User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is a Virgin Mobile TNT "pay as you go" a good emergency phone?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the input guys! Nan I'll check out those links you posted in sec.

I don't think 911 would dig me calling to say my car's broke down, essentially that's all I want it for maybe also to tell my dad when I pull into his neighborhood to pick him up.

I've only ever "called" 911 once when I called my aunt last summer and the phone somehow directed the call to 911 - and her # has no 9's or 1's in it!? lol!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    one of the prepay phone companies, I cant remember which one, you buy the card and the 90days after you activate it only starts when you first use the card. IE until you use the pone the 30min or what ever you bought doesnt start expiring. I think you have to buy and use the first card as soon as you get it but after that I think you should be in good shape. thats if they still work that way. A friend of mine had one like that a year or two ago until they got a regular plan because they use too many minutes once they got it and started to depend on it.
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Virgin Mobil phone just for emergencies. It works well, and we always get the $20 card for it. Only problem is, if you don't use your minutes within three months, you lose them and you'll have to get another card. That part seems like a waste to me. The phone works well though, I've never had bad reception on it. I don't know about calling long distance, I haven't done it. I make sure my husband has it with him every day, incase the car breaks down somewhere. You can't find pay phones anywhere in FL where we are, lol.
    Great Googly Moogly!

Beware of the yellow snow!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Trapper! That's the problem I run into, almost nobody has pay phones anymore. If there are some, they often will take your quarters but don't work. I guess they assume we all carry cell phones and don't bother to maintain the public phone booths anymore. I drove all over Minneapolis on my way to work one day in an effort to find a pay phone and of those I found never did find one that worked! lol!

Did you have to pay an "activation fee" or anything outside of just buying the phone?

I think the cheapest card I can get is a $10 one and for 90 days that's not bad. I can call the old man on it and waste the minutes just before it runs out just to get the use out of it. I really want to avoid the "real" phone service cos I remember the insane hassle my dad when through trying to cancel his when he got heart disease and retired no longer needed the phone to contact his house painting partner. He did exactly as instructed (waited until some specific date) to get the account canceled without a $200 cancellation fee and they still tried to get him to pay it by billing him for canceling it for few months. I don't wanna fight with all that if I should decide not to carry a phone, just not buying a minutes card anymore is a lot easier.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought I saw a pay phone the other day, there was a dodo standing next to it.
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Swords: I did not have to pay any activation fee. I just bought the phone at Walmart and a card and that was it. You're right $10 every 90 days is not bad. I tell my husband to just call me on it on his lunch break or whenever to use up the minutes so they're not totally wasted. You are right about the pay phones, they probably don't keep them up because they assume everyone has a cell nowadays. The reason we got one is because about a year ago our car broke down on the highway. My husband, our dog and I had to walk to the grocery store to call a cab for us and out of the 4 pay phones there, all 4 were broken! It was ridiculous and by the end I was very upset. The store let us use their phone. That won't happen again now that we have a cell!
    Great Googly Moogly!

Beware of the yellow snow!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool to hear no activation fee! Next time there's no blizzard I might pick up one of those eh... Virgins!
    Just driving across the highway to home depot for goodies today was a blast. I didn't think a 20 mile trip the Walmart was prudent to get something I might need to use on the way back home! lol!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast