What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Holy Mackrel that's a big monitor

I was wandering around Best Buy today and finally talked myself into getting an LCD monitor (1900x1200 pixels) made for a computer instead of an LCD TV with the VGA inputs. It's a 28" so a few inches smaller than the 32" I initially wanted but I don't think I'll miss them. I also like that the speakers are built in like the HDTVs. It sure is nice in comparison to the old 14/15" microscope sight I was used to looking through!

If any of you are thinking of upgrading to a big monitor, do it, it's cool! I can't wait to watch some movies on it - my TV is only 19".

Wooo! Lucky dog. One of these days, when I have some of that "disposable income" I'm always hearing about...
~Joe

yeah i use a 32" LCDTV as my monitor lol...Samsung ftw o_O but yeah, nice! lol

How do you like the TV as a monitor? Do you have the higher density (1090) LCD TV? Everyone told me the lower density LCD TV's (720) would probably be real crummy. I never got around to hauling my desktop over to my mom's to hook it up and see what it actually looked like. Her TV is a 32" 720p LCD .

I was gonna wait until I got my income tax rebate check in March before buying but I figured what the heck, I've got headaches trying paint on that tiny thing (and a Visa that can be paid back by the time March finally gets here). It's definitely different using a huge screen like this. I've even found some function buttons on my Dreamweaver website building software that I didn't even know I had. I'll have to make sure when I setup websites I do it to accommodate a normal 14" screen size not set up to mine. Any idea what a normal web page width is? Around 900 pixels wide or something?

What brand did you get? Is it full 1080p?

Dreamweaver has some preview tools that display the page as an "average" setup would render it, if I recall.
~Joe

It's some wonky off-brand called Hannspree but it was the biggest size they had in monitors. It has a real nice picture with easy to use adjustment buttons along the side to change volume, screen temp, etc... I've got it set to 1920 x 1200 resolution. It has a 3000:1 color ratio - whatever that might be...

Is a moist cloth the right thing to wipe / scrub dust from an LCD screen? There was no care info in the setup book.

The only thing that has disappointed me so far is discovering that some of my DVDs won't play on the PC DVD player. This obviously is not the monitors fault but I've never watched movies on the PC before so I never knew some won't play. Is that normal? I've put in both Big Lebowski and Blade Runner neither of those will play on the PC using either VLC Media Player or Win Media Player. Most others seem to play fine.

I will say this, I never knew You Tube was so damn cool. Since the vids were so small on my old monitor I never bothered browsing the site... William Burroughs, Robert Anton Wilson, Timothy Leary, etc... all sorts of great stuff I've never seen before!

Haha, that's the same one I have. They are nice. You can use distilled water and a paper towel or cloth to wipe off the screen.

Can't really help you on the video issue. If VLC doesn't play it, i dont know what will...

i have a full 1080p samsung...i love it as a monitor, i use the picture in picture function if i ever feel like watching TV while on the computer. like right now (watching Planet Earth, even though i watched it earlier, lol!) though i dont have an HDMI cable hooked up to the TV yet, only the one on my XBOX 360. lol.

wow that's cool.

Back