What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

playing with Photoshop CS4

• Thread starter rattler
  • Start date
granted these were cropped for the web after i was done tweaking them.......

original
hamataoriginal.jpg

hamataBWoriginal.jpg

hamataBWoriginalhighbrightness.jpg

Very cool!

I've got a friend who got CS4 and all other adobe products for free. He's got a family member who works at Adobe and hooks him up. That fact makes the thought of buying CS4 even more painful.

the big thing that CS4 has over CS2 that i was using before is you can adjust the individual colors in black & white mode........make red, yellow, green, cyan, magenta and blue separately to be white, black or any shade of gray in between........

BTW im pretty sure everything i did above other than some of the minor tweaking i did after converting it to B&W that is new to CS4 can be done in Photoshop Elements 5 through 7.....all i did was merge 2 different photos and all the changes were done in various layers..........

the big thing that CS4 has over CS2 that i was using before is you can adjust the individual colors in black & white mode........make red, yellow, green, cyan, magenta and blue separately to be white, black or any shade of gray in between........

I've played some with CS3 and I know that this feature is available on that version as well. Is pretty handy.

im thinking there is alot more control in CS4 cause the wife upgraded specifically for that feature(other than the front and back page our photos in the newspaper are black and white).....the CS2 to CS3 jump didnt have any features that made her want to upgrade.....least not bad enough to pay for the upgrade.....this one feature was enough for her to get CS4 though......

Well, I honestly don't know what they've changed between version. In case you're interested, here's what the BW menu looks like in CS 3 extended. Any differences?

huh....looks bout the same.........wonder if the base version didnt have it but the extended version did....

According to Imagine FX fantasy & sci-fi painting magazine's review in issue 38 these are the upgrades in CS4,

64-bit support (allocate more than 2 GB of ram to PS)
GPU accellerated
Canvas rotation tool
Content aware image resizing
Adjustments panel for editing
Open GL and Shader model 3.0 support
Non-destructive masks
New depth of field
3D editing capabilities
Camera raw facilities

Most upgrade features are in the Extended version, which is a version of Photoshop geared towards 3D work than painting (my use) or image manipulation (Rattler's use). If you're not doing any 3D work (or doing it outside of PS) it seems rather like a waste to pay extra for the Extended version with 3D shaders and options you won't ever be using. All the 2D image manipulations are in the base version of CS4.

I believe I have that color & B/W adjustment abilities on Photoshop 7 (not elements 7) and it's from 2000 or so, it's just not in the same format of the single panel you show but spread over a couple panels however "I can still get there from here".

Anyway, cool that you got it. Did it install OK?
Have you used it with a Wacom or other pen tablet? Does it have any start up probs with a pen? I've heard one person on the digital painting forum say it was bad for them but they may have had a bad PC or something cos nobody else has mentioned it.

dont have a tablet.....its on my to get list.........been doing all this with a wireless mouse conected to my laptop......no issues with installation at all.........took bout 30-45 minutes but was smooth.......can prolly tell yah in another day or two....know someone over on the hunting forum im on that has the $200ish Wacom(think its a 4x6 model?) and he is planning on installing CS4 today........

I have the 6 x 8 Wacom Intuos tablet. It ran me about $260 with shipping off Ebay brand new. I hate my mouse for anything but the net. The settings for the pen and buttons on the tablet are customizable to certain actions that you program them to do like adding a new layer, open the brush dynamics panel, etc.
I was going to get the wide screen model but it's huge and I didn't wanna take up that much desk space! lol!

looks like an old drawing, very cool. I am just learning how to use photoshop now and... the POWER! THE POWER *laughs like a maniac*

Back