Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CPs and Martha Stewart

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I may put a squirt in... But I've never filled a 13" 'Miranda' pitcher half full of water... I'm not saying it'll hurt the plant (past ripping the pitcher from the tendril) but I've never seen one that full on it's own. or even close to it.
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    was at work and didnt watch the whole video...........as i said....half full when empty will likely do more good than harm.........
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The average "professional gardener" believes the "fill the pitchers" mantra because the tags of the company that sells N. Miranda, N. Velvet, N. "alata" (actually N. Ventrata) tells you to do just that. I suppose filling them with water on those big hanging Nep baskets may keep the pitchers for a little while in normal household humidity. My aunt's Bachmanns flower shop gets them a few times a year-always the same hybrids though. These retail Nep baskets are grown in a greenhouse not a window with central heating and 20% humidity, so those big beautiful pitchers that are on it are not long for this world after bringing them home. Adding water MAY add longevity but decrease carnivorous effectiveness by diluting the acidity of the fluid. That said, once you get deep into Neps like I was you'll have showerstalls/grow areas with humidity sustaining equipment and don't have to think about that stuff. The only thing I added to any of my pitchers was a defrosted cricket every week or two (depending on size). Neps are challenge to get started but so worth it - though heartbreaking cos even with a shower stall you can't have a 6 foot diameter N. bical comfortably with other species competing for light. I hated selling my outsized monsters once they got big even though it meant I could do more plant shopping!

As far as Martha, the only episode I've seen on CPs with her was long before she was an ex-con! She interviewed James Pieterpaulo the author of Carnivorous Plants of the World. Years ago a lot of people accused this guy and his defunct nursery of being a poacher. I don't know if this was true or a rumor began out of jealousy buy rival nursery owners (not uncommon in the Orchid world) . But his book was nice to have when I first got it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    huh, very cool! Thanks for the link!

She kind of goes nuts with that basket huh? Ive never seen that many plants put into a basket before lol, ah well....to each their own! Im thinking they put them in there so "neglectful" probably because of the time "crunch" for each segment. Hopefully they went back and worked em in a little better.

I was sad to see the sundews not so dewy. I was ready to laugh when she touched the dew, as I avoid touching mine...feels like sticky snot, scares the heck out of me for some reason lol!....I was prepared for a good reaction. oh well.

those are some pretty awsome neps though...hopefully Ill have somewhere to grow some in the future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NaRnAr View Post
    huh, very cool! Thanks for the link!

She kind of goes nuts with that basket huh? Ive never seen that many plants put into a basket before lol, ah well....to each their own! Im thinking they put them in there so "neglectful" probably because of the time "crunch" for each segment. Hopefully they went back and worked em in a little better.

I was sad to see the sundews not so dewy. I was ready to laugh when she touched the dew, as I avoid touching mine...feels like sticky snot, scares the heck out of me for some reason lol!....I was prepared for a good reaction. oh well.

those are some pretty awsome neps though...hopefully Ill have somewhere to grow some in the future.
    I believe she touched the ping, not the drosera - but I don't remember the clip very well.
    To me, drosera dew feels more like soap rather than being sticky. When pulling out capensis I've gotten a LOT of mucilage on my hands. It feels soapy and slick - like animal slime - except that it doesn't wash off easily.
    "There is no pain as great as being alive,
    no burden heavier than that of conscious life. "
    -Rubén Darío-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swords View Post
    As far as Martha, the only episode I've seen on CPs with her was long before she was an ex-con! She interviewed James Pieterpaulo the author of Carnivorous Plants of the World.
    Is everyone forgetting about when she had Peter D'Amato on her show?? It was a very good segment and as far as factual information goes..was quite good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is everyone forgetting about when she had Peter D'Amato on her show?
    Aw, I never saw that episode. Peter D'Amato resembles fairy / goblin artist Brian Froud - they both look like little elves... or hobbits!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If he's an "expert" Then We're World renouned cp growers, which only a few are. Sorry Dennis, learn more before you come on the show next time. By the way here's the link for the segment.Part 2:
    http://www.marthastewart.com/article...v_show-archive
    Part 1: http://www.marthastewart.com/article...s&rsc=header_2

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast