Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mayan Temples

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those pictures are amazing. Any idea as to the period these date to? is the structure pre-classic?

They probably wont let yo go there at night because of people looting the site. Maya ceramic vessels and wall murals go for big money on the antiquities market. Sad really as they usually destroy considerable portions of the site and often other pieces in the process of looting.

Walmart did destroy a small Aztec pyramid in Mexico city so they could build a parking lot because paving around it would have been too much work.

As for the auto sacrifice, blood was required to open a portal to the other worlds (the sky and Xibalba the underworld). Often times a cord with thorns in it would be drawn through the tongue or the a perforator would be used on intimate areas to draw blood.

as a final note Apocalypto is based on the Book of Mormons interpretation of the Maya in the New World.
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

"Oh, now he's a philosophizer" Baylorguy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like the weather was nice as well. Great pictures.

Hear the Call of Nepenthes carnivoure12's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I pitured mayan tamples to be more... exciting.
    -Carnivoure12
    →Growlist

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by droseraguy View Post
    Those are awesome !! I would totally have loved to do this. How was your cruise ? Did you guys get to see some other areas ??
    The cruise was great. We also went to Cozumel, Mexico and Roatan, Honduras. In those places we mainly went to the beaches and got some serious R&R (and a massively purple sunburn ). I'll post some more pictures of the beaches and the other areas once I get through those.

Quote Originally Posted by lambdlth View Post
    Nice pictures. Interesting, that pyramid looks very similar to Uxmal in the northern territory of Yucatan. I thought it was unique to that region, apparently not. Did you clap at it? I think the rounded pyramids make an odd sound as well as the square ones.
    Costa Maya is on the Yucatan peninsula (but more southern about an hour from the coast).

Quote Originally Posted by ktulu View Post
    Those pictures are amazing. Any idea as to the period these date to? is the structure pre-classic?
    If I remember correctly, this area was built in the classic period (if I remember pre classic was up until 50 AD or 100 AD?). I think these temples were started in the transition period and most were constructed around 700 AD.

Quote Originally Posted by ktulu View Post
    As for the auto sacrifice, blood was required to open a portal to the other worlds (the sky and Xibalba the underworld). Often times a cord with thorns in it would be drawn through the tongue or the a perforator would be used on intimate areas to draw blood.
    The guide did not mention anything about the portal (which is pretty disappointing after the fact...) unless they did while I was away from the group looking at other things. She did talk about the tongue and "intimate areas" as you said.

Quote Originally Posted by Baylorguy View Post
    Looks like the weather was nice as well. Great pictures.
    The weather was perfect. It did rain for about ten minutes while we were walking around; but that was to be expected.

Quote Originally Posted by carnivoure12 View Post
    I pitured mayan tamples to be more... exciting.
    You sound like my wife!

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Hear the Call of Nepenthes carnivoure12's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Xvart are buying more plants?

Well they must be more interesting upclose, i should stop watching those documentries in which they recreate the people and restore them.
    -Carnivoure12
    →Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok so it is classic, I am not a Mesoamericanist so I wasnt sure, but 700 A.D. is toward the end of the Maya classic period.

As for its unimpressive nature the problem is the inside where all the murals and such are is the part of temples that are usually the most beautiful. Also these would have likely been plastered and painted plus pieces of obsidian decoration etc. that would have made them much more impressive in their prime. 1300 years of rain and plant growth have taken their toll on the structure and removed much of the color and part of the beauty.
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xvart View Post
    We did see some leaf cutter ants! I didn't get any pictures, though. I didn't think about it until afterwords and then couldn't find anymore.
    Very cool. I would guess you saw a species in the Atta genus but, there are a few other. Their queens are an inch in size or LARGER. They are usually the species of ant that are put on display or used in studies because of how easy they are too feed, they don't require hibernation, and a very prolific with a few different castes. It is very cool to see how the queen dwarfs her daughters. This is a very good example of the queen's size. http://www.myrmecos.net/myrmicinae/AttTex31.html
    That species is known as Atta texana and is native to the area around the Mexican boarder (it spreads father north then south, its range ends at the Mississippi River.)

Lol, when ever someone acknowledges anything I say about ants I am forced to give the ant a bio.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ktulu, I thought the Mayan only did iconic statuary carvings, those squared figures in boxes ("glyphs"?) and the calendars as decoration. I didn't know they ever did any murals or paintings of any kind. Are any of their murals still existing and viewable online somewhere? I'd love to see the style!

I never saw that movie you guys are talking about but they sure chose an odd source material!? What was the reason for using that and not archaeological research?

All this talk makes me want to go pick up the huge Encyclopedia of Aztec and Mayan Civilization they have at Borders Books on my way to work tonight....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast