What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plants that like shade

carnivoure12

Hear the Call of Nepenthes
Hey everyone,

I want to replace my annoying christmas cactus that broke into pieces and my dying amaryllis with some indoor plants, that like shade, any suggestions?

Drosera Adelae? Maybe some Mexican Pinguicula?

Hmm I was going towards normal non-carnivorous plants the pots are large. Thanks for responding.

The lowest light CP of which I'm aware is D. schizandra. Cool temps, high humidity, low light & LFS for media = happy plant. As for non-cp, there are lots & I'm sure others will chime in with suggestions.

How about some ferns? Pathos? Dragon Fruit? Begonia? Schefflera? Split Leaf philodendron? Aloes? Norfork Island Pine? Dracenia?

Paphiopedilum are low light for the most part. They are pretty easy to grow too. I posted a couple that I have blooming now in this thread.

Sansevaria (SP??) known as snake plant among other things will grow in almost utter darkness

I have some kind of purple shamrock-lookin thing that takes low light as well but have no clue what it's called, it's nice and showy tho, huge deep purple leaves that fold up at night

I like the Begonia idea, but i bought a non-stop varity and it did on me for some reason, everythuing dried up despite being moist.

Get yourself a Oxalis, i.e. Shamrock. They come in green and purple, are pretty, carefree, flower readily, and grow really really quickly from some sort of tuber.

just not dragon fruit! they love sun with a passion.

Ive had good luck with bamboo in shade...

Snake plant.

Can't beat a snake plant for low light conditions. ;)

Back