What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

pet peeves

• Thread starter Ant
  • Start date
I am not even going to try to pronounce the other words you put up rattler

the sighe is pronounced shee and crwth is pronounced crooth.....the scary thing is those words are out of some of the base languages that produced English.....

You sure you're an American, bub? I mean... That statement right there spits in the face of one of the greatest American values. It's their money, and it could be yours without you having to work for it!

small rural hospital.....to most here their books would prolly look ripe for the picking with several million in the bank but if you also look at what it costs to run a hospital for a month and knew for a fact the clinic end of the hospital was actually $200,000 in the red last month, well than things dont look so good.......since they are a rural health provider and receive county tax money i get to look over their books just like i get to look over the counties, the states, the schools ect..........why would i be interested in taking them to court if they do their part to help me take out the doc that was the actual cause of the problem? so long as the doc that damn near killed my wife never sets foot in this town again and has to defend his actions to the state licensing committee im happy.....what will happen if i sue them is make it harder for me to receive adequate health care locally....

Back on topic...

I absolutely cannot stand it when someone asks a question or asks for advice and tells you the answer you gave them was wrong.

Also, people dragging their feet when they walk.

People who pronounce milk as melk.

Isn't that a classic JimScott pet peeve? :D

People who say "ppl". *ducking from Rattler*

Billy Mays? Ohgeez he's awful. I wonder if he talks that way at home?

small rural hospital.....to most here their books would prolly look ripe for the picking with several million in the bank but if you also look at what it costs to run a hospital for a month and knew for a fact the clinic end of the hospital was actually $200,000 in the red last month, well than things dont look so good.......since they are a rural health provider and receive county tax money i get to look over their books just like i get to look over the counties, the states, the schools ect..........why would i be interested in taking them to court if they do their part to help me take out the doc that was the actual cause of the problem? so long as the doc that damn near killed my wife never sets foot in this town again and has to defend his actions to the state licensing committee im happy.....what will happen if i sue them is make it harder for me to receive adequate health care locally....

Reason number 120978 why I'm peeved off by people who sue like there's no tomorrow. My prodding before was, of course, all in jest. :)

I hate it when people serve me food. Not that I don't like that, it's convienent and nice, but, I have mild OCD when it comes to dishes, and I personally inspect all dishes for smudges, dirt, food, water marks, etc. before using them. If they have a little bit, I vigorously scrub it with soap. If it's clean, I simply get it wet before using it. If it's too dirty, I put it back. I ALWAYS get cups, forks, spoons, plates, bowls, and every item that I eat or drink out of rinsed with water briefly before I use it. This weird habit is part of the reason my hands are very smooth.

Here's a peeve that gets me; but I don't know what to call it..............

It's when someone speaks to you as if you already knew everyone that they mention simply by first name!

You ever encounter people like that?? They mention family members, co-workers, friends etc. that you do not know (never seen, never met) and only by their first name without a hint of relation on how they relate to their current story. AND, these people speak in that manner all the time!

Very confusing people to try to communicate with most of the time. They seem to be SO into their own little life that they just assume that YOU are really into their life as well! You have to continually stop their story to ask, "Now who are Mike & Jan?" "Oh they're a young couple in your book club that just joined and are sooooo nice. Okay, continue..." "Hold it, now who is Sue?" "Oh your teacher's assistant that helps you grade papers on Tuesdays and Thursdays, K, got it. Go on..."

Uugghh. FRUSTRATING! :headwall:

It may be a mental disorder of the afflicted person, I don't know, it just really bothers me. Isn't a common courtesy to describe people in your story??

Fryster........my dad is one of 12 kids, my mom one of 7........no clue how many first cousins i have, prolly right near 100, add that to the fact my mom and dad both ran different bars in the 70's and early 80's......freaking happens to me all the time...."I know your dad......i went to school with your cousin......your uncle and i were in the military together....i taught your uncle in school...." uhhh........ok?"

When you get some random little scratch. I got one today, but I have no idea how I got it. It annoys me so much, they just come out of nowhere.

lol, that isn't as bad as having a gash on your leg that stains your sock that you don't notice until that night after it clots. But, yes I HATE not knowing how you got hurt, especially when someone points it out to you and looks at you weird for not feeling it.

I hate when someone has something important to say but can't say it unless they give you their friggin life story first.

Example...my brother is not feeling well and is trying to tell me he ate some bad salami. It took him nearly 40 minutes to actually get to the point that he ate some bad salami. I first had to hear about all the different brands of lunch meat on the market, and a mouthfull of other non-relevant rubbish before he actually could get to the point.

When I tell him "Steve...my head is swimming" he cuts to the chase...but not before you've agonized over his story.

I hate when someone has something important to say but can't say it unless they give you their friggin life story first.

Ohhhh boy. I've got a friend who does that. And there's almost never a distinct point. He can tell you about a movie he liked and he just rambles on so long that it's like you saw the darn thing yourself, but without any of the interesting parts.

The best is when they forget that they told you the story so they go for round 2 (or 3 or 4...)

You are so right and I have an important thing to add. It's like back when I was 15, I was in high school and ... it was a Sunday, or was it Thursday, well ... we all agreed the peas were too salty ... you just never know how to handle it when a teacher says that ... so my boss says to me ... it sure was hot that summer, so we ... my third year of college was the best ... I don't know what the dog was thinking ... now, where was I? Oh yes, you're so right about that.

Ohhhh boy. I've got a friend who does that. And there's almost never a distinct point. He can tell you about a movie he liked and he just rambles on so long that it's like you saw the darn thing yourself, but without any of the interesting parts.

The best is when they forget that they told you the story so they go for round 2 (or 3 or 4...)

My dad is way worse, he goes into so much detail he tells you what kind of pen he is using even though it has NOTHING to do with the story, by the time he gets to the "good" part, you can't connect any of the relevant info because he made such a big deal over irrelevant stuff. He talks so much, he is WAY worse then a little kid. :help::blahblah9xm:

Reading all these helped me think of two more:

1- Saying 'wash' as 'warsh' - since when does 'sh' make an 'ar' sound?
I used to have a girl friend who's mom I could drive up the wall doing that :-)).

yeah, wet grass is awful!
Try it when it's just been mowed and the leaves stick to your feet...

Most of my peeves are communication oriented, either spoken or printed

1) The growing frequency of people using "loose" instead of "lose". I've seen this error in ads lately. If you lose something it's lost. If you loose something then you have let it go or released it.

2) Bad spelling. Spelling checkers are now incorporate or can be added to most browsers. Why can't people use them? They aren't that difficult to figure out. Even I've got them figured out.

3) Speaking of spelling checkers, I get irritated when they give you a list of 7+ words to select from and none of them are the right one. (I know I shouldn't be so darn lazy when it comes to replacing the one letter I mistyped...)

4) Lack of correct punctuation. Is it that difficult to put commas in contracted words? ie. cant is can't, dont is don't.

5) Whining, so I'll quit now.

People who say 'libary' instead of 'library'. That most definitely is up there. Also, adults who speak in slang...like using the word 'late' in place of goodbye or see you later. The worst offender of this has got to be celebrity chef Guy Fieri who talks like he's still 15.

1) The growing frequency of people using "loose" instead of "lose". I've seen this error in ads lately. If you lose something it's lost. If you loose something then you have let it go or released it.

lol my wife spent 10 minutes spell checking the ticker on MSNBC before she flipped out and changed the channel :D

People who don't listen.

Yes, I said I don't want to... no, really. No its not about that, it is that I am not interested at all... no, that wont make me change my mind. Drop it. I mean it, drop it!

Why wont they shut up? Why do I have to repeat myself 10 times and STILL end up not getting the message across with some people?

When people say 'drawling' instead of 'drawing'.

Quote:

i take claims in insurances and i simply asked : you left where to go where, and they tell me their whole nights events! did you leave home to go to work?...it's that simple! i don't want to know what they ate for breakfast.

Or the young guys who modified their cars to the point that it's rediculous, they buy a 2000$ car, spend 20 000$ on it (but don't tell their insurance copany of the modifications so their rates don't go up...), get into a smash, and expect to have their car exactly like it was before the accident. face value is face value if you don't tell yopur insurace company of any modifications...sorry!

i think 3 ! marks is the max allowable, after that it's just overkill !!!

we shouldn't judge people on how they talk or if they use slang. freedom of speech everyone!

prolly is just easier to type in a long text, and so long as the people you are talking to understand what you're saying

what the heck is melk? where do you come from to pronounce milk as melk...odd. is that like shard and sherd, jk

Back