What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Proof of concept

MrFlyTrap2

OMG h8 pings
This is my proof on concept... I'm converting my koi pond to a gold fish pond. Ideal I want to create a steam punk attitude with this. Already the sound of it is quite relaxing, and the blue provides a nightlight for when I come in to refill the humidifiers too early in the morning and keep tripping over things. I'll eventually replace the PVC with copper witch will oxidize nicely in time. The ultrasonic floater in the back seems to keep the vault at 50% realative humitdy when running, which is a green effort to recycle brine water from my RO system. Currently 15 goldfish live in the tank which will be recyled into the nepenthes when they die. (we'll see how the digestion / rotting goes at that point) The tank is filtered by a 50 micron filter which I purchased at bulk on ebay for my RO system, the housing was bought for $15 from Menards which is the same size. Eventually I want to build some wooden thing around the koi tank to hide the stock tank, but until then it will remain shown as is. The photos was taken at the start of "night" so there are some conflicting shadows in this photo.

Suggestions?

<table style="width: auto;"><tbody><tr><td></td></tr><tr><td style="font-family: arial,sans-serif; font-size: 11px; text-align: right;">From Koi Pond</td></tr></tbody></table>

Currently 15 goldfish live in the tank which will be recyled into the nepenthes when they die.

Looks cool. Are you planning on "recycling" the fish whole or in pieces?

xvart.

looks neat. I love steam punk style. Maybe if you cover the resivore with vertical planks and then a couple of copperish metel bands, kind of like making it look like a whiskey barrel, and then add some fake gate vavles on the copper piping it might increase its steam punky-ness

For full recycling, let your Neps get infested by whatever insect you prefer and shake the plants over the pond to feed the goldfish. The circle of life.

I think the vat looks very good as is if you're going for Steampunk BUT you need more assorted metal pipes, cogs and flywheels! :D

I don't know where you'd get some big metal cogs but fashioning a fake "pump" with some flywheels and belts along with some big metal machine casings and such (a dead carburetor?) would help give the tank more of that Victorian alchemy look.

At any rate have fun with it man!

Back