I got an Email from a forum friend about the uses of coffee filters:
Coffee filters -- not just for making coffee! And you can purchase 1,000 at the Dollar Store for almost nothing.
1. Cover bowls or dishes when cooking in the microwave. Coffee filters make excellent covers to prevent splatters.
2. Clean windows and mirrors. Coffee filters are lint-free so they'll leave windows sparkling.
3. Protect your good china . Separate your good dishes by putting a coffee filter between each dish.
4. Filter broken cork from wine. If you break the cork when opening a wine bottle, filter the wine through a coffee filter.
5. Protect a cast-iron skillet. Place a coffee filter in the skillet to absorb moisture and prevent rust.
6. Apply shoe polish. Ball up a lint-free coffee filter.
7. Recycle frying oil. After frying, strain oil through a sieve lined with a coffee filter.
8. Stop the soil from leaking out of a plant pot. Line a plant pot with a coffee filter to prevent the soil from going through the drainage holes.
9. Prevent a Popsicle from dripping. Poke hold in a coffee filter and insert stick.
10. Put a few on a plate and put your fried bacon, French fries, chicken fingers, etc on them. Soaks out all the grease.
I also use them to drain the 10% bleach solution for B. liniflora seeds and I think that if the filter goes up the sides of a pot, it can provide some wicking action.