Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forget the Precogs, they've got Recog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forget the Precogs, they've got Recog

In the Sci-Fi world there are the precogs who can detect a crime before it happens by telepathy or some other technique (see Minority Report), in today's world they have a technology that they claim will read your mind's I and prove whether or not you did it. When a co-worker told me about this I was skeptical (hoping he was pulling leg) but I found a copy of the report:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's scary about this to me is that I believe the process of the recitation of the details of the crime dramatically increases the subjects mental imaging capacity, thereby recreating the event being described in the subjects mind as if it had actually been commited by them. This mental imagining is desired by the inventors of this tech to their theory of proving guilt. I believe this would supply the "proof of guilt" in almost anyone with an active minds eye / imagination. When I read or hear a description I can create very vivid imagery as much as actually seeing it before me, the more I think of it the more vivid it becomes. I've heard it said that this is because I'm an artist and have trained myself to "see" my imagination in order to put images on paper or shape them in clay. But I've often heard people use the expression "I saw it in my minds eye after hearing about it" so I don't think I'm special in this at all. The only difference to me of imagining something and creating it is that I'm continually training my hands to move in accordance with my imagination or perception. Which is never a perfect translation, which I think is why artists secretly hate their own work and see only the flaws and hope nobody else will.

But back on track... To me this tech is scary stuff and could be easily misused to control a populace whether it works correctly or not. It seems analogous to judging you as a "witch" by tying your hands to your ankles and throwing you in a lake - if you drown you're innocent if you float we'll burn you. In this brain scan scenario if you're mindless and have no imagination power (dead inside, like a good little servile robot the govmt wants you to be) you might get qualified as innocent but the docs might also declare you clinically brain dead.

If this stuff does work (and doesn't pick up false imaginings that I think it will) but only "reports" real thoughts, even ones not on the "front" on your mind, how long before we are living in Orwell's 1984? And we must get scanned periodically to make sure our thoughts are not "subversive" in any fashion to the people who currently decide what subversive might be. Thus we could truly be arrested for "thought crimes"...

What do you all think?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swords View Post

What do you all think?
    Dont or they will find out.

This technology seems to me like a very bad idea and easily fooled. I imagine anyone skilled in meditation which clears your mind of all thoughts and distractions could easily fool this technology. Plus as you have stated you could detect false images creating the illusion of guilt when one is in fact innocent.

Whats next we start scanning people to find out who might commit a crime and then lock them up to prevent it. Even our own thoughts arent safe anymore.
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    basically the same thing
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bisha'a

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or a national DNA database where the public's DNA data is stored to help in ID in case of a crime, even your DNA even if you have no record. Wait, Britain is already doing something like that...

and... *looks at swords new avatar*

*flee*

that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah Ktulu, I didn't think of that. Doing some zazen might give you the flat line brain scan too, you might not have to be clinically brain dead. Though it might be sort of difficult to get "in the zone" with cops threatening to torture you if the brain scan doesn't come up with anything... At least I'd find it a lot more challenging! lol!
    Have they ever done EEG studies to check the signals of someone deep in meditation to see what's still going on aside from first hand reports of an individual? Does all activity truly cease or does it only seem that way to the conscious mind?

I guess the only way I'd trust the tech is to try it in a non-threatening situation. Even then, if it works correctly, that's pretty scary for the state to have at their disposal, if it doesn't work but provides false readings that's also scary.

If I were to be optimistic about it, I could say it would be very nice to have a brain scan machine to put on where I could imagine a painting in some style and it would simply materialize itself in photoshop with no mechanical manipulation of my hands. Or I could imagine a sculpture and it would form out of polygons in some prototyping software and be printed on a 3D CNC Printer. That would be a "non-evil" use for this sort of tech that I could definitely get behind.

(BTW: new avatar is from The Big Lebowski incase nobody knows that movie. lol! )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch View Post
    Or a national DNA database where the public's DNA data is stored to help in ID in case of a crime, even your DNA even if you have no record. Wait, Britain is already doing something like that...

and... *looks at swords new avatar*

*flee*

Yeah well most states in the US keep blood samples from all babys born in hospitals. They collect the samples to records on genetic diseases yet they dont dispose of them after they check for these diseases. The card they are on have the babys name, date of birth and blood sample which can be use for DNA identification etc. Yet somehow this is allowed and no one seems to raise any qualms about it. So we are going down that road, just give us time. I am sure they will use the threat of terrorism to help push through more laws to remove more of our rights.

And whats wrong with the Dude. He just wants a clean rug.
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He just wants a clean rug.
    To sleep on?

that makes no logic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast