Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Car Temperature Rising Past Normal

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If fluid is missing you have a leak. Sometimes these leaks temporarily seal them selves. You should fill it in both the radiator and reservoir tank. Drive it for a decent amount of time (to allow it to heat and cool a few times as it heats it will push excess water into the reservoir and as it cools suck that water back in so the radiator has no air in it) after that monitor it to see if the fluid is going down. If it is you have a leak somewhere... either internally or externally. I've only skimmed this topic but if you've done this already (and checked for a bleeder as I described above) and it's still heating up- I agree with most here that this sounds like a thermostat.

It sounds to me like the thermostat is doing two things wrong... sticking so it's not opening right away, and when it does open, not opening all the way... This would explain it getting very warm before cooling (late to open) and getting warm when being driven but not when idle (the slower flow can keep up with cooling the heat of an idling motor but not a driving one). That's my best guess anyway. did you cover what kind of vehicle this is?

When adding fluid, you should try to mix it in at 50/50 (or whatever the container recommends for your temps)
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might want to put a clean piece of cardboard under the engine compartment when you pull it into the garage at night. Try to do this right after you get done driving it. If you have leak in a hose or radiator or something external if its bad enough to leak it will be easily noticeable. The nice thing with cardboard is that the antifreeze will stain it if its dripping so even if its minor or dries before the next day you will still see some indication of a leak of something. This doesnt work as well if you have had recent snow falls etc that would make the bottom of the car wet as that water may appear to be a leak when its really not.
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would also recommend squeezing the top radiator hose and see if the system is pressurized when hot, it should be. If not and no obvious leak is found, try replacing the radiator cap. They are the pressure regulation control for the cooling system. If bad you can slowly loose coolant out the overflow without any obvious leak.

(prob thermostat time, and a good flush for PM sake)

Av

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took the car in for a routine oil change. The coolant I put in on Saturday was gone. So they poured in the remaining fluid I had, as well as water. He didn't see any leaks, per se, but sees a lot of fluid behind the assembly - a mix of oil a coolant. He thinks it might be a head gasket and suggested I take the car to our mechanic an they would introduce a dye into the system as well as a pressure test.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I began calling our favorite repair shops in the hoped that one of them could do a quick leak test check and at least let me know what we were up against. I got one in town and brought the car in. The car has problems. The rear heating tubes were leaking badly. The valve cover gaskets needed replacing. The thermostat needed replacing. And my best attempt to seek advice from the auto parts place for the appropriate antifreeze resulted in cross contamination. All this to the tune of ~$860. And then I had to break the news to Lynn. That didn't go over well. We just don't have that much money in the account, much less for weekly groceries and gasoline. Nevertheless, the care was declared undriveable and will be worked on. They gave us a loaner to use and I was told that the car would be ready by tomorrow.

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Valve cover gaskets almost always need replacing LOL Unless you noticed having to put in crazy amounts of oil to keep it full- those can be held off. That is nothing major just an oil leak. Give me 100 cars and I'll find 90-95% of them could use new valve cover gaskets to some extent. Are they charging you extra for a coolant system flush? If they're doing the hoses and thermostat anyway- there really shouldn't be much more of a charge there to be honest. At least a flush at a discount as far as I'm concerned.
    It's nice they had a car to let you use though.
    andrew

ps I still don't think you've said what the car is? I guess a GM if you're talking about a coolant cross contamination.. there are very few cars/fluids that cannot be mixed when it comes to antifreeze... mainly on cars that have lots of a certain metal (aluminum i think) to keep the antifreeze from eating away at it.
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    excellent, short unbiased article on antifreeze:

http://machinerylubrication.com/arti...?articleid=841

Av

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aviator: Thanks for the article. It's more than I ever imagined,but I got the gist of it.

Andrew: I have a 2002 Town & Country Chrysler. Oddly enough, the guy at the oil change place noticed that (something) was saturated with a combination of oil and coolant and his (unofficial) opinion is that I had a leaky valve cover gasket. He didn't want to say for sure because he was the oil change guy and suggested that I have it checked out by my mechanic. AFAIK, that unofficial diagnosis was confirmed. But who can tell if a mechanic is being 100% honest or just 90% and looking to get another $50 or $200 out of a desperate motorist who about as much knowledge of cars that doesn't go beyond turning a key and filling the resevoirs that are so designated for know-nothings like me. I'd like to go to other places and ask if the parts put in were reasonably priced. That won't tell me if they were necessary, but it's helpful. Labor costs are another thing that could be compared. In a sense I got a second opinion as my first opinion from the oil change guy. Seems as though that car has been revolving around various fluids - oil, steering wheel, coolant, and transmission. So far as I can tell, it isn't leaking gasoline!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast