User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Losing a family pet - what about the other pets?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Losing a family pet - what about the other pets?

Today the vet is going to come and put my yellow lab, Harry to sleep. He's 13 years old, and we all think it's for the best. He still enjoys our company, but he difficulty moving, and he's become quite senile. The vet suspects that it isn't too much longer before he would start having seizures, so we want to help him to go out gracefully. We've kept him going for a while with pain meds and everything, but it looks like it's finally time.

So I have a question for all of you who have had a dog put to sleep- what do you do with your other dog(s)? Is it best to keep them away for the entire thing, or give them a chance to give the other dog one last sniff? Since we're going to have it take place in our home, I just wanted to know... We either need to keep the other dog (Eddie) away until Harry is gone and has been removed, or give her a chance to see him after... Anyone have experience with this?
    ¯\(º_o)/¯ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had to take our dog (an Italian Greyhound) to the vet to be euthanized...He had mast cell tumors rupturing everywhere on his belly, and it was getting really painful and messy for everyone (especially him). Earlier, one of his best buds (a Chihuahua) died at home of a long battle against Canine Distemper...The Greyhound did not want to go near the Chihuahua's kennel, blankets, or anything...And that's when the Greyhound really fell apart physically, and became less active both physically and emotionally.

Sorry for not mentioning names, but it's a personal thing...

Ultimately: dogs (like other social animals) do not want to acknowledge death, especially if they were close.
    "I'm just a scientist without the proper documentation."

My Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=113724

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sorry for not mentioning names, but it's a personal thing...

Ultimately: dogs (like other social animals) do not want to acknowledge death, especially if they were close.
    No worries about not mentioning names, that perfectly fine. Thanks for your input. I figured that we'd probably keep her in another room, and that's what we (the collective "we") have decided. Apparently the vet says that it's best to do so (which I just heard.)
    ¯\(º_o)/¯ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had to put my dog (a yellow lab) to sleep a few years ago. She was born a few years after I was, and we grew up together. She had really bad arthritis and couldn't move.

I still miss her.
    "I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one."

Wolfn's Growlist

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am so sorry Jonathan.

All my pets have been euthanized at the vets. I just can't bear to think of my pet leaving my house deceased.

I did have one cat die at home in the evening. I had to put her body in the basement til I could take her to be "disposed of". My dog Jonah kept going to the basement door...so...he knew something was up.

I know its hard to lose a companion of 13 years. I really feel for you...it's a hard thing.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my parents had their dalmation put to sleep at their home and the kitties were free to roam around and they didnt come anywhere near what was going on, normally they were very social with everyone.

sorry about your dog *hugs*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. I hope you and your other dog are doing ok
    Great Googly Moogly!

Beware of the yellow snow!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have had a few animals die in our house and its... not good for anyone.

When our first dog died, we had our other dogs near and they kinda gave him one last sniff but you KNEW they knew what happened. They looked sad themselfs. After the second one went, they once again just didn't want to be around.

The problem is, if you do it without them knowing they will kinda whine and look for them for a while afterwards. However if you show them, I can atleast say our dogs know what happened and show displeasure of even being around.

I would say for all future times just keep the dog away. Get a friend to take them for a walk or something so they dont have to be around it. Its better they realize they just disappeared rather then seeing it. Thats all my opinion.
    Check out my growlist HERE.

Its updated with pictures and descriptions of all my plants.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast