What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Icicle Fight 2009, win a basal

MrFlyTrap2

OMG h8 pings
In celebration of the horrible cold temperatures, and probably over $1,000 in masonry damage...

If you can beat my icicle by Feb 28th 2009, I'll send a basal of some Nepenthes to you of my selection.

One winner, my choice. If my icicle grows, updates will be posted. (If it grows much more, it will probably pull the wall down.)

It's currently around 30' to 40' tall, and I'm guessing around 2' wide at the largest part.

*Rules

- Has to be from your own town.
- Must be attached to a building.
- One entry per person, updates can be posted.
- Pic must be taken by you, no finding one on the web.

Have fun!
Nathan

Haha, that's insane! What a great contest. Good thing the coldest days are still ahead. One question: can it be man made?

xvart.

well dang I live in oregon, and the cold blast is over here.

Hmm. . . It was 81F today. Don't think I will find any icicles. :D

One question: can it be man made?

As much as I want to say yes, I just know that will mean some of our younger special members might end up running out and making one. Only to get squished by it and have parents clawing at me. Sooo no. lol

Also sorry I'll only be able to send the basal in the US!

Have fun!

Wow! I'm definitely going to have to keep an eye out now. My house isn't exactly tall enough to beat that. I'm right near you (Genoa) so I should have a good chance with all this cold weather!

i'll gladly enter, but i am in canada, so i wanna see if any1 can compete with canadian icicles...lol this is gonna be a good one!

Wow! I'm definitely going to have to keep an eye out now. My house isn't exactly tall enough to beat that. I'm right near you (Genoa) so I should have a good chance with all this cold weather!

Genoa! Small world at times. 8) I'm sure there's a few big icicles growing in town over there. Stop over for trade, tour or cp chat sometime when you're in town!

Nate

Drat, I should have taken a picture of my cabin in NH. it gets icicles that fuse to the ground and you can't see out the window on one entire side!

man it got cold here last night...i might have a chance! it was 50! brrr! :p :-))

I don't think I can beat it but I'll take a fresh pic this afternoon. For grins and chuckles, here's a picture of the Nep planter in the bathroom window, with the backdrop of Western NY winter. the picture was from February of 2006:

IMG_0007-1.jpg

The longest icicles I've seen at our complex are ~5' long. Not long enough I suppose...

Picture035.jpg

Hickory Hill Estates: 1/20/09

I saw a good one yesterday (nowhere near the vertical mass of the original picture) but I didn't have my camera and I don't know where I will stop to park since it is by the busiest main street in town... I wonder if I wait a little longer if as it melts and freezes more it will get bigger and bigger! Or maybe it will just disappear...

xvart.

So many things to debate xvart! 8P

lol Just take the photo!! Only 30ish days to go.

we get the cold here to do one but we dont get the moisture needed to make a huge one.....12 foot long and 8 inches in diameter is about as big as ive seen.....

Do freezers count?:-))

we get the cold here to do one but we dont get the moisture needed to make a huge one.....12 foot long and 8 inches in diameter is about as big as ive seen.....

Icicle size on houses/buildings is more a factor of insulation in the attic than outdoor moisture..

bad (not enough) insulation = heat escaping into attic = warmer attic = melting snow on the roof = dripping water that refreezes once it hits the open air = big icicles..

Good insulation = less heat escaping from the house into the attic = cooler attic = less melting = less icicles.

You can drive around and look at houses to see this yourself..some will have lots of huge icicles, others right next door will have virtually none..outside conditions are the same, but icicles vary wildly..the difference is the insulation of the house..

Scot

bad (not enough) insulation = heat escaping into attic = warmer attic = melting snow on the roof = dripping water that refreezes once it hits the open air = big icicles..

Yar! Scot always be squeal'n on me secrets!

Scot....yah still need moisture in the air to condense and form ice......aint much moisture in the air when yah start getting to -20 and lower.........and most houses here have very good insulation cause you cant afford to heat them if they dont..........i may have no freaking clue what lots of snow is like but in western New York, you have no clue what cold is :D looked up weather records for some western New York cities......ive got lowest daily highs that beat you lowest recorded temp(in other words the warmest it got during the day was in the -30 range before windchill here)

Sorry to do this a bit late, been sick and under the weather. But since Jimscott you were the only one to post something you get to pick a basal! I have N. unknown 19's and N. unknown 12's that are ready to go. 19 seems to be a little something mixed with ventrata, 12isn't pitchering at the moment so I can't describe it. Both are fast growers and 19 pitchers like crazy.

PM me if you want one of the two with your choice and address.

Enjoy spring everyone. 8)
-Nate

Back