Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mayan Temples

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mayan Temples

I haven't been around for a week because my wife and I were on vacation. We went down to Honduras and Mexico on a cruise. One of the stops was Costa Maya, Mexico, where we went to the Mayan city of Chacchoben. It was amazing. We started out next to this large temple:

Then we wondered around a little more and then went up thirty some large steps, and to my surprise was greeted to the beautiful site of a large clearance with a large temple and several smaller temples. Mind you, this was all raised up and I couldn't even see the temples above from the bottom of the stairs!

These are only some of the pictures I grabbed real fast, and I'll probably upload more as I sort through them (and some pictures from some of the other places we were. I also did a panaramic picture from the top but I still need to combine the pictures.

It was quite a site. I had always wanted to visit some of the ancient Maya civilizations.

It's good to be back!

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very beautiful! I am so glad you got to go see these wonderful structures. Very cool.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's amazing man! Can you go there at night, or can you camp there? It would be so awesome to be there at night!

I saw on TV a while ago Walmart wanted to build a store not very far from one of these temples. Nothing could be grosser (when viewed from a distance) than a Walmart crowned with a Mayan temple!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm jealous! You got to go down into the range of leaf cutter ants! I can't even get down into Arizona to look at the desert leaf cutter ant. Also nice pictures, I am more fond of the Aztecs though, they built their capital on a lake.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! That must've been an exciting experience, being able to see ancient temples and ruins. I've always wanted to go see some myself. Thanks for sharing.
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our guide said that during the excavation (still going on) they had not yet found any indications of human sacrifice; however, they did find evidence that the Maya people would offer self sacrifice, by which I mean that when they would do their extravagant piercings they would donate their blood to the temple and obviously the more blood the better.

Quote Originally Posted by swords View Post
    That's amazing man! Can you go there at night, or can you camp there? It would be so awesome to be there at night!
    Nope, you couldn't (or aren't supposed to). They didn't have any protection or fences. The informational signs said normal park hours were 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. I doubt they have much trouble because our guide said that their main draw was cruise boats so nobody would be staying at night.

However, the guide did talk about how a few of them were able to get permission from the government to climb them during the winter/summer solstice and the equinoxes to take photos of the sun rising and lining up with the temples. She showed us some pictures they took and they were amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by swords View Post
    I saw on TV a while ago Walmart wanted to build a store not very far from one of these temples. Nothing could be grosser (when viewed from a distance) than a Walmart crowned with a Mayan temple!
    Yeah, that would be disastrous. I doubt there will even be that threat in this area because it was still pretty ravaged from Hurricane Dean a couple of years ago and there was not a lot around this area.

Quote Originally Posted by Ant View Post
    I'm jealous! You got to go down into the range of leaf cutter ants! I can't even get down into Arizona to look at the desert leaf cutter ant. Also nice pictures, I am more fond of the Aztecs though, they built their capital on a lake.
    We did see some leaf cutter ants! I didn't get any pictures, though. I didn't think about it until afterwords and then couldn't find anymore.

Although the movie was terrible and had zero basis in reality, visiting here made my wife and I want to watch Apocolyto again.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those are awesome !! I would totally have loved to do this. How was your cruise ? Did you guys get to see some other areas ??
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and The American G. I. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
    Romans 10: 9-13
    Growlist http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index...04&#entry90304

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice pictures. Interesting, that pyramid looks very similar to Uxmal in the northern territory of Yucatan. I thought it was unique to that region, apparently not. Did you clap at it? I think the rounded pyramids make an odd sound as well as the square ones.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast