What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

wooo getting a microscope (:

laxgoal

I Like Watching Things Grow...
I'm getting a microscope sometime this week. I found one on craigslist for $25. It's a Meade Model 9400, and the lady who is selling it has new lab scopes and has no use for it. I;m really excited to see some nep cells under a scope. I wonder what they will look like!

youll really only see em if the scope comes with a magnification strong enough. i can see the cells through mine but nothing more than just some hexagon blobs o_o

The most fun thing to do is simply find the nearest pond, sample the water and pond scum, and then just go to town. You can find all sorts of micro-critters, some of which are very fascinating.

If your microscope is powerful enough, look for stomata on a leaf epidermis. ...They're always fun to find. Using succulent or succulent-like leafs help. :)

if you can catch an ant throw it in some rubbing alcohol, and look at its mouth parts! thats always fun.

The most fun thing to do is simply find the nearest pond, sample the water and pond scum, and then just go to town. You can find all sorts of micro-critters, some of which are very fascinating.
Agreed. Even just checking out the various forms of free-floating algae is great. Quantity & type of algae can be indicative of the health of the pond.

Nice! That's a pretty sweet deal!

Name brand, cheap, and up to 400X (40 x 10) magnification. You probably need to pick up some oil for the 40X lens though. Don't quote me on that though, read the manual. :D

Also, I have to third the idea that taking pond water is awesome. It really is truly incredible to see what you can find in there.

Back