What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zune Y2K ... +9

• Thread starter Est
  • Start date
  • Tags
    free

Est

War. War never changes.
Staff member
Haha, alright, for those of you who own a 30 gig Zune, don't turn it on. Apparently as of last night at midnight, they go to the boot screen, the progress bar reaches the end, and the Zune freezes.

Considering the timing, it wouldn't surprise me if it's because this's a leap year and the extra day caused it to commit suicide. MS has apparently acknowledged the problem (hard to ignore too many thousands of posts with a single problem - unless you're Creative and have launched the XFi line...). No fix for now.

Those of you who have a Zune and have had it freeze before know that all you can do is wait for the battery to run down (unless you want to take off the back, risking damage.) So, I'd recommend that you simply not turn it on. I didn't get this warning.

With all of the nice things that I say about Microsoft, some of you may wonder why I have a Zune. The reason is purely pragmatic: MS gave me one for free. :p

That's why I have an iPod. :D
But it is hard to argue with free.

I got a zune 80 and so far has not failed on me. Maybe you just got unlucky with yours but IMO i think the Zune is a lot better then the Ipod.

i think the Zune is a lot better then the Ipod.
That's why I have an iPod.

To be quite frank, I like my 5 dollar 4 gig Sandisk player better than any of them. You shouldn't need software to add music to your player. They shouldn't need to do some drawn out syncing thing. They shouldn't have "DRM protection" that prevents you from adding legitimate music. I should be able to drag and drop what I like on to them. I want a player to play the music that I want it to play, without some overburdened GUI.

But that's just me, I guess. Anyway, the warning stands. Would be wise not to turn on your 30 gig zune until a fix is released.

Sounds like that all PC's will crash come the year 2000....

(hard to ignore too many thousands of posts with a single problem - unless you're Creative and have launched the XFi line...).

Indeed. My dad got me one of those fatal1ty gaming mouses by Creative for christmas a while back and the thing started to noticeably degrade about 2 months in. The forums are filled with topics on this, but Creative seems to have skipped over them. Thus I am on a personal boycott of all Creative products.

I myself have an old 30gig video iPod which is still running smooth with good battery life and only a few dents and dings. Despite my perception of Apple being an ever so slightly elitist (read: douchebaggy) company, I do love and enjoy their products which really are ergonomic and technological marvels. I still refuse to succumb to the Mac fanatics though.

i love my ipod, but hate apple otherwise. Another reason not to buy cheap knockoff products IMO. Copies are never as good as the original.

wow. lol
i have a zune 30 gig that i got the day they came out...hasnt failed me once.
been run over by my mothers cadillac twice, dropped out of my pocket and stepped on...and barely has a scratch on it...nothing happened to me yet. **knocks on wood** infact, i was listening to it tonight while blowing up various things hehe. sorry to all of you who have had it break down...dont leave your wireless on!!! its the AIDS of the Zunes lol....Wireless off = protection? idk its probably the most recent update, and i guess my neglegence on updates paid off.

I own a 30 GB ipod video. I do really want a zune player. I just love its interface + I like the zune software which is probably the slickest media player software I have ever seen. :)

sorry to all of you who have had it break down...dont leave your wireless on!!! its the AIDS of the Zunes lol....Wireless off = protection? idk its probably the most recent update, and i guess my neglegence on updates paid off.

My wireless is off. I don't have the latest firmware/software. Hasn't been turned on in about a month. lol

I'm assuming/hoping that they wont remain bricked... I guess I'll keep my eyes on the news. :D

Edit: Microsoft says:

Follow these steps:

1. Disconnect your Zune from USB and AC power sources.
2. Because the player is frozen, its battery will drain—this is good. Wait until the battery is empty and the screen goes black. If the battery was fully charged, this might take a couple of hours.
3. Wait until after noon GMT on January 1, 2009 (that's 7 a.m. Eastern or 4 a.m. Pacific time).
4. Connect your Zune to either a USB port on the back or your computer or to AC power using the Zune AC Adapter and let it charge.

Once the battery has sufficient power, the player should start normally. No other action is required—you can go back to using your Zune!

i love my ipod, but hate apple otherwise. Another reason not to buy cheap knockoff products IMO. Copies are never as good as the original.

you do realize there were portable MP3 players before the Ipod........i prefer my Sansa MP3 player to any of the Ipods ive come across.........

Heh, I thought the iPod was a vast improvement on the Nomad Jukebox. But I can see the point. Zune, though, is not my thing. I had a good little chuckle when I heard folks talking about this in the game store the other day.
~Joe

improvement? prolly......but it is a copycat more than an original.......ive had less issues with my Sansa than most of my friends have had with their Ipods which have been notorious for crashing shortly after their warranty is up.......

Back