Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mailing plants to California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mailing plants to California

Hello - I am moving from Duluth, MN to California in two weeks. Naturally, my biggest concern is getting my plants there safely. I plan to mail them the day before I leave (as I am flying) and hopefully they will arrive the day after I am in my new home.

Question is...are there any potential problems shipping plants into California? My preference is to not bare root them, as I will have a handful to deal with upon my arrival. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Two flies one pitcher. Minus the crap eating. obregon562's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nope, just ship any way you want! we're not like hawai'i with all the restrictions.
    "It's easy to rip on cops, when you aren't the one needing saving"

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something to consider is checking the as cargo baggage as you fly. Weather is your biggest problem at the moment.
    My Grow List

"It is only by studying nature that can we ever hope to defeat it."

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Something to consider is checking the as cargo baggage as you fly. Weather is your biggest problem at the moment.
    Maybe it's just because I'm used to international flight, but I'd advise against this if at all possible. I've had so many of my checked baggage items opened over the years. If they find plants, not sure what they do, but I could see it being a pain in the butt.

Since you said you will leave the plants in their soil, I'd imagine that weather shouldn't be too great of a concern.

If it were me, and weather permitted, I would ship them via the post. There you can just write "live plants" on the box and not need to worry about some guy sorting through them, not zipping something back up, etc, etc.

I've had more baggage items lost than pieces of mail. Percentage-wise I've lost HUGE amounts more baggage than items via the post. For all the guff that people give the USPS, I haven't had too much trouble. And you can always spring for overnight shipping if you're worried about the box sitting somewhere cold for long. I take it that your address in Cali wont be too chilly (c'mon, it's California! ).
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was under the impression CA was one of those states which requires a phyto ticket. IIRC many Ebay plant sellers won't ship there along with AZ, OR, GA, HI, etc. So you might not wanna write live plants on the box like you would in a state that's not wacky about it (like MN). Best to find out from the state of CA if you can somehow. Do they have a state Agricultural dept. you can contact and ask about it? Make sure they know it is a collection of rare greenhouse / terrarium plants and not common agricultural / farm plants that you want to ship to your new address. Agricultural pests is what they are so uppity about over the importing of plants and fruit in CA.

If you know Jerry from Orchids Ltd down here in Plymouth, MN you can ask him about rules of shipping orchids and CPs to CA since he does it all the time. Even if you don't know him I'm sure he'll help out with some information. PM me if you need his website's address since posting a link might be construed as advertising or something.

I'm sorry to hear that I'll loose one of the few CPers in my state!

But I'm sure it'll kick butt being able to grow many of these plants more easily outdoors in that climate!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cargo services are not the same as checked baggage. You have to make special arrangements for it.

For example:
    http://www.unitedcargo.com/services/SpecFlowers.jsp

It's hard to really get any information on the website, since it deals with shipping everything from pets, pallets, the dead, food, etc...

Every air service will probably have a service like this, I have no idea how much it costs though.

But just an option if you need it, not sure if you have 10 or 100. 8)
    My Grow List

"It is only by studying nature that can we ever hope to defeat it."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IIRC this guy has a greenhouse of Neps!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't ship to Ga.?I have had no problems with live plants shipped here.My mother sold African Violets on Ebay and shipped them to the 48 states only and never had a problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast