What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Modification of the Slack method

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I've got a few Drosphyllum seeds and am planning to germinate them soon. I understnd that the Slck method (double pot) is one of the popular approaches for them. So I am turning it around in my mind to use a 32 oz plastic beverage container and cutt out the bottom. And then I'd put a smaller pot in there so it rests partway down, providing drainage and a couple inches or so above the tray. This way I could keep it "open tray" in the sense that the larger container would be in the tray and the bottom of the smaller pot would be above the water line. Whaddya think?

I'm not sure how this differs from Slack potting. Why are you cutting the bottom off of your outer container? How do you expect the media to stay in if you just put it in a bottomless tube?
Not understanding,
~Joe

I thought the Slack method was just to grow it in a small pot until the plant started to outgrow the pot. Then just "plant" the smaller pot into a much larger pot and the root would grow out the center hole of the small pot into the larger. You get no root disturbance this way.

I thought the Slack method was just to grow it in a small pot until the plant started to outgrow the pot. Then just "plant" the smaller pot into a much larger pot and the root would grow out the center hole of the small pot into the larger. You get no root disturbance this way.

That's not quite it. Slack potting controls the soil moisture by keeping the pot above the waterline but constantly in contact with water through capillary action. It's useful for Drosophyllum because they like conditions that are less boggy and more like constantly moist and free-draining. You still have to plant the seeds into a container large enough to accommodate adults, and in my experience, the roots don't reach down into the second pot. Or at least, that's my understanding.
~Joe

Interesting... my plants never got out of the ceramic pots I put them in - I had to pull them out of the outer pots a few times and never saw any dangling roots. I suppose it could happen in a smaller pot... I was always under the impression that you were supposed to pick an inner pot big enough to support the plant to adulthood. I also thought that the roots didn't like being below the water table. Drosophyllum are very interesting plants. I'm looking forward to getting some new ones going. My latest batch of seed was done in by Winter weather and plantsitting mishaps. v.v)
~Joe

It's just a typical plant put placed inside the plastic beverage container and it bottoms out toward the bottom of the beverage container, a couple inches above the bottom. Th pot itself will have drainage holes. the beverage container bottom will be cut out. Haven't tried it yet; just theory at the moment.

Here's what I'm gonna use after the scarified seeds soak for a couple days:

Picture004.jpg

This just appeared:

Picture007-2.jpg

Back