is there a vast difference of scale (among other things), public dissent in the US can stop our leaders' mad rush to whatever it is they try to rush us to. NaN is otherwise 100% correct and it can seem that the only difference between Nazi Germany's crimes and those of other nations is that Germany was better organized. People of no nation should ever believe they're inherently less evil than those of any other. They might just be less organized.

    As for the ban on the Nazi symbols, etc.; Germany went from being one of the most intolerant societies of all time to being one of the most tolerant in a pretty short time. They're struggling with "tolerance issues" now, but they made a pretty clean break with their Nazi past. Maybe the US would have more easily overcome its past if pinheads didn't have a Confederate flag to rally around. I'm not saying I agree with bans on symbols, because I don't, but it does make me wonder.
    Bruce in CT

    Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

  2. #10
    swords's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Cernunnos Woods
    Posts
    8,120
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just mentioned the swastika cos it was such a prominent symbol of Germany of the era and it seemed to be emblazoned on everything. If I were at the museum I would have been the one to ask where the swastikas were. I would think they would have some amazing examples of propagandart, statuary, paintings, decoration, etc. not seen in books. Perhaps it was all destroyed by the allies or Germans after the war? Seems like they're kinda hiding the fact it was such a widely abused symbol by the Reich.

    We generally like to think we are high minded enough not to get wrapped up in ideologies and symbolism as the WW2 Germans but I don't think this is actually so. Ideologies are always sneaky by capitalizing on "just the right moments" (national fear) and always seem to lead to idiocies (wars over territory, either idological or economic territory). I don't think any countries are exempt of this and none will lay it out in the way I said it, of course!

  3. #11

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    747
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swords View Post
    I just mentioned the swastika cos it was such a prominent symbol of Germany of the era and it seemed to be emblazoned on everything. If I were at the museum I would have been the one to ask where the swastikas were. I would think they would have some amazing examples of propagandart, statuary, paintings, decoration, etc. not seen in books. Perhaps it was all destroyed by the allies or Germans after the war? Seems like they're kinda hiding the fact it was such a widely abused symbol by the Reich.

    We generally like to think we are high minded enough not to get wrapped up in ideologies and symbolism as the WW2 Germans but I don't think this is actually so. Ideologies are always sneaky by capitalizing on "just the right moments" (national fear) and always seem to lead to idiocies (wars over territory, either idological or economic territory). I don't think any countries are exempt of this and none will lay it out in the way I said it, of course!
    There are some amazing examples of propaganda and Nazi artwork not found in books. My grandfather brought back Nazi stamps, stationary, envelopes, etc. from a German Officer and I have never seen any images of similar stuff. Also when I did an internship at a museum I found several German Medals and ribbons I could not identify nor could I find similar images of these, all emblazoned with the swastika.

    That said its sad that the Swastika, an ancient symbol used by many cultures, is now associated with one of the most horrific things in recent history. This symbol now invokes revulsion by many people when it once had a variety of meanings to many different groups of people.
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

  4. #12
    Av8tor1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4,811
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did see a few swastikas in the museum but it was obvious that the intent was not to glorify the symbol itself. There was one train engine with the eagle with a swastika in its talons on the front, plus a small aviation display of nazi medals and some other paraphernalia.

    “Collective fear stimulates herd instinct, and tends to produce ferocity toward those who are not regarded as members of the herd.” Bertrand Russell

    Av

  5. #13
    throckmoron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Austin, TX USA
    Posts
    169
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by herenorthere View Post
    Not only is there a vast difference of scale (among other things), public dissent in the US can stop our leaders' mad rush to whatever it is they try to rush us to.
    Public dissent certainly has that potential within our blueprint, the question is whether you can get enough people dissenting to make a difference... like calling for war crimes tribunals for U.S. officials/officers involved in the authorization of or direct use of "water-boarding" against "enemy combatants" (a practice for which Japanese officers were apparently executed after WWII). That'll never happen. Great photos by the way, thanks for posting them. I wonder what sort of stuff will be in a museum of this nature in the U.S. in about 50 years, hmmm...

  6. #14
    War. War never changes. Est's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Champaign, IL
    Posts
    3,935
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    --Deleted post contents for more consideration--

    Thanks for sharing the pics Av, in their final days the Nazis came up with some strange last-ditch efforts to turn the war around.
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

  7. #15
    throckmoron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Austin, TX USA
    Posts
    169
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ktulu View Post
    That said its sad that the Swastika, an ancient symbol used by many cultures, is now associated with one of the most horrific things in recent history. This symbol now invokes revulsion by many people when it once had a variety of meanings to many different groups of people.
    I have a beautiful woven reed poison dart quiver from a South American tribe that is covered in Swastika like symbols. A friend brought it back for me from French Guiana. Can you imagine travelling down there and not going to see the Tepui's? Different folks, different strokes.

  8. #16
    scottychaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Western New York, USA
    Posts
    2,970
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    That cattle car is not much different than the cargo containers the US and allies used in Afghanistan to hold and transport "enemy combatants". Nothing ever really changes except the names and places.
    You forgot the rest of the story though..
    the cars might be similar..but what happened to the occupants is very different..

    I assume you are not actually trying to compare modern POW's in Afghanistan and their treatment by US forces to Jews and their treatment by the Nazis during WWII.
    no one could really be that sick and demented..so im just going to assume you meant no such comparison..

    Scot

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The oddball tools of the trade...
    By jimscott in forum General Discussions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-04-2009, 06:15 AM
  2. Tools for Trade
    By MrFlyTrap2 in forum Carnivorous Plant Trading Post
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-09-2008, 02:55 PM
  3. Tools and their proper uses:
    By rattler in forum General Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-16-2008, 11:57 AM
  4. Tools of the trade
    By PlantAKiss in forum General Discussions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-10-2002, 07:53 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •