Thread: Coffe Filters - #8 Suggestion

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Coffe Filters - #8 Suggestion

I got an Email from a forum friend about the uses of coffee filters:

Coffee filters -- not just for making coffee! And you can purchase 1,000 at the Dollar Store for almost nothing.
    1. Cover bowls or dishes when cooking in the microwave. Coffee filters make excellent covers to prevent splatters.
    2. Clean windows and mirrors. Coffee filters are lint-free so they'll leave windows sparkling.
    3. Protect your good china . Separate your good dishes by putting a coffee filter between each dish.
    4. Filter broken cork from wine. If you break the cork when opening a wine bottle, filter the wine through a coffee filter.
    5. Protect a cast-iron skillet. Place a coffee filter in the skillet to absorb moisture and prevent rust.
    6. Apply shoe polish. Ball up a lint-free coffee filter.
    7. Recycle frying oil. After frying, strain oil through a sieve lined with a coffee filter.
    8. Stop the soil from leaking out of a plant pot. Line a plant pot with a coffee filter to prevent the soil from going through the drainage holes.
    9. Prevent a Popsicle from dripping. Poke hold in a coffee filter and insert stick.
    10. Put a few on a plate and put your fried bacon, French fries, chicken fingers, etc on them. Soaks out all the grease.

I also use them to drain the 10% bleach solution for B. liniflora seeds and I think that if the filter goes up the sides of a pot, it can provide some wicking action.

Whaddya think?

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level DavyJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting at least. I will probably try washing a window with one soon. I'd be worried that they are too course of paper and would scratch the surface slightly.
    "We are in a sense the Universe trying to understand itself. By Observing it we are observing what we are." - Phillip Plait

Growlist: Updated 1/11/12 http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=110846

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    all the answers sound great, and i will definately try some, lining a pot for sure! My girlfriend will definately be happy about the microwave splatter guard... besides, we stopped drinking coffee!
    Grow list...
    http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114907

“Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn.” C.S. Lewis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    also, put the seed pod of a sarracenia into one and let the seeeds come out XP

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's funny. Just today at work I had to create a marketing flyer with that very thing about coffee filters. How does it relate to real estate? It doesn't. lol
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blokeman View Post
    all the answers sound great, and i will definately try some, lining a pot for sure! My girlfriend will definately be happy about the microwave splatter guard... besides, we stopped drinking coffee!

Another household item that makes a fabulous microwave splatter guard is a thing called: a paper plate.

--The Original microwave splatter guard--
    Only a moral and virtuous people are capable of freedom; the more corrupt and vicious a people becomes, the more it has need of masters. -- Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol fryster, i'll keep that in mind
    Grow list...
    http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114907

“Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn.” C.S. Lewis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to work in a water quality lab, and we would have to be extremely careful about washing our sample bottles with the paper print-out labels. We had to leave them in a hydrochloric acid bath overnight in order to prevent contamination from the paper. Decomposing paper releases nitrogen (or is it phosphorous? I can't remember!)...good for most plants, but probably not for carnivores.

I've tried coffee filters at the bottoms of other plants' pots...they worked well, but got moldy and decomposed quickly. Know what works well? the little patches they sell for screen doors.
    -Emily

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast