Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rarely seen WWII tools of warfare

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice pics B. looks like u had fun. The only subs I know about are the U-boats from Silent hunter series of games. Do they have an airforce museum as well? A luftwaffe mig 29 is an awsome jet to see in person.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottychaos View Post
    You forgot the rest of the story though..
    the cars might be similar..but what happened to the occupants is very different..

I assume you are not actually trying to compare modern POW's in Afghanistan and their treatment by US forces to Jews and their treatment by the Nazis during WWII.
    no one could really be that sick and demented..so im just going to assume you meant no such comparison..

Scot
    How is ending in mass graves different?

http://www.newsweek.com/id/65473
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    How is ending in mass graves different?

http://www.newsweek.com/id/65473
    The difference is that the holocaust was real..
    while your story has 15 confirmed corpses, and then a bunch of speculation and guesses about how they died..

the rumors of "2,000 bodies" is just hearsay..could be simply made up.
    there is zero evidence to support it..

there are a lot of people who would like to believe the USA is responsible for a mass-grave
    of taliban prisoners..and I dont see any reason why such a story couldn't be simply fabricated for propaganda purposes..Im not surprised certain segments of the Arab world are thrilled to pass along such a flimsy story as true..its sad however that so many Americans are also so quick to believe it..

so..hardly the same thing as WWII.. not even close..nice try though.
    maybe you can find more made-up stories and offer them as factual proof..
    thats always fun..

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Despite the obvious difference in scale (and organization), I think the major difference is that the Germans reached a point where they were fairly open and unapologetic about what they were doing. The US has been an accessory to, if not directly involved in a variety of atrocities, but hasn't yet stopped trying to conceal them from us. That's evidence that our society isn't too far gone - we still want our government to lie to us rather than tell us the bad that's done in our names.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by herenorthere View Post
    Despite the obvious difference in scale (and organization), I think the major difference is that the Germans reached a point where they were fairly open and unapologetic about what they were doing. The US has been an accessory to, if not directly involved in a variety of atrocities, but hasn't yet stopped trying to conceal them from us. That's evidence that our society isn't too far gone - we still want our government to lie to us rather than tell us the bad that's done in our names.
    or..
    for some reason I cant comprehend, some want to believe our government is lying to us..even when the only "evidence" is enemy propaganda..

I will never understand how such thought processes come to exist..

its like..a few people claim they have seen Bigfoot..therefore I will believe bigfoot is 100% fact...some people think the US government covered up a UFO crash at Roswell..
    I will therefore use that as PROOF that the US government covered up a UFO crash at Roswell..

totally amazing..

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It isn't that I want to believe government lies to us; it does lie to us. That's what a government can do when its feet aren't held to the fire, whether it's a national government lying about what happened in a war zone or a local government lying about what's happened in a zoning commission meeting. The Bush administration does it a lot and, when it isn't, it's misrepresenting, covering up, exaggerating... But it's following a long tradition, other than for the greatly increased magnitude.

edit: I forgot to get back to my main point - I think it's good that our society still wants to be told that we don't do bad things. I'd rather Americans pay closer attention and insist that we don't do those things, but I guess I can't have everything.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (Donning cheesy truckstop American flag jacket)
    Yeah I just can't reckon how anybody gets the idea that our government would lie to us. there just hasn't been any hard evidence that's ever happened...

I love this one:
    http://www.swamppolitics.com/news/po...was_appro.html

Cheney, almost in the same sentence, talks of the 16 Security Council resolutions Hussein had violated (necessitating, obviously an invasion of Iraq, but just a quick one) while discussing his support of the practice of waterboarding and other torture techniques which are against U.N. resolutions. I know we're immune to U.N. resolutions and all but, come on - these people are sadistic. And on the "lies" front, I love how gently and vaguely Cheney concedes that "that the original NIE was off in some of its major judgments" referring to the "intelligence" that was supposedly used to support this war in the first place. I trust these people... to serve themselves

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottychaos View Post
    You forgot the rest of the story though..
    the cars might be similar..but what happened to the occupants is very different..

I assume you are not actually trying to compare modern POW's in Afghanistan and their treatment by US forces to Jews and their treatment by the Nazis during WWII.
    no one could really be that sick and demented..so im just going to assume you meant no such comparison..
    That's the way I read it too. I certainly hope he wasn't comparing US forces to Nazi death-squads. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt though...
    Only a moral and virtuous people are capable of freedom; the more corrupt and vicious a people becomes, the more it has need of masters. -- Benjamin Franklin

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast