User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: alright you computer geeks.................

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

alright you computer geeks.................

who is running Linux......why do you like it..........ive got a new laptop and am considering partitioning the hard drive and giving Linux a whirl.......damn windows in Vista constantly asking me "are you sure you want to do that" are starting to really torque me off......of course i wanted to open Photoshop, i wouldnt have clicked it if i didnt.............
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only thing I know about Linux is that it displays the date according to the Discordian calendar or "D.Date". I find it funny the developers would include a program dating system of a calendar from a religion based on stand-up philosophy (comedy) and the five precepts of: chaos, confusion, discord, bureaucracy and international relations. Their sacred Icon is the Pentagon (the building). Discordianism was started by a guy (Kerry Thornley AKA Omar Khayyam Ravenhurst) who was accused by the CIA and prosecutor Jim Garrison of being "a possible shooter" or "in conspiracy with Oswalt" in the JFK assassination... LOL!

From Wikipedia:
    "ddate, a program that prints the current date in the Discordian calendar, is part of the util-linux package of basic system utilities. As such, it is included in nearly all Linux distributions.[1"

Sorry, that's all I know about Linux! LOL!

My Vista laptop is quite irritating as well - they must be made that way! Every time I open my synth software I get the message "Windows Vista's basic color scheme has been changed, do you want to accept?"

Can you still get a "downgrade" of XP installed or has MS ended the licensing of XP? All the techies at my job in programming swear XP (32 bit) is still their best to date.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The appeal of Linux is that with a modest amount of basic skills, some patience and the good sense to get online and ask for help, you can get all of your computer software needs for free. And if you're really good, you can maintain a working system for a decade or more without spending money on hardware upgrades. For someone that does stuff like typography, Linux is a goldmine. There are a bevy of extremely capable layout, publishing and design programs available under open source licenses.
    A good example would be the difference between hiring a contractor and doing your own home repair; you can pay to get it done right, or do it yourself. If you don't know what you're doing, it'll end up being a pain in the rear and a general disaster. But if you take the time to learn the actual trades, then you'll save yourself a lot of cash, and if you're sharp you'll probably learn to do some pretty impressive things as well.
    ~Joe

PS - swords, I feel like you need to know about NetHack.
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rattler_mt View Post
    who is running Linux......why do you like it..........ive got a new laptop and am considering partitioning the hard drive and giving Linux a whirl.......damn windows in Vista constantly asking me "are you sure you want to do that" are starting to really torque me off......of course i wanted to open Photoshop, i wouldnt have clicked it if i didnt.............
    I should be installing Ubuntu Linux soon on my new computer. I'll tell you then.
    - NeciFiX

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    These days it's pretty easy to download your flavor of choice and get running. For any difficulties you run into, there's a lot of documentation, forums, and other support available. It'd be helpful if you know somebody who knows what's going on, as with all things, but it's not a requirement.

Once you've got things set up, it's all pretty darn easy. In fact, for the general user, things really aren't that different. When you want to go on the web, you start up firefox. When you want to make a spreadsheet, write a document, you use open office (which you should be doing in windows, too!) And then there's thousands of free, fun, open source programs out there to play with. There's everything you could imagine, a lot of it comparable to or better than it's commercial counterparts.

Me, I have my dad to help me when I get stuck, but general operations are all pretty straightforward. Further, I've frozen mac OS, I've frozen every windows edition, but I've yet to freeze my computer while using linux. :P

Can you still get a "downgrade" of XP installed or has MS ended the licensing of XP? All the techies at my job in programming swear XP (32 bit) is still their best to date.
    I believe that they recently dramatically raised the price of "downgrading" vista systems to XP. Or at least it was the case for one of the major companies... Dell maybe.

damn windows in Vista constantly asking me "are you sure you want to do that" are starting to really torque me off
    I hear that! I like my OS to be transparent, not a system resource hog that'll actually prevent me from performing desired operations.
    »\(║_o)/» ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Est View Post
    Further, I've frozen mac OS, I've frozen every windows edition, but I've yet to freeze my computer while using linux. :P
    Haha, a frozen computer should be the least of your worries with Linux. :P
    (But really it's good, use it. Just be ready for the occasional headscratcher.)
    ~Joe
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    (But really it's good, use it. Just be ready for the occasional headscratcher.)
    Headscratchers do happen, definitely. But at least they're not from the operating system actively working against you.
    »\(║_o)/» ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hehe. That's always nice, isn't it?
    ~Joe