User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Why Facebook... or Myspace for that matter?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimscott View Post

Scott - Back when I went to college, New Paltz was repted to be the #1 drug school in the SUNY system. I went to Plattsburgh State. Supposedly, that was the #1 drinking school.. and #2 in drugs. And that's where I actually found InterVarsity Christian Fellowship.
    Jim,
    Ive never heard that about New Paltz!
    although its not surprising..

I was at New Paltz 1988-1992, and yes, it was very much a "hippy school" and probably still is..actually, the town itself is more hippesque than the college..
    the whole region definately has retained a catskill woodstock vibe!
    I think some of the professors came to town after Woodstock in 1969, then never left!

so from a mildly hippy weedy perspective, I guess you could say its a "drug school"..
    but in reality probably no more so than any other college in the country..
    actually, when I was at New Paltz I also visited friends at SUNY Binghamton, SUNY Oswego, and UMASS...and New Paltz was definatley the tamest of the bunch!

when I was a kid in the mid 70's, we had this area of old roadways in the woods that had once been a railroad yard..they were called "the black roads" because the roads were all black from coal cinders..as kids around the 5-10 year old age, we were told to beware of dangerous "hippys" who could be hanging out there! I envisioned them as hells-angels biker type people..

then, when I got to college and met REAL hippys my own age, I discovered they were the nicest group of people you could hope to meet! flaky yes, but certaintly not "dangerous" in any way..I was friends with several dead-heads...the bus stopped for me, but I never got on..but I am still a huge Phish fan to this day..

I never partook of any of the recreational activities offered in a hippy town..not my thing..
    so I never saw much of it..although I certaintly knew it was around..

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im not sure if I am "old", but I have a myspace AND a facebook.......I have two different groups of people, one on myspace..one on facbook. I use them to keep in touch with my many friends out of state, but I keep my profile private, so i dont have people that dont know me, contacting me.

They are both good, just different features. I would say I check mine once a week...not on daily.

Learning How To Multiply Indigo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i had both. i think their ok just be careful don;t get too obessed with people u met in facebook. facebook is also a great way to hang out or keep in touch with ur REAL friend/family ( people that u kno in real life). its also very addictive. i check my facebook once in a while to check out whats my friends been up to, but i don;t like facebook, it has too much junks, its just waste of my time and facebook is boring to me i just don't get y my friends r so addicted to it. wouldn't you rather spend time doing exercising(healthier)/take care of ur CP,/ take a ride to the mall or anywhere u want to do/ or even drive to somewhere close to nature experience new stuff than sitting infront of the monitor playing with facebook?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here are some pros and cons

Ok as I am a member of both here are the reasons I have both.

Myspace:
    I use this for friends and just as a fun project. Myspace has limited search criteria (name, location, etc.). My page is under a made up name so unless I invite you I will be hard to find. Also your page is open to the public.

Facebook:
    I use my Facebook as a more profesional site. Facebook has a huge selection of search criteria (school, name, location, date of birth, etc.) This I use my real name so anybody can find me. The more info you fill out the easier it will be for other people to find you. Also until you have added someone as a friend they will not be able to see a lot of info on your page.

Hope this helps.
    Grow List: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=116427
    Member of BACPS & ICPS

A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy? Albert Einstein

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not that sophisticated, so I'll bypass Myspace and concentrate on schoolmates. Who knows.. maybe I'll find some long lost buddies...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because those have taken the place of face-to-face communications. You don't talk to people my age, you facebook them. Or go facebooking (it is a verb too) – everyone does it and it is a significant part of the social scene for those of us in my and younger age groups. That’s why you do it.

I hate the thing but do do it to a limited degree because I can't really afford not to.

But I cannot say that I ever want to see random people from my high school. I hated it. Hated it, and don’t really want the memories of it brought up to the surface again by seeing people I never really knew even then.
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimscott View Post
    One of my kids and several co-workers and friends have suggested signing up for Facebook and/or Myspace. Why? What are the pros and cons of it?

No need. They're mostly for kids.

I got better things to do than to mess around on so called "social" sites....
    Twitter : Tommytimbertoes

This signature removed because of whining little crybabies.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch View Post
    But I cannot say that I ever want to see random people from my high school. I hated it. Hated it, and donít really want the memories of it brought up to the surface again by seeing people I never really knew even then.
    I hated grade school as well. But after umpteen years, it's pretty neat to re-connect with long lost buddies. I hear ya, though. For you the wounds are fresh. For me it's an opportunity for healing and renewal.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast