Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mailing plants to California

Two flies one pitcher. Minus the crap eating. obregon562's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the only state that is stingy is hawaii. now if everything is done completely how the USDA wants it done, thats a different story, one filled with dead plants/
    "It's easy to rip on cops, when you aren't the one needing saving"

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I heard a lot of stories about CA & plant shipments back in my orchid trading days and was told that boxes labeled "live plants" are sometimes pulled for inspection. So I never labeled them. I doubt the USPS opens them, but maybe the CA Ag Dept. stakes out PO distribution facilities. They try to make sure plant pests & diseases are only shipped out of CA, not brought in. You're far less likely to spread something bad if you ship bare-root, even though it can be more stressful on the plants. If you have a greenhouse full of plants to ship, maybe that'll be enough business to help the USPS stay open 6 days per week.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all of the advice. Feeling a lot more confidant now.

Swords - I am sorry to be leaving also. One of the reasons I moved to Minnesota was for the diversity of flora. This state has an amazing abundance of carnivores, all a hop, skip and jump from top to bottom, and side to side. Not only is it the Land of Lakes, it is equally the Land of Wetlands. I'll miss it!!!

If you haven't been, get up to Grand Marais and see the Pings. It'll knock your socks off.

Happy growing, Chuck

Two flies one pitcher. Minus the crap eating. obregon562's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we can bost a fair amount of carnivores too! 3 genera...the darlingtonia bogs will really knock your socks off! What part of Cali are you coming into?
    "It's easy to rip on cops, when you aren't the one needing saving"

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How long have you been in Duluth? My parents know people in AZ who couldn't wait to leave Duluth, but I've been wanting to see that area for years. I thought I was finally going a few years ago when I had funding for a conference being held there. I had vacation days lined up for after the conference and had reservations in a hotel, at the beginning of a long trail system, that was going to give me free bike and canoe rentals. I should have realized it was all too perfect and, sure enough, management where I used to work screwed around with the paperwork for long enough that I couldn't go. I hope to get there some day because I love the "look" of the Lake Superior area and I'm fascinated by the region's geology.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Cargo services are not the same as checked baggage. You have to make special arrangements for it.
    Ah, thanks for explaining the difference. At first I was like "MAN, you couldn't pay me to put plants in my baggage." :P
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was a kid, my family went to the rainforest in Oregon. I was about twelve. I will never forget seeing Darlingtonia growing in the boggy understory. They were amazing. Hopefully, I will return there some day.

I grew up in San Francisco, have lived in Duluth for 10 years, and am now returning to San Francisco. When you visit Duluth, the first question everybody will ask is "why did you come here?" Well, it is an incredibly beautiful place, strangely hip (even by San Francisco standards), and if you love the outdoors, you have found Nirvana. To live here on the other hand...the winters are long, and some of the coldest in the country. A couple weeks ago, it was -40 degrees (without windchill).

So, I highly recommend visiting. Moving here will test your adaptability.

If you ever intentionally plan a vacation to Minnesota, book a cabin at Lake Burntside Lodge in Ely, MN, right on the edge of the Boundary Waters. It's amazing. Who knows, might even see a moose!

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by obregon562 View Post
    nope, just ship any way you want! we're not like hawai'i with all the restrictions.
    Guess again:

http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/PHPPS/
    http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/phpps/pe/Inte...t_summary.html
    http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/phpps/pe/Inte...plant_FAQ.html

Your packages should be labeld "live plants" and they will be inspected by the CDFA if originating from a quarantine area. Trying to sneak them in by not labeling the packages "plants" could lead to fines if the postal inspectors open the packages for any reason.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12