Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Darwinism Must Die So That Evolution May Live

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Darwinism Must Die So That Evolution May Live

Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals — but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I prefer the title "Educate Yourselves, Dummies!"
    ¯\(º_o)/¯ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm... this feels awfully semantic to me. Maybe it's that I already have a background on this kind of stuff. I think that the term "Darwinism" has been pushed around mostly by the various anti-evolution camps as a way of giving an insubstantial academic discipline a concrete subject to vilify. To contest the author, there are other flavors of evolution that are non-Darwinian; the writings of Baldwin come to mind, as do some of the theories of intelligent design.
    I'm a little disappointed to see this coming from the New York Times. It seems just to play on the ignorance of the audience. Here's my pitch for their next science headline; "Did You Know That Newton Wasn't The Only Physicist!?"
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like looking at comments posted for articles and a number of them take the same path as Joe. It's a valid criticism and I'm not sure I agree, but it seems to strike the same chord with a number of people. Or with the same person, who uses a number of different names.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals — but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After reading that article it sounds as if some evolutionists are embarrassed by Darwin. Is that the general consensus then? Weird.

So they're denying their own founder. wow. That would be like modern physicists denying the discoveries of Copernicus, Galileo and Newton just because they’re "old dead guys with early/crude theories."

Throwing Chuck under the bus is rather cowardly I think… They should be big enough to go down with the ship.

Charles Darwin might be considered one of the "skeletons in the closet" for the modern theory of evolution, but at least he shouldn't be treated like the 'ol monkey-skeleton in the closet..................

That's my 2¢ anyway...
    Only a moral and virtuous people are capable of freedom; the more corrupt and vicious a people becomes, the more it has need of masters. -- Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to say its sad that things even get to the point where people want "Darwinism" to die. Though I have agree with Joe, I think the only people who refer to evolution as Darwinism are those who want to deny it, and they use Darwin to create a straw man argument they can tear down. I dealt with these attacks on "Darwinism" when I was growing up, as I am from an extremely conservative part of the country, and when I compare the way they presented Darwin and his theory then proceeded to tear it down it reflects nothing of what I have learned about modern evolutionary thought. I think scientists just want to stop giving ammunition to the anti-evolution people. As for denying the founder all together, if all people did was go on about how Newton stuck needles in his eye and used it to say we shouldnt believe in physics well physicists wouldnt be so keen on him.
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darwinism is the term that opponents use to bash the theory when they can’t grasp the concepts it contains. More enlightened opponents of the evolutionary theory will use the contents of the theory itself to argue their case rather than using a bust of the founder to hit you over the head with.
    that makes no logic

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think it's the scientists at all that are calling for the removal of Darwin. If anything, I think most scientists educated in the field would only argue that Darwinism is a bad name. I doubt that evolutionists object to Darwin's contributions at all - just the trivial slurs that get tossed around in his name. Which is why this article really made me scratch my head. It's so editorial; exactly whom is the author representing, and who is the target audience?
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast